Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 A bit of help is needed... 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: A bit of help is needed...
Thank you all for responding. Rosalie, how wonderful that you have written a children's book. What is it about? Are you yet published? How exciting! I can't wait to hear about it.
Thanks also to annies sis for the book info. If I am not mistaken, that book is about Marie and her dog, which is cute as well as entertaining. Does anyone know if women of that time period wore slips or pantaloons or some other undergarment beneath their dresses? Even though what I am writing is pure fiction, I like to infuse it with real historical detail and, whenever possible, real events and characters (kind of like the Titanic movie I suppose). Thank you all so much for your thoughtful input and assistance in these matters.

Sincerely,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ray wrote:
Thank you all for responding. Rosalie, how wonderful that you have written a children's book. What is it about? Are you yet published? How exciting! I can't wait to hear about it.
Thanks also to annies sis for the book info. If I am not mistaken, that book is about Marie and her dog, which is cute as well as entertaining. Does anyone know if women of that time period wore slips or pantaloons or some other undergarment beneath their dresses? Even though what I am writing is pure fiction, I like to infuse it with real historical detail and, whenever possible, real events and characters (kind of like the Titanic movie I suppose). Thank you all so much for your thoughtful input and assistance in these matters.

Sincerely,
Ray

I believe they just wore a chemise...

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you Monsieur Le Comte,

As always I appreciate your knowledgable input. By chemise, do you mean a simple shirt like garment that functioned sort of like an 'underdress'?

Thanks again,
Ray

"...little did I dream that I should have lived to see such disasters fallen upon her...I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult."
Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ray wrote:

Hi Ray! Yes, I've written a children's book, but it's not completely finished yet: I'm correcting it and I think it will take me still some time, even if I hope it can be ended in a few months...After which, I'm going to send it to some editors, and hope they want to publish it :angel6:
The story is set in an imaginary little village in the Alps, in an undefined moment of the past. It's about a magical animal, with the power to make his killer's greatest dream come true...
Well, actually the story is a bit more complicated, and it is above all about respect for all creatures, acceptance of oneself, and the courage to follow your own's dreams.

I also wrote some tales and some poems. I'm beginning to publish my poems just now, and I'm very happy at the moment, because some days ago I won the third prize in a poetry competition. This is very important for me!

Have you written something else? I'm very interested, because at the moment I'm trying to work out what writing means to me...In the past I had some difficulties in speaking of it with people, but in the last years some good friends helped me very much to be more confident in my passion for literature.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would be thrilled to read some of your poems. Send me one if you can, even I am not so interested in poetry, some poems can really fascinate me! Congratulations for the third prize! :biggrin:

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, a type of an underdress.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you Comte. I always appreciate your input.

Rosalie, I find the premise of your story absolutely fascinating. A magical animal that can grant a wish to his killer is such an amazing idea that I am at a loss for words. I too would love to read some of your poems.

As for myself, I have been trying off and on to write a non-fiction book about human society for a long time now, but I lost most of my notes in Egypt. I have never been published. So, this 'young adult' fiction book is the only thing I am really doing, writing wise. Later, when I have developed it more and have something substantial to show, I will gladly share it with you.

I LOVE the subject of your story, though. I think it is SO cool and DEEP. I can't wait to hear more and congratulations on winning the poetry prize!!! :)

Take care both of you and thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,
Ray

Edmund Burke, (1790)

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:53 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Awh, I'd love to read your poems Rosalie!

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you all for your so nice reply! :angel6: :rainbow: :angel1:

Your interest makes me realy honoured! I'll send you one of my poems via private message as soon as I have the time to arrange an English translation!

Ray, I also think the idea for your fiction book is really cool (and how couldn't it be, being focused on Marie Antoinette? :wink: ) and when you are done with your work I'd be really glad and onoured to read something!

Best wishes to everyone

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:12 pm
Royalty
Royalty

An interesting comment attached to EM Vidal's recent post on the Memoirs of Lamballe:
Quote:
Interesting. Some "memoirs" are ghost-written, such as the "Memoirs of Weber." Joseph Weber was the foster brother of Marie-Antoinette and his "memoirs" were in reality written by Lally-Tollendal. However, the genuine historical information is quite extensive in that "memoir," making it one of the first biographies of Marie-Antoinette. So where fake "memoirs" are concerned, some are more fake than others. Some are pure fiction, novels written under the guise of being memoirs, but others have useful information and are based on genuine accounts. When recording history, people in those days were not always careful to have facts substantiated, and sometimes even genuine spectators of certain events contradict each other.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:31 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Dear Delicate Fleur,
What in the world would I do without you? You are such a storehouse of vital information and you always are so glad to share. Thank you so much for telling me that Joseph Weber's memoirs were not really his own work. Were they still his own personal memoirs though that were just dictated to someone else or are they pure fiction or a combination of both? Who is the author? Did the author actually know Joseph? I would love to know more about the real Joseph Weber, even though I have already developed his character. Thanks so much for all of your help. You make Marie Antoinette Online such a joy... :angel5:

Sincerely grateful,
Ray

Edmund Burke, (1790)

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:58 am
Royalty
Royalty

I'm afraid Joseph Weber became something of an obscure character after his death. His memoirs were co-written by the Marquis de Lally-Tollendal and I do not know if they were dictated or fictional. I get the feeling that Weber told him some of his stories and then Tollendal partly "ghost-wrote" the memoirs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophime-G%C3%A9rard,_marquis_de_Lally-Tollendal

Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:32 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
I'm afraid Joseph Weber became something of an obscure character after his death. His memoirs were co-written by the Marquis de Lally-Tollendal and I do not know if they were dictated or fictional. I get the feeling that Weber told him some of his stories and then Tollendal partly "ghost-wrote" the memoirs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophime-G%C3%A9rard,_marquis_de_Lally-Tollendal

Pseudonymity. haha, that's a biblical term, but it is what it sounds like.
If only they had paparazzi and news reporters back in the day, we would have so much more information!

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2