Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:07 pm



Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 decapitation 
Author Message
Royalty
Royalty
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 1981
Post Re: decapitation
Sadly Versailles this man is indeed alive, however this man is indeed a saint depicted in this image.

_________________
"Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown."-William Shakespeare


Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 am
Profile
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 am
Posts: 77
Location: USA
Post Re: decapitation
I'm terribly disturbed by this decapitation discussion. I'm going to research it on the internet. Did anyone ever answer back after his/her head was cut off? Poor Mary of Scots--the first blow with the axe didn't kill her so she had to go through TWO blows. :cry:


Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:51 pm
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:00 pm
Posts: 2161
Location: France
Post Re: decapitation
If only le Comte de Saint-Germain had been decapitated...


Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 am
Posts: 175
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: decapitation
Was the Compte de Saint-Germain not just a travelling charlatan mystic? Did he do other things that affected the revolution? I really don't know. Years ago, I read a book of his having to do with some sort of mystical initiation rites. I can't even remember what it was called, perhaps the Most Holy Trinosophia or something. What affect did he have that would have justified his decapitation? Again, I know very little about him.

Thanks,
Ray

_________________
"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)


Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:41 am
Profile
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:29 am
Posts: 73
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Post Re: decapitation
I did some research on the Internet on the guillotine, and it's all there for those who want to look it up. One scientific man did an experiment on how long the head maintained consciousness after it was severed. He lifted the head up instantly after decaptitation and called the man's name. The man's eyes opened and looked straight into the investigator's eyes, then the eyes slowly closed. The investigator called his name sharply again, and again the man's eyes opened and looked straight at the investigator. The third time the name was called, the eyes opened only briefly, and were unfocused. The fourth time, there was no reaction. So the guess is that consciousness remained for about five to six seconds. The immediate loss of blood and lack of oxygen would cause loss of consciousness.

A side note to the guillotine history is that the guillotine was the official method of execution in France until 1983 (I believe that's the correct date), when the death penalty was abolished. The last time it was used was in 1977. Until the 1930s, the executions were conducted in public, but they began to attract such raucous crowds that after that, they were held inside the prisons in private.


Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:09 am
Profile
Royalty
Royalty
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:35 am
Posts: 1064
Location: Australia
Post Re: decapitation
DreamersRose wrote:
A side note to the guillotine history is that the guillotine was the official method of execution in France until 1983 (I believe that's the correct date), when the death penalty was abolished. The last time it was used was in 1977. Until the 1930s, the executions were conducted in public, but they began to attract such raucous crowds that after that, they were held inside the prisons in private.

:shock: :shock:
How appalling!

_________________
“Love is the emblem of eternity: it confounds all notion of time: effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.”
- Germaine de Staël


Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:38 am
Profile
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 am
Posts: 175
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Post Re: decapitation
I feel that the Guillotine is a very humane way of executing people, much more so than the modern methods of electrocution, gassing or lethal injection.

Of course, the death penalty itself is uncivilized, but if you have face execution...

Ray

_________________
"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)


Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:40 am
Profile
Royalty
Royalty
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:35 am
Posts: 1064
Location: Australia
Post Re: decapitation
I am against the death penalty, hence my comment in general.

_________________
“Love is the emblem of eternity: it confounds all notion of time: effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.”
- Germaine de Staël


Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:36 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:00 pm
Posts: 2161
Location: France
Post Re: decapitation
Ray wrote:
Was the Compte de Saint-Germain not just a travelling charlatan mystic? Did he do other things that affected the revolution? I really don't know. Years ago, I read a book of his having to do with some sort of mystical initiation rites. I can't even remember what it was called, perhaps the Most Holy Trinosophia or something. What affect did he have that would have justified his decapitation? Again, I know very little about him.

Thanks,
Ray

Cults have made him a master and elder of sorts... He was highly influential in the court of Louis XV.
He's a bit of a whack job...

1983?!
wow...
That is insane.


Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:36 pm
Posts: 903
Location: italy
Post Re: decapitation
It's really scary to think about people having consciousness once there heads are severd...But yes, I think it makes sense.

I also think death penalty is uncivilized in itself. Anyway, I agree with Ray: I think I'd rather prefer to be guillotined than to die on an electric chair, or even by a letal injection, so having to wait several minutes before death comes.

_________________
Vera incessu patuit dea


Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:23 pm
Profile
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 pm
Posts: 179
Post Re: decapitation
I really recommend anyone who is curious to read Daniel Gerould's The Guillotine: Its Legend and Lore.


Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm
Profile
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 am
Posts: 77
Location: USA
Post Re: decapitation
Ugh--I feel I must share this childhood experience with ya'll--I saw a woman chop a chicken's head off in time to cook for lunch. The body flittered and kicked, maybe a squawk from the head but a medical doctor has since told me that the immediate insult to the brain and the neurological system of the chicken or a person knocks it immediately into a state of unconsciousness although a few neuro messages may still be moving through the system and finish.I hope this is helpful to someone--it helps me. :angel1:


Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:47 am
Profile
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:50 pm
Posts: 1681
Post Re: decapitation
winsan2 wrote:
Ugh--I feel I must share this childhood experience with ya'll--I saw a woman chop a chicken's head off in time to cook for lunch. The body flittered and kicked, maybe a squawk from the head but a medical doctor has since told me that the immediate insult to the brain and the neurological system of the chicken or a person knocks it immediately into a state of unconsciousness although a few neuro messages may still be moving through the system and finish.I hope this is helpful to someone--it helps me. :angel1:

It solves my dilemma.

_________________
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. St. Francis of Assisi


Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:28 pm
Profile
Royalty
Royalty
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:45 pm
Posts: 944
Location: Hungary
Post Re: decapitation
Ah ok... Yet all this methiod still distress me :cry:

_________________
"Ceux qui n'ont pas vécu avant 1789, ne connaissent pas la douceur de vivre" Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord


Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:04 pm
Profile
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:45 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Germany
Post Re: decapitation
Ray wrote:
I feel that the Guillotine is a very humane way of executing people, much more so than the modern methods of electrocution, gassing or lethal injection.

Ray



yes, you might be right....

but still I am against death penalty.......just God should judge the people.

reine :angel6:


Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:50 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.