Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture. 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.
Comte de Provence wrote:
Atleast they have not come up with an MA makeup!

And if they did it probably would be very provocative! :angry6:

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

ha!

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
Comte de Provence wrote:
Atleast they have not come up with an MA makeup!

And if they did it probably would be very provocative! :angry6:

:angry4:
:angry9:
But very colorful :D

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

In what way?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi all! I've seen this very interesting thread just now, and I feel in a very similar way as Marja Vera. I love MA's figure very much, both because I find her historically interesting and personally charming, and because her tragic story makes me feel particularly sympathetic. But I think that a great part of the interest surrounding her now is superficial. I think the Coppola movie (though I don't dislike it, as I've already said) gave start to a fashionable kind of interest which focuses only on a fake image of her as a kind of stylish and frivolous starlet of her time. All this, in my opinion, adds just more injustice to the injustice she already suffered. It helps perpetuating the idea that she was just that, while she was much more.
The first time I saw her face on a mug, or the doll with a popping had, I was honestly disappointed by the bad taste. I think pwople own some respect to a person who had such a tragic end. I would also like to wear a t shirt with her symbol or with a rose as a remand to her, but of course not one with "let them eat cake" on it!

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

here here!

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
I think the Coppola movie (though I don't dislike it, as I've already said) gave start to a fashionable kind of interest which focuses only on a fake image of her as a kind of stylish and frivolous starlet of her time.

That image was not fake. She was a kind of stylish and frivolous starlet of her time but people exaggerated so much that she became perverse, child molesting animal. The problem is that no one looks deeper in her character; it is enough to say “She liked to party and have extravagant hair; she was a Paris Hilton of her time” People must know about her marriage problems, how young she was when she arrived to France and how she loved to have privacy and to hide away from the protocol. People must see the other side of her life, not only the fancy dresses and big hair… Days of the Revolution are also extremely important. Shallow woman could not have showed such a dignity and bravery.

Rosalie wrote:
All this, in my opinion, adds just more injustice to the injustice she already suffered. It helps perpetuating the idea that she was just that, while she was much more.

Yes, with these overly sexual, disrespectful market products, propaganda of the revolution is still lasting and some people will never see Marie Antoinette the way she really was. :?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i agree! it makes me soooooo sad! :cry:

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:15 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I wrote "fake" because I think that image of MA is like a picture with only two dimension (if you accept the metaphor). You see traits of her personalty like her love for mondanity or her attention to fashion, but you can't understand where it came from. So she becomes a kind of Barbie. If you know her story, on the contrary, you understand that they were also ways to compensate for a sense of loneliness and for the dificulties she found without being prepared for them. And you also see them in their contexts.
If you see that part of her charchter, chrming though it may be, one does her an injustice, I think.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wow! Barbie? Bad choice of words, I think!

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The writers & people in general who still cling to the old M.A. cliches are not really interested in her. It's easier for them to just repeat what they've always heard, than to actually pick up a book and read about her. I see this all the time in the media, even on the History Channel.
Whenever I am confronted with such ignorance, I don't bother trying to explain about the real Antoinette. Instead, I ask the offending person a question:

"Will you please tell me what made M.A. such a bad person?"

Inevitably I receive some version of the "she wasted pots of money while her people starved."

"Interesting,"
I always say. "So what about the men who killed her? What made them so virtuous?"

Blank Stare. They have no idea. Occassionaly, I might get "They stood for freedom," or some such nonsense.

To which I reply, sarcastically, "The men who killed her were guilty of mass murder, theft and treason, among other things.... Oh, but they stood for 'freedom,' so I guess that makes it all right."

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, people who think that are just ignorant.
Lucjkily, I think that now less people see her in this way. One must recognize that Coppola's movie, whtaever can be its faults, had the merit to humanize MA. But I still think that a lot of people who look at her with sympathy now have an attitude like "She was, cool, she was beautiful, she was fashionable, well she was also frivolous but that made her even cooler".
I think this is not the right way either...
Why do you think Barbie is a bad choiche of words? I just meant a fashionable person with nothing deeper...with no offence for Barbie of course :wink:

Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
Yes, people who think that are just ignorant.
Lucjkily, I think that now less people see her in this way. One must recognize that Coppola's movie, whtaever can be its faults, had the merit to humanize MA. But I still think that a lot of people who look at her with sympathy now have an attitude like "She was, cool, she was beautiful, she was fashionable, well she was also frivolous but that made her even cooler".
I think this is not the right way either...
Why do you think Barbie is a bad choiche of words? I just meant a fashionable person with nothing deeper...with no offence for Barbie of course :wink:

lol! No, i thought you ment it like a air head! srry!

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:19 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No problem :lol:

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think today, Rachel Zoe and Anna Wintour have become epitomous of the image that the people believed MA to be.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next