Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Marie-Antoinette and cats 
Post Marie-Antoinette and cats
[url][/url]
Hello !
I read somewhere Marie-Antoinette be posseded of 9 Turkish white cats. Is that true ?
Where they were living ? Thanks to answer me ! :cat:

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Marie-Antoinette and cats
I never knew this... Marie Antoinette always struck me as a dog person. Are you sure it was not Louis XV who owned these cats? I have read he had a vast array of Angora cats... You see, Louis XVI hated cats with a passion, and he used to shoot them (what kind of sick person would shoot a little cat? :? ), which is why I find it hard to believe Antoinette ever had any.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I concur. It's unlikely MA had any cats, considering there are no sources (that I've read) stating the presence of cats in her company. However, there are multiple sources mentioning her love for dogs. Louis XV had many cats, as mentioned, and Louis XVI hated them. But don't judge him too harshly for shooting at them. Versailles was over run with them and they were becoming a nusance.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:50 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I read that Marie Antoinette brought a pug with her from Austria and owned many during her lifetime. :book:

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:47 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Christophe wrote:
I concur. It's unlikely MA had any cats, considering there are no sources (that I've read) stating the presence of cats in her company. However, there are multiple sources mentioning her love for dogs. Louis XV had many cats, as mentioned, and Louis XVI hated them. But don't judge him too harshly for shooting at them. Versailles was over run with them and they were becoming a nusance.

Yes they were greatly over populated and it was a problem at Versailles.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:17 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

yeah, imagine all those cats in Versailles x9 lives, that is pretty overwhelming!!!!

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
You see, Louis XVI hated cats with a passion, and he used to shoot them (what kind of sick person would shoot a little cat? )

That’s terrible! :angry4: :angry4: :angry4:
(I knew there was some reason I never felt much sympathy for him :? )

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

However many kitties there were, I cannot imagine wanting to harm one... :cat: This seems so unlike Louis XVI, since he was so gentle and kind. I think I read somewhere that he disliked them because one scratched him as a child.

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
This seems so unlike Louis XVI, since he was so gentle and kind. I think I read somewhere that he disliked them because one scratched him as a child.

Whatever the reason was, it was very cruel and yes, it seems so unlike him or the vision of kind, gentle person I had in mind too. Maybe I am more a dog person but I have a cat and I cannot imagine anyone wanting to hurt her. :( All the violence towards the animals shows some deeper issues and I am very strict when it comes to that matter. Shooting cats seems more like some twisted hobby than a need.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I don't know. I suppose if cats are multiplying like mice perhaps they were so abundant the cats lost sentimental value. I don't know.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I remember reading that he shot the beloved kitty of a female courtier, and as you can imagine, she was very upset by it... :cry:

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:06 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh dear. Did he apologize?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:44 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

He bought her a new one... But that's just not the same. :(

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis XVI was a great fan of hunting. He was used to killing things with guns. I don't think this makes him a bad person, just immune to the sensitivities of pet lovers. To him they were just dumb animals. I also suspect that many of these cats that were over-running Versailles were not pets, but feral.

I remember reading a story in the newspaper a few years back, about a little old lady and her cats. Most of them were feral, or wild, they even lived in the attics and on her roof, there were so many. It started with a couple of strays that she kindly fed. Then there were kittens.... after twenty years or so, there were more cats than anybody knew what to do about. When she passed away, the city had to come in and clean it up, because they had become such a health hazard to the neighborhood. They smelled, they fought, they were diseased, their urine had caused the roof of the house to decay. It was a terrible situation.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don’t see that dogs are different, cats are at least pretty clean. Did Louis XVI shoot at dogs too? Personally, even I am a vegetarian, I can understand hunting animals that you can eat even if it is just for sport. I don’t say I approve it but understand it. People who are insensitive towards animals are often very cruel towards people too. The fact that Louis XVI had a habit of shooting at animals that were unable to hurt him, that were very weak compared to him, and didn’t wanted to shoot (some people call it the lack of courage) at his own people that threatened to hurt his family, is rather confusing. You can fight the small enemies but can’t deal with big ones? :?
This fact made me think more about his character.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next