Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Thank you friends! Merci mes amis! 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Thank you friends! Merci mes amis!
Hmm, and yet many Presidents can wreak havoc during their term(s) and walk away with no responsibility and massive national debt (ie. George W. Bush). I do agree that modern government is the best way, but we also have lived under democracies all our lives. How do we really know if life was awful in the ancien regime? What if we happened to be born as bourgeois or in the aristocracy, or a royal courtier? I agree with cineffect that many poor people had the chance to excel because of royal patronage. And I doubt that much of the allure of Marie Antoinette and her world was purely because of her character. It was her majesty, her splendour and amazing living conditions that we are also fascinated with. I doubt we would of heard of her if she wasn't murdered or royal. :(

Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija, I too was thinking If I am a court Member then I want a Monarchy. As a common person, a democracy. If every one was a court member at Versailles, educated, dressed, well fed and given a share of the kings coffer there would have been no revolution.
As for george bush, what if he were the Absolute Monarch :shock: and we in the states could look forward to a lifetime of him, and his stupid daughters after. As it is now, in the fall... see ya, and we didn't even have to storm the white house and.......also how superficial to say we vote for shoes or a wife's dress. that is completely ridiculous, as is your talk of Devil shirts, perhaps in your neighborhood, not mine. also in America, we believe education is the great equalizer. great pains are taken to educate especially the poor and trodden down. The Black child, the Mexican child, with free college for all who wish to go. With education comes power and wealth in this country. we learned why we are teaching all of the immigrants who come here so meticulously in there own languages, because the worse thing you can have is a country full of ignorant people. Poor and with a grudge against the haves. (haves versus have nots.) is a Dangerous thing. Freedom from religious tyranny means, In America women will never be forced to wear a burka, and pray to mecca five times a day or else be set on fire by the Taliban. We do pray in schools, It is just not forced.But Jesus is always looking down through the roof at every school child here. We just don't talk about it outside the room! also with what it takes to be a president, you will never have one who does not wish to be. :angel11: We do fight for our constitution. Did you see those towers on 9-11? Boys and girls are laying down their lives every day. Goodnight my friend.. :angel6:Ps, every one does not vote, or does't count, there is the electoral college, they elect the presedent. I have many convictions. do not call me empty! America is a great country with the greatest form of government possible. I learned that at school my friend! everyone keeps moving here, people from all over the world. As did my grand parents fleeing hitler :shock:

Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
How do we really know if life was awful in the ancien regime? What if we happened to be born as bourgeois or in the aristocracy, or a royal courtier?

We know it was awful in France. I dare to say that it wasn’t very good in England also, but that didn’t crossed the line. Their rebellion remained on some intellectuals, poets, writers…
Since the revolution was strongly supported by the bourgeoisies (it was their revolution after all) there is no question what they felt. The problem was that they were gaining money, but they didn’t have any political power. They found the system suppressive, the system that straitened them too much.
I think that Enlightened Monarchy was something good for the period of the 18th century, and later, but the progress into the democracy was inevitable with the progress of the society. Unfortunately, in many countries, that change didn’t came very subtle but with very radical, bloody revolutions, that often just switched the rulers without really changing the system.

Elle wrote:
If every one was a court member at Versailles, educated, dressed, well fed and given a share of the kings coffer there would have been no revolution.

Very smart.

Elle wrote:
As for george bush, what if he were the Absolute Monarch and we in the states could look forward to a lifetime of him, and his stupid daughters after. As it is now, in the fall... see ya, and we didn't even have to storm the white house and.......

Case closed.
Whenever you give too much power to the one man (or he takes it), you are facing the serious issues. My country knows that well.

I wouldn’t go further since I don’t know much about the real America.

Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2