Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fact v Fiction 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Fact v Fiction
In my opinion Sophia Coppola did capture that lack of desire to be in court very well and accurately.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:27 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

No, she didn't say that. She was a very charitable person, warm and affectionate, and it was not in her nature to say something that cold. At the time, slander was being hurled at the queen all over Paris in the newspapers and pamphlets, and I suspect the cake remark was one of the false accusations thrown at the queen.

Speaking of guides at Versailles, I had a similar experience many years ago. While in the Hall of Mirrors, the guide pointed to a window and said when the queen's friend, the Princesse de Lamballe, was murdered, her head was placed on a pike and waved at that window right there. The queen was playing cards with other friends and they were all shocked and dismayed.

Not true. The incident happened while the royal family was incarcerated at the Temple Prison in Paris. And Marie Antoinette refused to go to the window.

Also, the intrepid duc d'Orleans evidently tricked the loyal Princesse into returning to Paris from her safe exile in England.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 am
Royalty
Royalty

"Speaking of guides at Versailles, I had a similar experience many years ago. While in the Hall of Mirrors, the guide pointed to a window and said when the queen's friend, the Princesse de Lamballe, was murdered, her head was placed on a pike and waved at that window right there. The queen was playing cards with other friends and they were all shocked and dismayed.

Also, the intrepid duc d'Orleans evidently tricked the loyal Princesse into returning to Paris from her safe exile in England."

All I have to say is..... WHAT? What sort of people are Versailles hiring? In all honesty I think a chimp would give a better tour. The mere fact it was said that Marie Antoinette was playing cards whilst her friend was murdered is absolutely repulsive.

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tour guides at any historical place of interest are encouraged to entertain their guests. Unfortunately, quite often the guides take this to mean "make it up as you go along," instead of "know your history."

Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou wrote:

Also, the intrepid duc d'Orleans evidently tricked the loyal Princesse into returning to Paris from her safe exile in England."

Interesting, that's the first time I had heard that Hellou. Where did your read that?

Of course the Princesse de Lamballe was in fact related to the Queen through marriage, and was present at the famous marriage table of the Dauphin and Dauphine in May 1770. As for her and the Duc d'Orléans they were both freemasons, but were they close?

Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:17 am
Royalty
Royalty

I actually didn't say that. It was DreamersRose who was quoting a guide.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I read it in Marie Therese: Child of Terror by Susan Nagle. Lamballe had escaped to England, and Antoinette had told her to stay there. Then the princess received a letter in a fragile, nervous handwriting purporting to be from Antoinette asking Lamballe to come back to Paris. The loyal princess immediately packed up and returned. Antoinette was very surprised to see Lamballe, and the two instantly realized that they had been tricked deliberately to put Lamballe in danger. They both said at the same time, "The Duc d'Orleans!" Antoinette and Lamballe had long suspected that the duc was supporting and fomenting the Revolution, and they attributed the letter to him.

I didn't look up Nagle's source in the footnotes for this, but her work is very scholarly and documented, so I am sure she had one.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:28 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It's my opinion that Antoinette was shocked at how cold the French court was. I think the French court crucified her before she even arrived and imagine being her age and dealing with the things and situaions thrown at her. It pains me to see people calling her simple or cold. If she had been simple she would not have lasted as long as she did in such an excruciatingly ceremonious lifestyle. Antoinette is my inspiration to always do the right thing and keep my dignity in situations when I could easily lose it :)

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:52 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Your comment from Susan Nagel's book is very interesting. The Duc d'Orléans then has even more blood on his hands if that was true! I must read this book soon. I am in the States next week and will buy it.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:27 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I just finished Child of Terror a couple weeks ago. So far it is my favorite book. Although it was very hard reading about the account of little Louis Charles. I cried in bed that night, after that chapter. I still feel like that little King never did have justice and the pain Marie Therese must have suffered wondering if he may still be alive, I can't imagine!

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2