Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Her looks 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Chou-Charles, c'est magnifique, ce portrait-ci par Drouais!
Est-ce que c'est rare, cette robe en couleur de lilas? Jamais vue ca.
Elle me semble aussi tant fragile et jeune, quelle petite belle ravissante, mais aussi tant noble, auguste...

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Your French impresses me dear Aurora congratulation! :D

Ah yes this portrait by Drouais is one of my preferred (with that of 1783 with the dress "en Gaulle").
I don't know if this dress were widespread at this time, but it is a good question... Marie-Antoinette was still dauphine. ButI agree it is true that this love the Marie-Antoinette'sglance in this portrait: splendid eyes which fix you, innocent but given eyes... she seems to say something to us! And a really nice smile :wink:

I am under her charm :D

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes I love that one! thanks for posting it!

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:00 am

I found a picture of her death mask on the net, made by Madame Tussauds.

Also these are supposed to be strands of her hair. Is this real?

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:20 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes several wicks of hair of Marie-Antoinette are in circulation (n'est-ce pas Pimprenelle? :D ). T
he color of the hair that you shown us seems to be appropriate: fair and russet-red hair mixed.

Thank you for post it! :D

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I found a picture of her death mask on the net, made by Madame Tussauds.

I saw this (or what they said was her death mask) in Madame Tussaud's in London, maybe 10 years ago, they also had what was called "The Sleeping Beauty" a woman sleeping in a tiny bed, her heart beating. It was said to be molded from Du Barry??
She was so so tiny.....everybody looking at her remarked on how tiny she was.

We also saw a remarkable display of clothing from this period in the Altes Schloss in Stuttgart Germany about 30 years ago....the lingering impression was again was how tiny people were then.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fascinating, melly ! I once read a very serious study specifying that XVIIIth century people were smaller than we now are... What about Louis XVI, than, who really was a giant !?

A collector also told us that he never could put on clothes he found in an antiques shop. They were too tiny for him, especially with regards to the shoulders.

Hey ! No bodybuilding in XVIIIth century, and no UV lamps either ! :wink:

About Marie Antoinette's hair, it is so difficult... so many purpoted relics have been spread out after the revolution... And what was her exact colour ? She tried to pretend she was blond... but she actually was sandy blond, or even red-haired. Unfortunately, this hair colour was not appropriate in France, then...

The Austrian woman soon got caricaturized as red as blood...

But look at other Habsburg ladies, they seem sandy blond too, don't they ?

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is difficult to determine the exact color of her hair... the portraits not giving all reality, and the powders used for the hairstyles hiding the true color of the hair... because on none of her portraits we can see a Marie-Antoinette with really blond hair or red-haired... :?

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

On several portraits, she clearly appears red-haired, Chou. My avatar even shows an auburn lady. See the second painting by Kusharsky I posted on this topic, too. Antoinette's rose hair is due to the white powder not entirely covering her red hair.

Franklin visiting Versailles noticed women used "red powders". Actually, they explain this mistake this way : Franklin mistook Marie Antoinette's russet hair, visible under the white powder, for a specific red powder...

I think that the colour "cheveux de la reine" they used for clothes was ash blond to maintain her reputation that she was so. For long, red hair were associated with the devil and witches. Is this the reason why those French hated this so beautiful colour ? :shock:

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

On several portraits, she clearly appears red-haired, Chou. My avatar even shows an auburn lady. See the second painting by Kusharsky I posted on this topic, too. Antoinette's rose hair is due to the white powder not entirely covering her red hair.

Yes we indeed guess several nuances of russet-red in her hair, I think also that she was more russet-red than blond-hair. But this red color is not frank and is not clear... the white powder hide her true color. We can know that she was russet-red but up to which point?
I think that she was not russet-red as much than somebody than I know :wink:

It is true than it is a very beautiful color... I don't know why French did not like it... But they did not like blond-haire because for them it was the color of the prostitutes during the time of Louis XV... :?

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie Lamorlière precises that her hair was blond ("et pas rouges" - and not red, she adds). Taking her testimony into account, we can say that Marie Antoinette indeed was not very red. Sandy blond hair often gets more blond with age. See Isabelle Huppert, for instance... or a friend of mine, but you don't know her ! :lol: I recently saw Isabelle Huppert, and tried to approach, wanting to compare her hair colour with Antoinette's one, of course ! :lol: This nuance is close to blond, with slight russet reflects. Very pretty, indeed !

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah yes indeed Isabelle Huppert has hair between the blond and the russet-red one... I love this style!
The comparison is good, the hair of Marie-Antoinette were to be like of those of Isabelle Huppert. :D

But it remains a color difficult to describe, therefore difficult to paint :D

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I missed the english term but it is that indeed :wink:

Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Fascinating, melly ! I once read a very serious study specifying that XVIIIth century people were smaller than we now are... What about Louis XVI, than, who really was a giant !?

A collector also told us that he never could put on clothes he found in an antiques shop. They were too tiny for him, especially with regards to the shoulders.

The American Presidents Thom. Jefferson and Geo Washington were both suppose to be about 6 foot 2 inches, (187.96cm) and that was considered very unusual.

There are many "Colonial" houses to tour in the east USA and if furnished you can see small beds, and the stair treads (steps?) were shorter than today and difficult for modern (big) feet to use.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next