Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Does anyone here like pigs? 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Does anyone here like pigs?
I now have a handsome piglet and his name is Rousseau. :) . Marija asked me what sort of issues I have with him.

"He is so cute. You don’t have any problem with him, cleaning after him and so on? I’ve heard that pigs are very intelligent but can you keep them in house?"

I do keep him in my house.

Well there are problems with him.

1. I do have to clean up after him but that's usually when I don't take him out often enough. He will use his litter box if I clean it about 2 or 3 times a day. They also don't like having to use a litterbox if they can help it because they want their waste as far away from their sleeping area.

2. We have a lot of bird seed so I have to put him on a harness so I can take him outside to "go" with out eating the seed. He HATES me putting it on him. He squeals like there is no tomorrow. But my vet said that was normal. He said that most pigs will squeal because they think they're going to die until it's over and they know that they are not going to be eaten. So it will be a while before Rousseau gets used to his harness. Once he is walking he is perfectly fine.

3. He is extremely food oriented before we fed our corgi Will every meal because he was the dominate dog. Now we feed Rousseau because he'll head over to Will's bowl and eat his food.

4. He tends to nudge you. Nudging is a dominance thing so you have to tap his nose. It will take a while to get him to stop nudging.

5. He tries to climb in the cabinets. And in my pantry too. We have boxes so he tried to use the boxes as stairs. He also jumps up on the couch. We admonish my father because he sits on the couch holding Rousseau so we are trying to break both of them with that habit too!

6. Pigs are extremely intelligent so if they think there is any food they will open/ knock things over. Rousseau likes to push the trash can until he can knock it over. Fortunately he doesn't get the chance to eat anything.

Otherwise he is very compliant, especially if I have cheerios in hand. He follows me around like a puppy. He likes to snuggle. He is playful and energetic, and very social.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, I see there are some difficulties… but it is important that you are willing to deal with them all. I have a trouble with this word harness? :oops: I’ll check in the dictionary tomorrow. I checked some online dictionaries but I’m still not sure.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 pm
Royalty
Royalty

It's an arrangement of straps that restrains an animal to either attach it to a cart, carriage or plow in normal context. Or in this context I'm using, it is two straps around the chest and under the belly that attach to each other on the back like this picture.

Attachment:
thumbnail.png
thumbnail.png [ 44.43 KiB | Viewed 629 times ]

I am more than willing to deal with these difficulties. Fortunately he is still a piglet and he is easy to train. His intelligence makes him extremely easier to train. When we first got him within a day or two he already knew his name.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4