Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Reliable sources? 
Post Reliable sources?
Hey..

I'm new here and honestly I didn't plan to join, but I really don't know anywhere else to go for answers.
I'm writing about Marie Antoinette and especially about her childhood but I can't seem to fint reliable sources.

For example I can't seem to find out if her birthname is Marie Antonia Josepha Johanna, or Marie Antonia Jacobina Johanna.
On some sites thay claim that she was her mothers favorite child, and somplace else thay say that she wasn't.
Some people write that she studied well and was well eduacated and some say she hardly studied at all and could barely write at the age of 12.

Please, I need your help.
Should I trust a book från 1990(by Clara Tschudi) or should I trust whats being written here, or maybe whats being written on Wikipedia?

(Please excuse my language and my bad writing. This isn't my native langauge)

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Reliable sources?
Welcome to Marie Antoinette Online, Neko!
As for her name, it is Josepha. I'm pretty sure...
Wikipedia is not reliable, so... ignore what they say there. We are all quite accurate here, I guess this would be a great place to research. :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure she was not her mother's favorite, instead her mother liked Marie Christine, or "Mimi" as her mother called her.
She could write at the age of twelve, but not well and didn't like to study therefore she did not work hard at getting an education. She was very creative and bright however, and wasn't so stupid like myth has it. :|
Quote:
(Please excuse my language and my bad writing. This isn't my native langauge)

Do not worry. :D

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hello ! You can read Antonia Fraser's biography, it is quite reliable as fr as Antoinette's childhood is concerned. You can also find some information on this board, we already discussed the point.

Antoinette's names were Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna. There is a pic of her signature on her wedding day in Fraser's book.

Jacobine is applied to some revolutionaries, the most terrible ones, which Marie Antoinette called "factitious" (factieux), "madmen" (fols), or "furious" (enragés). Please don't call our poor queen "jacobina" ! It would be a horrible insult ! :lol:

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:26 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yes, Jacobina would be quite wrong! :shock:

And about reliable sources you can always ask something here and hopefully people will answer and give you their sources so you can find out for yourself. If someone should tell you "wrong" things here I can assure you someone else will correct them. So this might be the best place on the net for these kind of questions! :wink:

Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]