Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture. 
Post Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.
Well, we should never take things for granted, especially when it comes to history. I just hate when people call MA a bitch because she "said" Let them eat cake. That's so illiberal! :angry1:

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know, I hate it too.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 pm
Here's something else I think that belongs to this topic, MA paper dolls.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I own that book of paper dolls! Despite some of the outfits being not very correct, I actually think they're nice to look at (even though the doll looks like Norma Shearer!), especially the one with the orange muff... In the back of the book it has information about Madame Bertin, which is good to know.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 pm
I forgot to mention. Those were not scanned by me. It was a gift from a friend who owns the book :wink:

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:53 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I like them :biggrin:

reine :angel6:

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:07 am
I didnt know about Marie Antoinette until the newest film came out. I hear that the movie was not so accurate, but how so? Did Marie Antoinette even say "Let them eat cake?"...I wonder.. :)

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:24 pm
The film was not so accurate, but it wasn't even meant to be. However, I simply adore it and the image I had about MA is even better than before just because of the film. No matter what some people say, I think Coppola's MA is really a unique and adorable queen.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:59 pm
Anasophia Elizabeth wrote:
Did Marie Antoinette even say "Let them eat cake?"...I wonder.. :)

No, she never said that!! I truly hope one day justice will be done to her. It's outrageous that people believe she said that!

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anasophia Elizabeth---

No she most definitely did NOT say "Let them eat cake." It is even doubted that anybody ever said this. It was probably just a lie made up by her enemies to make her look bad. There was a lot of that going on.

The recent movie (which I liked) was inaccurate in a lot of ways.
1) The hair and costumes were not quite right (if anything, they were not lavish enough).
2) Antoinette was always seen eating delicious looking sweets and pastries, but in real life it is known that she was a very light eater.
3) Her friend Gabrielle in the movie was completely different than the actual Gabrielle---not nearly so lewd or vulgar as she seems in the movie.
4) Louis XV, the "old king" was not really such a sloppy-looking pig as seen in the movie. Neither was Du Barry for that matter.
5) There is no historical proof that Antoinette and Count Fersen actually had an affair, just speculation.
6) Antoinette was a very light drinker; she was not always guzzling champagne as in the movie.
7) One of the royal aunts was left out of the movie---there were 3 living at Versailles, not 2.
8) In the movie, Provence and his wife have the first baby, but in reality it was Artois. Provence never had any children.
9) Louis XVI was actually much taller and heavier (in later life he was fat) than in the movie.
10) A great deal about Antoinette's life was left out, like the Diamond Necklace scandal for one.
11) A lot of the protocol or ettiquette of the Versailles Court was either glossed over or ignored in the movie. For example: in Gabrielle's first scene where she meets the Queen, she simply walks into the royal opera box and introduces herself. This never could have happened in real life---only the highest ranking princes were allowed to address the Queen without invitation.

On the other hand, there were some things in the movie that were not too far off the mark. Most of it was filmed at Versailles and the Petit Trianon in the actual rooms were Antoinette lived. She did like to party and have a good time, and she did love fashion and jewelry. She did have a feud with Du Barry, encouraged by the aunts. I thought the relationship between Antoinette and Louis was well done---distrust and awkwardness at first, with a gradual deepening of trust, respect and mutual dependence over time. Also I think the film did a credible job of showing the boredom and constraints of court life, and why Antoinette loved to escape to the Petit Trianon with a few close friends.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 pm
Yes, all true. It's not a film for someone who wants to know more about MA or who knows nothing about her. But I still think it's beautiful.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:40 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, I think its a lovely film too. I enjoy watching it over and over. I also think it serves as a good introduction to MA for those who don't know anything about her.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:50 pm
As an introduction yes, but it should not be considered as a reliable source or an usual biopic. I think Coppola tried to make MA more close to youngsters and not another boring historical film or a blockbuster.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:05 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Christophe wrote:
Oh, I think its a lovely film too. I enjoy watching it over and over. I also think it serves as a good introduction to MA for those who don't know anything about her.

that is right :wave:

reine :angel6:

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:10 pm
*Smiles* Thank you for letting me know so. :)

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next