Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why do I care about Marie-Antoinette? 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Why do I care about Marie-Antoinette?
I´m a new member. Why this interest in the French revolution and Marie-Antoinette? Well I was 24 years old 1989 and no one at that time could avoid the French celebration of the revolution. That explanation is not enough in my case. My interest must have come from before that. This morning (Friday) it struck me what we in Sweden call an aha-experience! 1975 I was 10 years old and I visited the National Museum in Stockholm, Sweden. The only thing that I remember from that visit is the magnificent painting of Marie-Antoinette and her children by the Swedish painter Adolf Ulrik Wertmüller. I remember I just stood there paralysed staring at the painting and Marie-Antoinette looked at me with her kind, beautiful face and eyes. The painting makes you want to kneel. Marie-Antoinette gave the painting to the Swedish king Gustav III, her kindred spirit when it came to loving opera and theatre. So if you ever come to Sweden and Stockholm go to the museum and be dazzled! You can see the painting in the galleries but in reality....
/Thorleif Nilsson

Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Why do I care about Marie-Antoinette?
You've just gone up a lot in my estimation! :wink:

I think that the painting was at the recent Paris exhibition. It is wonderful...

Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:47 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

baron de batz wrote:
You've just gone up a lot in my estimation! :wink:

I think that the painting was at the recent Paris exhibition. It is wonderful...

She´s probably one of the most smeared persons in history so I do what I can to pay my respect to Marie-Antoinette.
/Thorleif Nilsson

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:13 pm
Royalty
Royalty

:box: ...... :angel5:

Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:18 am
Royalty
Royalty

Yes. She really does have one of the worst reputations around. Even though it contradicts who she was. :(

Cruel lies is what they say. And for the belated Bastille Day. "VIVE LA REINE!" and "VIVE LA ROI!"

Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:29 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I think I love her because she is so glamorous
(or at least she is portrayed that way)

Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I pefectly understand what you mean, Thorleif!
My aha experience (I like this expression) came later, and was different, because, as I said, it originated from an anime (the rose of Versailles) and developed then thanks to a biography of MA's, which made me know her for what she actually was.

What I usually wonder is why she seems to have this effect on people who are interested in her: I mean, not just cold interest, but something like a passion, or a personal affection...
There are a lot of reasons, I think: first of all, like a friend of mine made me notice, she is a tragic character, because she found herself in a situation that she could not control and probably not even understand completely. She had good intentions, but she made mistakes, and this is what makes you feel close to her, I think.
Then, it's probably the charme she was notorious for: I think there's a kind of charme that ges beyond the limits of one's hman life, and we are stil charmed and attracted by her, in a way.
But I think what makes me more sympathetic to her is her warm and affectionate nature: it's like you feel you are a friend of hers, and you fell affectiobn toward her as if you were one of her friends...Or at least, it's so for me.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:38 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Marie Antoinette is such a tragic figure and her reputation has been trodden on over the past 200 years. But they do say history is written by the victors - Marie Antoinette is a perfect example of this. The Revolutionaries blackened her name because it suited their interests and, they thought, justified their (barbaric, bloodthirsty, cruel etc...!) actions. The prime example of history being written by the victors is King Richard III of England. Shakespeare has a lot to answer for :angry5: !!! He was writing for a Tudor audience and anyone with knowledge of English history in the Middle Ages will know how the Wars of the Roses turned out, and that Henry VII usurped the throne from Richard III, therefore it suited him and the rest of the Tudor dynasty thereafter to have Richard III portrayed as an evil, child-killing tyrant - which couldn't be further from the truth!!! Incidentally, Richard III and Marie Antoinette are 2 of my favourite historical characters, and it's only recently that people have moved away from Shakespeare's portayal of Richard III (500+ years after his death!!!) - hopefully it won't take quite so long for people to realise the truth about MA lol!!! :)

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:18 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

One has to be honest. If Marie-Antoinette haden´t had such charm and good looking not many people would care for her and show interest. This says more about the human nature than about Marie-Antoinette.
/Thorleif Nilsson

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I also think that the fact she has been treated so unjustly for centuries explains in part the interest a lot of people have for her...it's like you feel compelled to change people's opinion about her

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She lived in the time period I like the most and she portraits the glory of that time so well. On the other hand her destiny is unbelievably tragic and by making her reputation better, we all try to correct the horrible injustice done to her many years ago. I learn not to judge of people so easily, to be tolerant and wise. She is also very interesting person, her character is interesting for studying as the characters of other people who lived in that important period in history, during the revolution. Knowing her influence on fashion of that time, her intelligence and courage, you just can not be uninterested in her! And, as more as you learn about her, you understand better her motives, fears and the beauty of her nature.

Rosalie wrote:
she is a tragic character, because she found herself in a situation that she could not control and probably not even understand completely. She had good intentions, but she made mistakes, and this is what makes you feel close to her, I think.

Yes, I try to imagine myself in that situation and I am horrified.

Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You said it all very well, Marja Vera! :)

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you. :angel3:

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:59 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

When I was in middle school, a friend named Claudia was doing a book report on Marie Antoinette and she told me all about her. Having been exclusively interested in ancient Egypt and Greece up to that point, I had little interest in what I viewed as 'modern history'. Years later I became interested in the French Revolution for political reasons and a few years ago, I finally dived on in. Now I am attempting to write a children's book about Marie's childhood in Vienna as some of you might have guessed. Considering the fact that I am extremely undisciplined, (it seems that I share a few personality traits with Marie herself-haha) I need all of the help and prayers that I can get.

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:53 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Hi!
Well, I think I have already told my experience but 2 years ago I visited Saint Dennis and saw her grave and Louis XVI's. Louis XVIII is buried next to them and, due to my ignorance on the matter then, I wondered: 'If MA is said to be the Last Queen of France, why was there a Louis XVIII?'
So I realized that I had swallowed lots of stories about how horrible MA was (we all know about them) and the truth was that I knew absolutely nothing coherent or historic about her (except all types of rubbish against her, as I said).
So it was in front of her grave where and when I discovered her.

By the way, I cannot agree with the following idea: Someone not so beautiful with the same life as her, would not be so admired.
At least in my case, I really love Juana la Loca and Charles II of Spain, both with tragic fates an endings. If you take a look at a picture of CII you will see that it's not his beauty that I admire!!!!!

All the best!

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next