Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 For Members who visited Versailles 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: For Members who visited Versailles
Did she mention anything about hygiene? There was the part from a movie when Marie A. was taking a bath.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marija Vera wrote:
Did she mention anything about hygiene? There was the part from a movie when Marie A. was taking a bath.

I think she was comparing the bedrooms and bathrooms, from real life to film.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So Versailles had the bathroom? I thought that only bathtubs were removed to some room when they had to be used as chamber pots. :|

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh non!
They had bathrooms for the member of the royal family, otherwise they had removable ones.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

To Whom it May Concern,

I visited Versailles many years ago with my Mother and little sister. It was around Easter and, as we all know, Paris is intoxicating in the spring. I remember how much I loved the broad steps that lead down to the gardens and the hidden doorways, masked to match the walls so that they appear almost invisible. I remember there were fireplaces with some vases or something on the mantles in the rooms that are on either end of the Hall of Mirrors. I remember the palace seemed empty of furniture to me, quite like an empty shell. Paris is my favorite city in the whole world (although Charleston is close behind). My favorite place in Paris, yes even more than the suburb of Versailles, is the Tuilleries Gardens. I simply adore them with their gravel walks. I never go to Paris without walking through the Tuilleries. I have been to Paris many times, but only once to Versailles. I hope to return to Versailles the next time I am able to visit. Her bed was also quite elaborate (at least I think it was hers). Recently, here in Atlanta we received part of a three year revolving exhibit at the High Museum. There, I saw my favorite thing. It is a porcelain bust (that looks like alabaster) that was leant to us by the Louvre. It is absolutely gorgeous and captures both her glorious Hapsburg features and her youthful spirit. It captures her esssence so well and one is reminded looking upon it of her august mother, Maria Theresa, referring to her as 'the little one'. However, back to Versailles. I distinctly remember I was surprised at how small or, rather, understated, the entrance was. Walking past the equestrian staue of Louis XIV, it had a certain 'tightness' to it, which then gives way to the grandeur of the palace. It almost serves the purpose, one would think, of creating the element of surprise. The front gates also are so understated in their elegance that one is immediately reminded that Versailles is, first and foremost, a home. One could easily see oneself riding up to the gates as one could riding up to one of our plantations. Of course, there the similarity ends. Versailles is actually very large. That is how I remember it, but I was much younger and need to revisit. I hope I have helped.
Sincerely,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh yes, you must revisit, the gates of the Cour de Honneur have been replaced. The furniture thing, none of the furniture is in the right places, especially after the raids, which lets your mind wander a bit. :]

Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:59 am
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

I would have LOVED to be a baby lying in either of these cribs/cradles. How gorgeous they are - especially the first. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing! :baby:

Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You're welcome!

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

[quote="Comte de Provence"]Here!
Attachment:
roiderome.jpg

You have the wrong crib I think Comte.

I saw that crib in the Hapsburg Treasury in person. :) The first crib was used for Napoléon-François-Charles-Joseph Bonaparte. Obviously Napoleon's son by his second wife The Archess Duchess Marie Louise.

Here is more information on the first crib.

http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page2173.html

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

No I don't.
It is the same...

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Oops what I meant to say this that I saw the crib in person. Never mind what I said. My apologies. :oops:

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:03 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I visited Versaille in the fall of 2005 and again in 2007. The autumn was a perfect choice for seasons. All the color from the gardens was still fully visible. I was absolutely awestruck upon my first visit. The statue of Louis XIV was in the courtyard in front. What awaited inside was more than I had imagined. Everything is so opulent!! This is a truly special place - I think you would have to make may visits to comprehend it all. In 2007, the statue in front was gone and the whole area of the marble courtyard, including the clock, was covered for renovations. The whole effect of coming upon Versailles was unfortunately lost. But, the grounds of the Petite Trianon were finished being renovated (they were closed in 2005) AND open. This was the highlight of my 2007 visit! You immediately know and understand why Marie Antoinette loved this place. I am going again in 2009.
If you have a dream of going here, MAKE IT HAPPEN! It will enrich you as a human being.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:05 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I was there yesterday. It's so nice that Marie Antoinette's domain is open again, it was absolutely gorgeous with all the fall colors. It's probably my favorite part of the visit because the palace is always so unbelievably crowded.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 am
Royalty
Royalty

Oh Dreamoutloud - I am so glad you are there!!!! I plan on spending most of my time next year at the Petite Trianon and it's grounds. What a wonderful place in the world this is!

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:26 pm
If its not so late, I shall share my experiences next year? :)

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next