Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Croissants 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Croissants
Posted on Catherine Delors's "Versailles and More" blog yesterday:
http://blog.catherinedelors.com/2008/07/20/marie-antoinettes-unsung-legacy-to-french-food-the-croissant.aspx
The next time I have a croissant, I'll think of La Reine! :queen:

Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Croissants
That's very interesting! I've always thought of croissants as French, but I guess they're Austrian...
I love croissants, they're so light and yummy.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Interesting! Well, now I know why I like croissants so much :)

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

oh how i love croissants. i eat them every morning that or madelines

Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

What do u think about almond cream croissants? :wink:

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:54 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

i like it when they have cheese inside, and I, too, love madelines. Hmmm.... I just thought maybe I should serve croissants at my baby shower, with orange water or lemon water.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 am
Royalty
Royalty

:bunny: good

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I ate a pain du chocolat this afternoon, I must admit it was mouth-wateringly delicious! :shock:

Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:22 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

How interesting. I knew that the croissant was shaped like a crescent moon and I knew that it was to celebrate a victory over the Moslem armies, but I did not know that it was Marie who introduced them to the French. I thought it had come from the Crusader period or something. I am going to include this fact in my book. They are so delicious, especially when warm and soft, like our 'crescent rolls' here in America. Have you ever had one with chocolate inside or, even better, butter and Rose Jam (made with real rose petals)? My mouth is watering. Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:41 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Sillage de la Reine wrote:
i like it when they have cheese inside, and I, too, love madelines. Hmmm.... I just thought maybe I should serve croissants at my baby shower, with orange water or lemon water.

that would be excelent baby shower food. It's light and perfect for summertime.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

sounds good!!!

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:18 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

amelia-marie wrote:
Sillage de la Reine wrote:

that would be excelent baby shower food. It's light and perfect for summertime.

Yeah, I thought about using Nutella (a hazelnut, chocolate with skim milk spread), they go great with croissants, english muffins, toast, just about any pastry, and even crepes with strawberries and banana. This thread got me thinking about food history. How did crepes come about in France, I heard it was created during the times France starved just before the revolution. Flour was scarce, so the people battered it down to make the most out of what they got. Correct me if I'm wrong, and please do share what the real facts are. I like sharing French history with my fellow Americans, because though I'm Asian, i have French in my blood on my mother's side. It's the side of me I'm trying to embrace more.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Crepes originate from Brittany, a region in the west of France. It is said that crepes were born in this region because they couldn't grow enough wheat to bake bread due to the poor quality of the soil. This was probably long before the Revolution.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:12 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think nutella would be perfect. It really gets that sweet craving taken care of. I'm just held a baby shower on saturday at my house, I wish I would of thought of it sooner.

Oh, but crepes sound good, too! Just have it all, you're pregnant you have ever excuse!

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

amelia-marie wrote:
I think nutella would be perfect. It really gets that sweet craving taken care of. I'm just held a baby shower on saturday at my house, I wish I would of thought of it sooner.

Oh, but crepes sound good, too! Just have it all, you're pregnant you have ever excuse!

sure is a good excuse, but the problem is, no matter how much I eat, I still stay the same weight since my 12th week, and I'm 22 weeks already. Nurses are telling me that's a bad thing, but they don't realize that I'm losing my own personal weight, because my belly is huge for someone in my stage of pregnancy. So the baby is definitely growing and is healthy, I'm losing while he's gaining. Well I feel fine, so I guess have to just eat more to make the clinic happy. Anyways, please pass the croissants this way, thank you!

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next