Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 French Royalty 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: French Royalty
Surname then?

Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I would be very interested in names and trees of surviving royals and nobles in general. As far as I know, they are still there, just without aristocratic privilege or political power, unless of course they have pursued a career in the republican government. Perhaps there are a few still rich and influential enought to affect French politics from behind the scenes, but I cannot say this for sure as I have never pursued this line of study. Ask the Comte de Provence. Perhaps he can help.

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

My grandfather pursued the presidential postition...

Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Did Marie or Louis ever meet Catherine the Great of Russia?

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:09 pm
Royalty
Royalty

No. They did, however, meet the Grand Duke Paul (heir to Tsarina Catherine II) and the Grand Duchess during their visit to Versailles in 1782.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_I_of_Russia

Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is a myth (not factual) that the Revolution destroyed the aristocracy. It did cause a great many of them to flee France, and to lose their property. However, just as many remained in France during and after the Revolution without going to the guillotine. The Terror did not specifically target aristocrats just for being aristocrats. It targeted those close to the monarchy, and those loyal to it, or merely suspected of being loyal to it. But just having a title, like a comte or marquis, was not enough to be arrested and killed. There are many examples of aristocrats who lived through the Revolution without coming under suspicion. I imagine they had to either truly support the Revolution, or at least pretend to in order to survive. Afterwards, many of those who fled the country returned and managed to reclaim their lands and titles.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

To answer Ray, yes there are still a few hundred titled nobles around in France. The title doesn't mean much anymore, but is used as an honorific. And many who claim titles today can not actually trace their linage back before the Revolution, but were enobled during either the Empire or the Restoration. I do know that the current Duc de Rohan served in the French government in the 1980s-90s, but I don't know what's become of him since. Also, there are several Orleanses still living in Paris. I read in a magazine article (sorry, don't remember which) that the Duc d'Orleans still claims to be the true heir to the French throne (should France suddenly decide to have a king again).
On a side note: one should not confuse the aristocracy with royalty. One could be a noble and have no relation to the royal family. In 1789, there were some 50,000! titled noblemen in France, while the Royal Family only had 50 or so members (who could trace their lineage to a Bourbon monarch). By contrast, in Great Britian, there were only 500 titled nobles at the time of the French Revolution.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sorry, I forgot an excellent example: the Du Ponts in America. A wonderful story of French aristocracy surviving and flourishing after the Revolution.

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, the current Duc d'Orleans is Way far behind my grandfather, Henri Comte de Paris.
So, it'd be Mon grand-pere or My uncle the Dauphin, Jean.
Make sense?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:49 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Now I am curious, Comte de Provence. Who do you think holds the strongest claim to the French throne? The present Comte de Paris or the present Duc d'Anjou? Since both gentlemen contest the other's claim.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:19 am
Royalty
Royalty

http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=311

Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:55 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Forget my last question, as I see it has already been answered. And I must agree, I think the Duc d'Anjou holds the true claim, but for different reasons, perhaps....

Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Which Duc d'Anjou?
For there are two.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Louis-Alfonse of the Bourbons.