Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Anywhere But Here 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Anywhere But Here
I will. I can't wait now!

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:30 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sure! hav fun!!!!

Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi! I've always thought about being there to change things. The idea of how a series of coincidences and mistakes led the royal family to their tragic death grips my very soul sometimes...and I find myself wishing it could go another way. Once I even dreamt that I had a time machime and saved MA!
Thinking about it, I would have liked to be an intellectual of journalist, and try to support the ideals of equality showing people how they could be reached without violence....even if I know that it can seem quite impossible. But one can always hope in a better world, can't she?

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am an journalist!

Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:15 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

annies sis wrote:
o please tell me the auther! i find your story so amazing! funny how much we have in common????

I can't remember the author, she told me, but when you're pregnant you forget everything so easily. She will come in to see me again, and she promised to bring in the book to read to me, and eventually I'll get the book myself, for I have very fascinating dreams. This client of mine though, she's a very interesting character.
I have so much in common with everybody here, it's really nice to know people who have that much passion for MA, and I can talk about her all I want, and you guys just love it more instead of thinking I'm some sort of nut case! I'm sure if we all went back into the past together, we'd be able to save her from the revolutionaries.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As a teenager, I liked to imagine that I could go back in time and switch places with Louis XVI, send him to my time and become Louis myself. Then I imagined that the first thing I would do as the King, would be to exile the whole Orleans clan, pack them all of to some barren island where they could make no more trouble. I also liked to think about how I would try to stop the Revolution before it began, crush it in its early stages. I probably would have made everything much worse.....but it was fun thinking about it.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:40 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Christophe wrote:
As a teenager, I liked to imagine that I could go back in time and switch places with Louis XVI, send him to my time and become Louis myself. Then I imagined that the first thing I would do as the King, would be to exile the whole Orleans clan, pack them all of to some barren island where they could make no more trouble. I also liked to think about how I would try to stop the Revolution before it began, crush it in its early stages. I probably would have made everything much worse.....but it was fun thinking about it.

I'd have to get ride of the Orleans clan as well.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think I might focas more on stopping the necklace affair.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:11 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Oh now I'm feeling left out/ I never dream...at ;east not that I can remember lol. but that past life thing sounds very interesting.

If I could go back in time I'd try to cut down on the spending work on the public image and if that didn't work, get them out before. As great as that sounds I thikn they'd think I was crazy telling them they'd die a horrible death unless they left now. I'd probably chicken out. :? :(

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh what I'd love to do as Louis XVI!! Providing I could go back in time with hindsight intact:
Not finance the American Revolution.
Tax the nobility.
Encourage Industrialization (sending spys to England to steal their secrets).
End surfdom sooner.
Reduce the # of courtiers.
Wage all-out war against the libels.
Reduce/remove all the various customs and duties on commerce within France.
Centralize Royal authority in the provinces.
Found a penal colony some place in the new world where I could ship all the undesirables (like England did) thereby reducing the number of malcontents within France.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:06 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Like...Australia? :lol: Many of the convicts sent to Australia by England were not "malcontents", they were not political enemies of the Crown. Many women and children were sent merely for stealing an apple or a loaf of bread to feed their starving family. Of course, there were also hardened criminals sent too, but England had a big problem with their justice system if their jails were overflowing to the point where they needed to send the excess here!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:28 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Christophe wrote:
Oh what I'd love to do as Louis XVI!! Providing I could go back in time with hindsight intact:
Not finance the American Revolution.
Tax the nobility.
Encourage Industrialization (sending spys to England to steal their secrets).
End surfdom sooner.
Reduce the # of courtiers.
Wage all-out war against the libels.
Reduce/remove all the various customs and duties on commerce within France.
Centralize Royal authority in the provinces.
Found a penal colony some place in the new world where I could ship all the undesirables (like England did) thereby reducing the number of malcontents within France.

Sounds really good.

Also maybe go back a few generations and cut down some of there spending.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Like...Australia? :lol: Many of the convicts sent to Australia by England were not "malcontents", they were not political enemies of the Crown. Many women and children were sent merely for stealing an apple or a loaf of bread to feed their starving family. Of course, there were also hardened criminals sent too, but England had a big problem with their justice system if their jails were overflowing to the point where they needed to send the excess here!

Or like my own country: America. England also sent their convicts and poor here as well, giving them a new chance to make something of themselves, while at the same time reducing the number of hungry in England. The problem in both England and France at that time, indeed in all of Europe: there were more people than resources.

I find it ironic that, because of the Revolution, France has been historically criticized for neglecting/mistreating its poor, when in fact, the rest of Europe was much worse. The German states, Italian states, Spain, Austria, Russia---shocking numbers of poor routinely starved to death every winter. It was so common place that nobody thought much about it. Yet France, where starvation was not so routine (unless it was a particularly harsh winter), is held up as the bad apple of the 18th Century.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:38 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Alas, only by those who don't know any better. The peasantry was generally better off in 18th century France than anywhere else in Europe except England. They owned a whopping 67% of what they farmed. Not that life as a peasant was great *anywhere,* but it was generally better than the alternative. Though I guess you could note that's why revolutions happen... Things are getting better, but they aren't getting better fast enough for people.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

wow, nice ideas everyone! :D

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next