Marie Antoinette Online Forum
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/

Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1283
Page 1 of 14

Author:  Marija Vera [ Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

I have read somewhere that “Marie Antoinette is a big part of today’s pop culture”
That line gave me some thoughts. I find it good to be inspired by some person and to feel a need to say your opinion and correct the big history injustice. I like the fact that there are so many M.A. experts but I have started to realize how there are many shallow reasons why some people love M.A. without feeling the need to see her deeper. Coppola movie made M.A. a trend; way of frivolous, glamorous life without much showing what was under it. I just wait that someone compare M.A. with Paris Hilton and then to go crazy.

I am interested what you think about this subject and the M.A. trend. Personally I see M.A. as an historical character, I like her but not obsessively, I don’t think I am her reincarnation or something like that. I like the 18th century so I am more keen to mark my self and my life (by accessories, furniture, symbols…) with symbols that represents the glory of one century than one person. Maybe this is weird but I think that she can’t really rest in peace with all this fame and publicity for some stupid reasons. People again judge on her and her life, see only her extravagance and imagine her decadence, only they find it cool now. Again, she is a market product, like she was a star on those ugly pamphlets.

Personally, I would give up all the beautiful items inspired by M.A. if I knew I would never see an action figure as the one below. I like this Barbie Marie Antoinette doll, it looks really beautiful but these lollipops make me sick. This subject caused me a real headache so I am very interested to hear you opinion.

Attachments:
15923_w.jpg
15923_w.jpg [ 20.02 KiB | Viewed 8096 times ]
Cherry Flavored Marie Antoinette Head Lollipops.jpg
Cherry Flavored Marie Antoinette Head Lollipops.jpg [ 25.77 KiB | Viewed 8100 times ]
MA.JPG
MA.JPG [ 34.12 KiB | Viewed 8102 times ]

Author:  Madame Vigée-Le Brun [ Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Marija Vera wrote:
Personally I see M.A. as an historical character, I like her but not obsessively, I don’t think I am her reincarnation or something like that.


I love her very much, but I don't believe I'm her reincarnation... :shock:

Anyway, I have to admit, I own the little ejector-head doll but I refuse to take her head off. That's just... disrespectful. :(

I do not like that fact that Marie Antoinette has become part of pop culture, I don't like that she is viewed only as a fashion icon. People only see her as a frivolous teenager who bought jewelry worth more than life it's self... People forget that there's much more to her life than pastries and pretty dresses... :roll:
And I agree, she can't really rest in peace while people think of her as the Paris Hilton of the 18th century.

Author:  Elle [ Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

I think the little glass statue is beautiful, if the head did not come off! I do like the Barbie. The pops are like heads on pikes and horrible.
I don't think Marie Antoinette would ever want to come back to this earth in another life, but I also think she would not wish to be forgotten.
maybe she would liked to be remembered as a beautiful fashion icon, a good mother, and someone who was victimized beyond belief, or human endurance. Like saints, they don't rest, and people think of them all the time.
Certainly it's wrong to focus on her head in a basket, or the nasty pamphlets, but I don't think it's wrong to reflect upon her nicely. I think she would like that.

Author:  Madame Vigée-Le Brun [ Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Yes, but, the thing is, people don't reflect upon her nicely. People don't see her as she was, a good mother, a victim. People will see her as an airhead until there's a blockbuster movie saying she wasn't.

Author:  versailles [ Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

omg! those toys/candy are shameful!!!! they would never do that for George Washington or Queen Victoria! there would be an uproar!!!!!!!!!! what about Charles I he lost his head too!!!!! Mary Queen of Scots.......etc!

