Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Salut! 
Post Salut!
Just wanted to say hello! I'm a big Marie Antoinette fan. "What the Queen Wore to the Revolution" is a wonderful book and I think it approaches history in an interesting way. Right now, I'm listening to another biography of her on cds every other weekend on my commute to see my sweetie.

I think Antoine was frivolous and a bit simple but I also believe she was truly kind and compassionate. While her child-like habits did not help the starving of France, her ability to put on a good face and reach out a hand to those who asked is truly an inspiration.

One day, I hope to maybe write a book on her favorite Madam Polignac as I see that little is extensively written on the women. I've seen depictions of her as the party girl to a cold and calculating woman and I would like to get to the heart of the person who held Antoine's attention for so long.

I also wish that Claire's/Icing would sell items like Rose Bertin who was the first mistress of the accessories world. Couldn't we all use a little more ribbon and fluff in our daily lives?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:56 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Salut!
Bienvenue polignacpetals!What an interesting username!

Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes Welcome. Blast you Delicate Fleur you stole what I was about to say! :lol:

I like your name, I just realized its an alliteration! :D

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:50 pm
Thank you all! :)

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome Polignacpetals! :D
I also wish someone wrote somthing about Mme de Polignac, because she is a very interesting characjter and you're right, she has been depicted in many different ways.
So I'm looking forward to your contribution!

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Welcome! :angel5:

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Heyy

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I felt need to comment on the comment about MA being frivolous while the French were starving. I thought it was very interesting that Marie Therese noted in her own memoirs how the French people were starving yet loads of rotten wheat and grains were being taken out of Paris. I believe in my heart the the Orleans branch orchestrated much of the revolution. MA was not simple. She encouraged breast feeding in a time when it was frowned upon, what a true activist before so many others! That is just one example of many :) As for Yolande, I wonder if she really did have a child and long affair with Louis XVI? I think, just my opinion that MA kept her close for so long, to do just that, keep an eye on her.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:39 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The "Starvation" factor has been grossly exaggerated over time. I'm not saying that there weren't people going hungry at the time of the Revolution, just that AFTER the Rev., the deepth of the problem was greatly inflated and made to seem much worse than it actually was. In reality, the poor in other European countries were much worse off.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Christophe wrote:

She encouraged breast feeding in a time when it was frowned upon, what a true activist before so many others!

Not sure that she got much of a chance to breast feed...maybe a little. Mme Poitrine was there for that and her mother admonishes her when she hears that she started breast feeding. It wasn't considered good for the mother's health or complexion, and certainly below her station.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:17 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Polignacpetals wrote:

One day, I hope to maybe write a book on her favorite Madam Polignac as I see that little is extensively written on the women

There is a new and excellent biography out on Mme de Polignac, the first for decades I believe, by Natalie de Colas Francs, but it is in French. I'll try and comment on it here, once I have read it. I will receive it on Thursday. Pim has already read it however.

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:20 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Regarding the breastfeeding issue, I was not referring to MA herself but to the time when she gave money to couples in France having children and gave more money to those mothers willing to breastfeed. I think it says a lot about her as a mother and about her intelligence to have been pro breastfeeding at that time. I was reading this at the time when I was nursing my son Axl and it made me admire her so much. She had great motherly instincts obviously.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I believe Jean-Jacque Rousseau inspired the trend for breast-feeding in 18th Century France, with his "return to nature" philosophy. MA was probably influenced by this as so many others were. I should note that all babies were breastfed at this time. Only among the wealthy, a servant was employed to feed the baby instead of the mother.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:20 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Aren't we all influenced by people more intelligent than ourselves? The point is, MA appeared to have understood the importance of breastfeeding your own children and I think that rocks. Now, all of you intelligent people here....I am ready to be influenced :P I can't say how cool it is to know that my love for Antoinette is not mine alone! Even if we don't agree on everything or anything it's really neat to read what all of you are saying.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]