Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Introduction 
Post Introduction
Hello,

I became interested in Marie Antoinette because I was doing study in preparation for guiding tourists in Bratislava, Slovakia (Pressburg). Most people here in Bratislava know that Maria Theresia often stayed in the Pressburg Castle (only about a 45 min. drive from Vienna), and probably through this connection I began to wonder, indeed assumed, that Marie Antoinette had stayed at the castle, too.

When I start giving tours, I want to make sure that everything is accurate. I realised that there was no evidence that Marie Antoinette visited the castle as a child or a teenager.

I read Maria Theresia's court chamberlain's diary, and it does mention in detail numerous visits by Maria Theresia's and her sons and daughters, including Max and Ferdinand, and Josepha (in 1764). Max visited that year even though he was younger than Antoinette, and Ferdinand is only one year older. Josepha was 12 or 13. Unfortunately, when Marie Antoinette is 12-14 (1768-1769), the diary is missing, lost, or destroyed. In 1770 the diary resumes, but the few months that Marie Antoinette is still in Vienna is largely about her getting prepared for her journey to France.

If you have information regarding any visit to Pressburg by Marie Antoinette (before the age of 15) please let me know.

Prince Albert and Maria Christina lived in Pressburg Castle from 1768-1780 in a palace that Maria Theresia had attached to the castle specifically for them. Prince Albert was one of the people whom Maria Theresia approved for Marie Antoinette to write while she was in France. Even though I am aware that Maria Christina had rocky relations with her siblings (in part due to her marriage to Prince Albert, that was by Maria Christina's choice, and not dictated, I am hopeful that this poor relationship would not have become so harsh even when Marie Antoinette was 12-14, to prevent a visit. Maria Theresia is said to have loved having her children about her and the chamberlain's diary seems to bear this out.

Is there any book of Prince Albert's letters or a diary that he kept, or a diary by Maria Christina, that might have information about a visit by Marie Antoinette to Bratislava (Pressburg)?

Kerry

Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Introduction
Dear Kerry,
unluckily I don't know anything about visits to Pressburg by MA...but it very interesting. I hope you can findthe information you are looking for. And, in the meanwhile, welcome on this website :D

Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:02 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I have never come across anything in the literature I've read about Marie Antoinette about such a visit...but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen! Perhaps our resident Antoinette-philes Pimprenelle or Therese may know.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:13 am
Thank you Rosalie and Délicate fleur for your responses and your welcome. I really appreciate it. Maybe someone else on the board will have an answer to my query. It seems that there is such an international and pleasing group here that I am sure I will enjoy reading the posts and posting! Thank you again.

Kerry

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]