Author:  Queens Honor [ Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Well....I have been known to refer to myself as a reincarnated member of her court at the very least :queen: Marie-Antoinette is more than just a fashion figure to so many of us which should be evident from the variety of topics that are addressed regularly on this forum alone. We want to know EVERYTHING about her - which is why we may sometimes seem "obsessed". It's hard to explain to someone who perhaps doesn't have a great love for M.A. directly (rather a respect for her, as a part of the 18th Century...) but I can literally imagine myself (in full costume) walking in the enormous halls of Versailles; and I've only seen pictures! I can imagine the grand presentation of everything from the dressing ceremonies to dining in public, etc. I can "feel" her exasperation at trying to conceive a child with a King that literally had no interest (or at least lacked the courage to "act" on it) for YEARS....and the desperation of watching not one but TWO of her children be laid to rest before her death. Although some may despise the fact that she has gained addition popularity lately with the Coppola movie - I think ALL EXPOSURE of this grand lady is a good thing, it gets people interested & those that believe the "surface material" - would have only been that deep regardless of what they had been shown on the movie screen. For some, however, it opens a whole world of questions about this beautiful, graceful queen!

Author:  amelia-marie [ Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

I think all these toys are in poor taste. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't buy a doll of some one who was stabbed to death, with knife wounds in it's back. Why would I buy a doll that's head came off. People will do anything for money.

My boyfriend once said something really nasty along the lines of " why are you so interested in the Paris Hilton of that time? She cheated on her husband and didn't care about anyone but herself". The only reason he has this horrible perspective is because of the Coppula film. I think the film was beautiful, I loved the colours, the dresses, the settings and the soundtrack. But beyond that it was so unamusing. It's a shame that so many others have that oppion. Paris, to me, is beyond discusting. The only things they have in common are wealth and hm... blonde hair? Anyways...

The reason I am so interested in Marie Antoinette, is because my father showed me a picture of her when I had to be about 5 or 6 and told me a little bit about her. Ever since then I just wanted to know more. I was in an airport in Los Angeles when I was 12 and picked up the Antoinia Fraiser book. I never would say "oh, I'm so much like her" or "I'm her reincarnated". That's silly. It's just an appreciation.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

First off, Paris Hilton? NOT AT ALL. :angry4: :evil:
Second, They're wavering amounts of evidence now that may say the whole Fersen thing was nothing more than a friendship.
Third, The barbie is beautiful. Even if she is wearing the necklace. Its beautiful.

Author:  Elle [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Oh my god Comte, she is wearing the necklace....But, she is also wearing it wrong, in the PBS film the Jeweler tied the blue ribbons to her shoulders and it was more like a collar to her dress. the smaller around her neck, the long pieces hang from the shoulders. I love the Coppola movie and I think Marie Antoinette is a Saint. When I read the first book about her (Fraisers), the end wiped me out for days. I nearly couldn't stand it. My whole little 3rd grade class believes both Marie and Louis are saints. Hopefully I could plant a little seed there. They said "Oh Poor King Louis."..... If coppola would have finished the story, It is absolutely heart wrenching....... What stuff Marie Antoinette was made of, Still to apologize for stepping on the Executioners foot.. a saint.
Something else, I don't think she wants to rest, and who knows why Coppola wanted to make her movie in the first place. She may have been moved by a pervading sadness that moves through some of those back rooms in Versailles. Marie Antoinette does not want to be forgotten. I really don't think so.

Author:  Elle [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
Yes, but, the thing is, people don't reflect upon her nicely. People don't see her as she was, a good mother, a victim. People will see her as an airhead until there's a blockbuster movie saying she wasn't.


