Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What would MA think about her popularity today? 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post What would MA think about her popularity today?
Do you think Marie Antoinette would be surprised that she is so popular today, and that so many people know her tragic story? Do you think she would be surprised that many people (like us forum members!) are sympathetic to her plight, given that at the time of her death her reputation was in tatters, and the people of France believed the Revolutionaries propaganda?

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: What would MA think about her popularity today?
I think she would be pleasantly surprised.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

hmmm i think shed be upset at what her image has become but shed find happyness in knowing that there are some people (aka us) who know who she really was

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:02 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I do not think she would be happy about "Marie Antoinette in popular culture" (see thread). Privately, I think she would feel vindicated in some way, that people in the future think so much more kindly of her. And she would be happy that so many of us are inspired by her and love her dearly. :love:

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:17 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I thikn she'd feel releaved that some people belive her and don't belive the propenganda. Also happy that there are peple here that would like to have helped her.

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

She'd be appalled by Coppola's portrayal of who she was, and I believe she would make her version, the real story of how her life really went down in the 18th century. Then everone in the world would appreciate her a lot more and all the propanda about her through history would be put to rest in shame and she'll be able to rest better knowing her reputation has been saved.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:17 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think she would be dismayed that the image of her as the frivolous, "let them eat cake"(!) Queen endured for so long, but relieved that people's views of her are changing, albeit slowly... :queen:

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:47 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think she would be appalled by Coppola's movie, too, but gratified by those like us who know more about her. She probably would feel that she was entitled to our admiration. After all, she was a queen and expected to be treated like one.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I also think she would be disappointed by her image in "popular culture", but she would be very pleased to know people (like us :) ) homour her memory and love her.

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She would be horrified to find out her image in popular culture, that is so similar to revolutionary propaganda, but yet happy because people are slowly changing their minds and going deeper in her story.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We are not as legion as all that.....many many people still associate her with her false catchphrase "let them eat cake" and with spendthrift selfishness.

However it is clear that the Queen would have been pleased with any sympathetic voices raised in her defence. She so needed to be loved. When she was badly received in Paris, or at the Etats Généraux in Versailles in May 1789, it badly affected her, just as when she was well received on her first visit to Paris, she was joyous, as her euphoric letter to her mother attests. She was so much in a microcosmic world of her own, that her fairly rare contacts with the "people" took on great importance for her, as she was after all their sovereign Queen. In their eyes she saw the reflection of her progress or regress, and the people proved an implacable judge.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, that's why I think she would be happy knowing some people don't just honour her memory, but also love her memory...
Yes, you catched her charcachter completely: she needed to be loved.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 pm
Noble
Noble

I think she would absolutely love the fact that people like us who dearly and ardently adore her are out there. She died a hated person, a loathed and despised one...I'm sure that never in her life did she come across people who love her as much as we do. (Excluding her family, of course)

Farewell, farewell!

-Marie Antoinette

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:53 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think she would be flattered. :queen:

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:03 pm
I cannot tell you how many times I have pondered this question!
I do sometimes think that,when I am writing about her,How must she feel?
I do know that this may sound a bit weird but I also wonder If she must ever feel freaked out at all the attention :p

A friend of mine bought an ouija board 2 days ago and Is planning to try and make contact but I am not in favour of this idea at all!
And If I may say,this website and all the people who attend the discussions are so nice and I feel quite happy that I have found a place full of those who share the same passion and are enthusiastic about learning more of Marie Antoinette!

Gosh,I think that was a bit embarrasing... :lol:

Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next