Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette and the arts of her time 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Marie Antoinette and the arts of her time
i am following a rather detailed and quite facinating course on Marie Antoinette and the creative arts of her time.

As always with Marie Antoinette people under-estimate just how much she was a patron of the arts of her time and just how deeply involved she was.

The course is run by an eminent art historain at the Sorbonne.

Furniture, clocks, perfume burners, candlelabras, boiseries, interior decoration..all is looked at in great detail. We have already studied in detail many wonderful works of decorative art...including the incredible chaiirs for the Belvédère at Trianon. We discover the techniques used to make them so decorative, for example three or four different types of craftsmen would succeed each other to make one chair, the last being the most expensive with the silk covers. On Thursday we will explore in detail the exquisite "cabinet doré" in her private appartments at Versailles, the most intact and homogenous of her interior decorations. One anecdote made me smile..because of the damp Versailles climate, a man was paid to light a brazier and sleep by it every night in the Belvedère in the Trianon gardens to avoid damp getting to the furniture!! :) Love it, so decadent!! :)

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:46 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinette and the arts of her time
I wish I could take a course! That sounds fascinating. But as of now I am engaged with a dual major- Fashion design and History. So I really wish where I'm studying offered a course like that!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]