Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Marie-Antoinette: Secular Saint? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Marie-Antoinette: Secular Saint?
Dear Reader: I guess it's out of the question to promote this queen as a saint, although it's probably been pursued, how do feel about the almost equivalent of considering her as a secular saint. Isn't she as deserving of "worship" as our contemporary celebrities? I believe she is worthy of our reverence on many levels, whether it be at the alter of fashion or as a serious model of the human capacity for endurance against unimaginable terror. Let's hear your thoughts!

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie-Antoinette: Secular Saint?
Well, you're a tad late with the general idea:

Quote:
"It is known that there was, at a certain time, such serious question of canonizing Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette that a yearly service was prepared to introduce into the Breviary and the Missal." In 1885, a single copy of this "curious volume" existed in the parish of St. Louis en L'Ile. (Intermediare de Chercheurs, 1885 (750))

http://jimcheval.com/sundries/s12.html

As to what I think? She was a woman with her good points and her bad, one of many victims of the Revolution. If I were going to canonize someone from that group, it would more likely be someone like Lavoisier, whose scientific accomplishments did not outweigh the fact that he had been a tax farmer.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that Marie Antoinette would have been embarrassed by the idea.....

This is indeed not a new idea and in the Catholic royalist circles this idea still continues to this day, as a pamphlet promoting the canonisation of Louis XVI at Marie Antoinette's recent memorial mass attests.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I also knew she and Louis underwent a sort of "canonization" in royalist environment, and they're considered like martyrs sometimes. I agree with the Baron that she would be quite embarassed by such an attitude, and I don't think it's the right way to approach her figure. But you were probably speaking about another type of canonization, a "secular" one, like that of celebrities (if I take your meaning right): I must say I don't like this kind of attitude very much, either. I think the best way to honour a historical character we admire and we're interested in is just to appreciate his/her character with his/her faults and his/her good qualities, and try to understand his/her ways of acting and the context she/he lived in.
I the case, of MA, whom I'm deeply sympathetic with and whom I admire, I think she can be viewed as a strong, charming and intelligent woman, who made some mistakes which, in my opinion, make her even more fascinating, but I don't think she could be considered as a saint.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:41 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I very much appreciate Rosalie's comments. Yes, I know in all seriousness that the king and queen have been regarded by many as "saintly" in the religious sense - but for me, this takes the memory of their time into the toads den of the cathedrals. My angle I guess is to suggest that their saintliness is the type we, whom Providence has placed in an ugly cultural environment, bestow on sports figures and Hollywood burnouts. We have unintentionally perhaps unearthed poor Marie-Antoinette and added her to our crude Pantheon, where she doesn't belong at all. Better to let her rest in peace, and concentrate on the dazzling cultural world of her TIME.

Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

cherecoeur wrote:
I very much appreciate Rosalie's comments.

Thank you :)

cherecoeur wrote:
Better to let her rest in peace, and concentrate on the dazzling cultural world of her TIME.

Yes, and what a fascinating time it was! :queen:

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]