Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Suggestion 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Suggestion
I think that it would be nice to put a new topic on the forum: there is Marie Antoinette' one , Luigi 16 but not of their sons'one. Or perhaps we could put one of her "entourage"!! (madame de lamballe, polignac fersen..)
byee

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:07 am
Royalty
Royalty

Two new topics in the Library - Entourage and Family!

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:04 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Suggestion
I have a few suggestions that may improve the site.

1. It would be nice if possible to solve the problem raised in this topic. I have a program to resize photos but if possible it would be easier to do it automatically . But I suppose it all depends on technical possibilities.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=943

2. There are a lot of double topics which have only one reply, a member who posts a link to the old existing one. These double topics could be erased so there would be more order as members who don't participate at all or for a very long time (I believe this is already done). Also, moving the topic which doesn't belong to a section where they were posted.

3. Changing layout. I am not sure whether this is a big technical problem but maybe members could help by sending some proposition of themes, for example a nice theme would be a pattern of Marie Antoinette's room or some view of Trianon, and it could change, of course; it all depends whether it is technically possible. I am sure some members like me are bored with the current look which is a bit dull compared to our interest in rich rococo. Here is one example how it is done. http://maria-antonia.justgoo.com/forum.htm

4. Also, something which would require a lot of organizing, some topics could be divided to make more order, for example the topic Marie Antoinette into - M.A's life as archduchess, dauphine, during the revolution, but maybe it would instead of making more order, make it less orderly (as we already have a topic of revolution etc.) so I would like to hear the opinion of other members.

5. Because, earlier, some members complained about bad English on the forum (for some members, like me, it is not a native language) maybe some spelling checker could be included while making the post. If possible that would be a great solution.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:37 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes I must agree with Marija Vera that this site needs some loving care. The fact that one cannot easily resize photos on the site as you can on the French site is inconvenient and a lot of topics are not cleared up by moderators, as inevitably some people post answers in the wrong place or duplicate topics.

As for the graphical presentation of the site, it is obvious that this has stayed the same for some time and there is no real input as far as prettying up the site or occasionally changing the aspect.

I would suggest that as Adrienne has set up this site (I don't pretend to have set anything up but I don't mind contributing here) she should talk to Chou d'Amour of the the French site who is very hands on and permanently involved on the Boudoir de Marie Antoinette. He no doubt has some good technical suggestions to offer as he is a computer expert by profession. He was on this site as a moderator and speaks and writes good English.

Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:34 am
Royalty
Royalty

Dear friends,

Some of the modifications you suggest we can undertake to do. Cleaning up topics and threads with just one or two posts is something that I am more than happy to discuss with our moderators. Since you both seem to have a keen interest in maintance of topics perhaps you would you perhaps consider joining the moderating group so that you could spend some time helping to bring order to the boards? I noticed that neither of you volunteered your time to this so far ...

Technical things like the ability to resize pictures and spell checkers are most likely available but will require me finding the appropriate modification for the board, installing it and testing it. I see no problem in finding these modifications if they are available and installing them here.

In terms of the design of the site, the state of the site is not due to any technical inability on my part. In the past, before you both joined, this board did indeed have it's own theme and design. The difficulty comes in finding the time to maintain such designs as the software that runs the board is updated and to make sure there are no conflicts with any non-standard modifications (such as an image resizer or spell checker). Keeping the software up to date means that we remain clearer from spam than we would otherwise and that security breaches like we experienced a month or so ago are very rare indeed. This is my top priority. I have from time to time attempted to find enough time to make some of the modifications that you suggest but it has not been possible before now and I have not once had any member of the site offer up their time or expertise to help with such things. Indeed those who have offered to help have offered to moderate and then promptly disappeared from the site! I am also loath to offer up administrator rights without careful scrutiny of the person involved - the content here to me is far more important that how the thing looks and is at risk whenever I give someone full administrative access.

I am well aware of the lovely work that Chou d'Amour does over at the Boudoir de Marie Antoinette, he was a long time member and contributor to this board before focussing his attentions on that forum. Ideally I would like this forum to coordinate with the main site which has only recently been overhauled itself and is not yet completed (the extensive picture gallery has not been tackled yet and there are other aspects of the site which also need a dust and polish).

So the short answer to your suggestions is that some of them can be acted upon quickly and others may take more time, but each suggestion has been noted and I will do my best to make things more workable and comfortable for you all.

Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Adrienne, could you please send me the PM message about the things that being a moderator enables me to do as I would only join if I see that I could really contribute. If I see that I can really be of some help I will seriously consider it as I am one of the regular members.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:27 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marija I have sent you a PM.

Also I have installed a modification to the board which automatically resizes pictures so that they are smaller and will fit on the page. You should now see in the top left hand corner of resized pictures a little magnifying glass - if you click on this you will see the full size image. This should remove the need for people to resize your images before uploading them here, you can upload at full size but they will appear smaller on the site. I hope this helps.

Regarding the spell checker I can find no easy solution to this for the board. There are many browser plugins you can install these days which will check your spelling for you. If you are using IE try this: http://www.iespell.com/. Firefox has a spell checker built in but you can use this extended one if you wish https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 07?src=api

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:03 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

The resizing of pictures in itself will be very helpful - Thanks!

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:04 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, that is great!

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I tried to post one picture today but I couldn't because the file was too big? :help:

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Marija there has always been a file size limit on attachments (pictures). This is because I pay for the server space that the site uses and the bigger the picture the more space it uses up and the more it costs. I've raised this file size to 1MB as of today, I don't think there should be any need to post pictures that are in a larger file. If your file is larger than 1MB there are many tools available for compressing and resizing pictures which should help you reduce the size and make it uploadable here.

Attachment:
portrait_22.jpg
portrait_22.jpg [ 107.2 KiB | Viewed 7946 times ]

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah ok, I thought it would help resizing photos, from the cameras, but they are much too big. Thank you anyway.

Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

On the French forum on the board page there is a statistic which is quite fun

Top 20 posters of the forum
Top 20 posters of the day

I know it seems a bit silly but it does motivate people! :) Why don't we install it here?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:29 pm
Royalty
Royalty

baron de batz wrote:
On the French forum on the board page there is a statistic which is quite fun

Top 20 posters of the forum
Top 20 posters of the day

I know it seems a bit silly but it does motivate people! :) Why don't we install it here?

Can do Baron ... I will look into it this evening :)

Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]