We do, and that is worth something. Alot of people are very narrow minded. Alot of others just plainly have a low IQ. A large portion of this group is functionaly illiterate. you are right about that block buster. Comte... He is going to produce it. and it will star Dakota Fanning which will only puctuate her youth and inexperieance. But actually you could not reach the majority with it anyway...unless it starred Chuck Norris.. because in the words of my esteemed life partner: "If I watch that movie it will turn me gay" I don't care if she did sleep with Fersen,(i am not saying she did) or party, or spend alot of money. She was a good person, a devoted Friend, a wonderful mother, a victim of many...including De Polignac's whole family, and a Martar and Saint. She was not afraid to be different, and usually that brings a certain type of contempt from the largest group of people who are narrow minded and not bright enough see anything in a new way.I don't think Everybody in the world could "Get Her." but I think more do now.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Elle wrote:
Oh my god Comte, she is wearing the necklace....But, she is also wearing it wrong, in the PBS film the Jeweler tied the blue ribbons to her shoulders and it was more like a collar to her dress. the smaller around her neck, the long pieces hang from the shoulders. I love the Coppola movie and I think Marie Antoinette is a Saint. When I read the first book about her (Fraisers), the end wiped me out for days. I nearly couldn't stand it. My whole little 3rd grade class believes both Marie and Louis are saints. Hopefully I could plant a little seed there. They said "Oh Poor King Louis."..... If coppola would have finished the story, It is absolutely heart wrenching....... What stuff Marie Antoinette was made of, Still to apologize for stepping on the Executioners foot.. a saint.
Something else, I don't think she wants to rest, and who knows why Coppola wanted to make her movie in the first place. She may have been moved by a pervading sadness that moves through some of those back rooms in Versailles. Marie Antoinette does not want to be forgotten. I really don't think so.


I prefer the way the doll is wearing it.

Author:  Marija Vera [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

Personally I don’t find the Coppola movie abot M.A. that bad. The point is that it reflects only the one side of her character that is more fascinating to some people than her sad end. To be truly in love with M.A. you must know both.

The main difference between Marie Antoinette and Paris Hilton is that M.A. always wanted to live normal, to have a private life outside the court. Paris wants publicity, negative or positive, and she takes advantage of it. Marie A. was famous for being a queen and Paris Hilton is famous for being famous. M.A. liked to have fun, she was cheerful and playful but that is not enough to compare it with Paris Hilton. You can’t just compare her with anybody; she was truly unique as her destiny.

Queens Honor wrote:
It's hard to explain to someone who perhaps doesn't have a great love for M.A. directly (rather a respect for her, as a part of the 18th Century...) but I can literally imagine myself (in full costume) walking in the enormous halls of Versailles; and I've only seen pictures! I can imagine the grand presentation of everything from the dressing ceremonies to dining in public, etc. I can "feel" her exasperation at trying to conceive a child with a King that literally had no interest (or at least lacked the courage to "act" on it) for YEARS....and the desperation of watching not one but TWO of her children be laid to rest before her death.


Yes, I do feel as a part of the 18th century, 18th century is my inspiration but I know who I am, my real background. I don’t like when anyone say “I think I am a reincarnation of M.A.”, It’s just silly, everybody can compare himself and wants to compare himself with some great person. As I said, M.A. was unique as all of us are, she does not have a copy. I can imagine myself in her circumstances, not as her. Her life fascinates me even her personality is so different from mine. Still, if she had a copy, that wouldn’t be just any of us, but some great person, known in world, special as she was.

amelia-marie wrote:
I never would say "oh, I'm so much like her" or "I'm her reincarnated". That's silly. It's just an appreciation.


Same.

amelia-marie wrote:
I think all these toys are in poor taste. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't buy a doll of some one who was stabbed to death, with knife wounds in it's back. Why would I buy a doll that's head came off. People will do anything for money.


I agree. I find them just horrible. It so sick to have a market product like that, try to make one tragic death funny. She was a real person, she had a cruel execution by the guillotine, and how anyone could find that amusing? I feel we are not different from a society back than at all.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

But of course, the barbie was made in an appreciation for MA showing her ALIVE, and healty.
Not, making fun.

Author:  versailles [ Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

yeah they do do Barbies for all the famous people MA should be flattered lol

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Marie Antoinette as a part of the pop culture.

versailles wrote:
yeah they do do Barbies for all the famous people MA should be flattered lol

Exactly.

Page 1 of 14 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/