Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 decapitation 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: decapitation
Sadly Versailles this man is indeed alive, however this man is indeed a saint depicted in this image.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I'm terribly disturbed by this decapitation discussion. I'm going to research it on the internet. Did anyone ever answer back after his/her head was cut off? Poor Mary of Scots--the first blow with the axe didn't kill her so she had to go through TWO blows. :cry:

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

If only le Comte de Saint-Germain had been decapitated...

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Was the Compte de Saint-Germain not just a travelling charlatan mystic? Did he do other things that affected the revolution? I really don't know. Years ago, I read a book of his having to do with some sort of mystical initiation rites. I can't even remember what it was called, perhaps the Most Holy Trinosophia or something. What affect did he have that would have justified his decapitation? Again, I know very little about him.

Thanks,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:41 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I did some research on the Internet on the guillotine, and it's all there for those who want to look it up. One scientific man did an experiment on how long the head maintained consciousness after it was severed. He lifted the head up instantly after decaptitation and called the man's name. The man's eyes opened and looked straight into the investigator's eyes, then the eyes slowly closed. The investigator called his name sharply again, and again the man's eyes opened and looked straight at the investigator. The third time the name was called, the eyes opened only briefly, and were unfocused. The fourth time, there was no reaction. So the guess is that consciousness remained for about five to six seconds. The immediate loss of blood and lack of oxygen would cause loss of consciousness.

A side note to the guillotine history is that the guillotine was the official method of execution in France until 1983 (I believe that's the correct date), when the death penalty was abolished. The last time it was used was in 1977. Until the 1930s, the executions were conducted in public, but they began to attract such raucous crowds that after that, they were held inside the prisons in private.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:09 am
Royalty
Royalty

DreamersRose wrote:
A side note to the guillotine history is that the guillotine was the official method of execution in France until 1983 (I believe that's the correct date), when the death penalty was abolished. The last time it was used was in 1977. Until the 1930s, the executions were conducted in public, but they began to attract such raucous crowds that after that, they were held inside the prisons in private.

:shock: :shock:
How appalling!

Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I feel that the Guillotine is a very humane way of executing people, much more so than the modern methods of electrocution, gassing or lethal injection.

Of course, the death penalty itself is uncivilized, but if you have face execution...

Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:40 am
Royalty
Royalty

I am against the death penalty, hence my comment in general.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ray wrote:
Was the Compte de Saint-Germain not just a travelling charlatan mystic? Did he do other things that affected the revolution? I really don't know. Years ago, I read a book of his having to do with some sort of mystical initiation rites. I can't even remember what it was called, perhaps the Most Holy Trinosophia or something. What affect did he have that would have justified his decapitation? Again, I know very little about him.

Thanks,
Ray

Cults have made him a master and elder of sorts... He was highly influential in the court of Louis XV.
He's a bit of a whack job...

1983?!
wow...
That is insane.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's really scary to think about people having consciousness once there heads are severd...But yes, I think it makes sense.

I also think death penalty is uncivilized in itself. Anyway, I agree with Ray: I think I'd rather prefer to be guillotined than to die on an electric chair, or even by a letal injection, so having to wait several minutes before death comes.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:23 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I really recommend anyone who is curious to read Daniel Gerould's The Guillotine: Its Legend and Lore.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ugh--I feel I must share this childhood experience with ya'll--I saw a woman chop a chicken's head off in time to cook for lunch. The body flittered and kicked, maybe a squawk from the head but a medical doctor has since told me that the immediate insult to the brain and the neurological system of the chicken or a person knocks it immediately into a state of unconsciousness although a few neuro messages may still be moving through the system and finish.I hope this is helpful to someone--it helps me. :angel1:

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

winsan2 wrote:
Ugh--I feel I must share this childhood experience with ya'll--I saw a woman chop a chicken's head off in time to cook for lunch. The body flittered and kicked, maybe a squawk from the head but a medical doctor has since told me that the immediate insult to the brain and the neurological system of the chicken or a person knocks it immediately into a state of unconsciousness although a few neuro messages may still be moving through the system and finish.I hope this is helpful to someone--it helps me. :angel1:

It solves my dilemma.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:28 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ah ok... Yet all this methiod still distress me :cry:

Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:04 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Ray wrote:
I feel that the Guillotine is a very humane way of executing people, much more so than the modern methods of electrocution, gassing or lethal injection.

Ray

yes, you might be right....

but still I am against death penalty.......just God should judge the people.

reine :angel6:

Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next