Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Iceland vs. Marie-Antoinette 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Iceland vs. Marie-Antoinette
A few days ago I was watching a program on Discovery channel about a type of volcanic activity which errupts directly from the ground. The 25 km long crater row called Lakagigar on Iceland was created during a relatively short, intensive, and catastrophic eruption between the 8th of June 1783 and February 1784. It created two vast lava fields with a total area of 565 km², and the total volume of tephra emitted was estimated to have been 12,3 km³. Additional vents of Grimsvotn were active from May 1783 to May 1785. The consequences were enormous. It was the second largest basaltic fissure eruption in historic time. The Northern Hemisphere temperature decreased 1 centigrade. That may not sound much but the impact on the harvest was severe. We all know that the poor people in France of that period had a harsh time. Now we know that it was also due to this natural disaster. No one was to blame especially not Marie-Antoinette. This could happen again. This also emphasize the necessity of enlightment!! I can´t stress this enough!
/Thorleif Nilsson

Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Iceland vs. Marie-Antoinette
Thorleif Nilsson wrote:
That may not sound much but the impact on the harvest was severe. We all know that the poor people in France of that period had a harsh time. Now we know that it was also due to this natural disaster. No one was to blame especially not Marie-Antoinette. This could happen again. This also emphasize the necessity of enlightment!! I can´t stress this enough!

That was among the many things that made the situation in France so bad.
It’s absurd to blame one person.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

How is this relevant? I do not understand.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It is relevant in order to understand one of the many factors that led to the French revolution. The people were starving and this is one of the reasons. Those who opposed the roayal family they almost blamed everything on Marie-Antoinette. Some people today are still hostile towards the royal family. If they knew this maybe they would think twice. I also want to point out that the world and historic events are complex by nature. Facts are facts! Of course it is much more fun to be a dreamer of the glory days before the revolution instead of boring facts. If I can add a new fact I will do so.
/Thorleif Nilsson

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ahh, I see, thank you for your contribution.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thorleif Nilsson wrote:
Facts are facts! Of course it is much more fun to be a dreamer of the glory days before the revolution instead of boring facts. If I can add a new fact I will do so.

We love “boring” facts! :biggrin:

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:03 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It's relevant as there were many issues that contributed to the French Revolution - the French people were dissatisfied (maybe not a strong enough word!) about the privileges enjoyed by the aristocracy and the upper classes, and things like crops failing/poor harvests etc. which resulted in the poor starving, were bound to be used against an already crumbling monarchy and its associates, and inevitably held against Marie Antoinette herself as she was a figure of hate for these people. Ahh...if only the scientific tools we have at our disposal nowadays to enlighten us about temperature change etc. were available in the 1700s... However, the people were gripped by hysteria and whipped into a frenzy by the Revolutionaries and other ridiculous slanders would've been levied against Marie Antoinette and Louis - dare I mention "Let them eat cake"!!!!! :angryfire:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Last edited by Princess2 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Even I agree with you, I don’t think that people would have hated M.A. and Louis XVI less if they had known for the other issues.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:31 pm
Royalty
Royalty

So that explains the terrible harvests! I was curious as to why the weather was so bitterly cold (more than usual. Apparently in the 1800' it was essentially a miniature ice age. Thank you Thorleif Nilsson. You're a treasure. :angel8:

Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:35 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Dear Hellou_Librorum,
That is the nicest thing a person has ever said to me. Merci Mademoiselle...
/Thorleif Nilsson

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:05 am
Royalty
Royalty

De Rein Monsieur. I find it absolutely fascinating. I am also curious as to how Marie Antoinette and quantum physics are related.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
De Rein Monsieur. I find it absolutely fascinating. I am also curious as to how Marie Antoinette and quantum physics are related.

I wish I believed in quantum physics.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]