Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Others thoughts about your MA obsession... 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Others thoughts about your MA obsession...
How do others around you think or react towards your obsession with Marie Antoinette? Do they think it's cool, crazy, absurd, cute......

I get mixed reactions from people, but I really don't care what they think. Especially people here in the states, they wonder why I'm obsessed with her so much when she didn't do anything big in history. I like it when it comes up, cus I like to come to her defense and an opportunity to give them an idea who the queen was. And it works all the time for Americans when I say, we wouldn't be here if we hadn't gained independence 232 years ago, and our freedom cost the royal french family their lives.... my hats off to the Queen and King for that sacrifice. As much as I am grateful for that, I lament their deaths by the hands of the revolutionaries. As for the majority of other people, they think it's really cute, and my husband doesn't mind at all. Anything MA related, he'll show to me or buy for me and also willing to build me a house similar to the trianon because he knows how much I love her.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Others thoughts about your MA obsession...
Sillage de la Reine wrote:
Anything MA related, he'll show to me or buy for me and also willing to build me a house similar to the trianon because he knows how much I love her.

That's so sweet... :love:

Anyway, I get various reactions from other folks. My family is tolerant and my mother encourages my unconditional love of Marie Antoinette, which is very nice. A friend of mine always cuts out things about that time period she finds in the newspapers, and, as she likes history to, likes to talk about the Queen with me. (Though, I admit, I sometimes drive people crazy with my constant "Did you know that Marie Antoinette...")

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:18 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Madame Vigée-Le Brun wrote:
Sillage de la Reine wrote:
Anything MA related, he'll show to me or buy for me and also willing to build me a house similar to the trianon because he knows how much I love her.

That's so sweet... :love:

Anyway, I get various reactions from other folks. My family is tolerant and my mother encourages my unconditional love of Marie Antoinette, which is very nice. A friend of mine always cuts out things about that time period she finds in the newspapers, and, as she likes history to, likes to talk about the Queen with me. (Though, I admit, I sometimes drive people crazy with my constant "Did you know that Marie Antoinette...")

Yes, same here. I do notice I always talk about her everyday, and just like you I start with.... "did you know that Marie Antoinette...". lol.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:01 am
About me, nobody really undersatnd WHY I'm obsessed with this character in particular. The craziest thing is that I don't really know exactly WHY Marie Antoinette hehe. I just love her and all her story.

My boyfriend likes ""play"" as if he was Fersen and I was Marie Antoinette. He always promisses a Petit Trianon to me too haha.
Then my friends just call me "Antonieta" and then make jokes about her, which I don't like very much... but well..
At home, my dad don't like her at all so he argues with me all the time in purpose, because he knows how much I love her.

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, as for me, reactions are quite varied. A lot of people, the first time I tell them about my interest in MA, think it's very strange, and ask me why just her. But then, when I explain them some aspects of her life, and what I like about her, they usually become more interested too...And yes, sometimes they tease me a bit beacuse of this "obsession"!

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:35 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It's interesting to see the reactions you all get and I can relate. I am an avid customer at my salon and the subject always gets onto MA when I am there. My hairdresser likes to tell eveyone my obsession with her and people think it's funny and we talk about her hair. My hair is also very blonde and for Halloween I am always MA so Amy has to puff my hair up.

For my birthday this year my sisters decorated my surprise party MA style and my presents were topped with a little girls light up tiara and I was Queen for the day. My sissy bought me an expensive book, the Versailles book by Jean-Marie Perouse de Montclos and I LOVE it!

So most of the time people think it's cute and I say that I am MA incarnate and I have her initials MA (Manda Arnold) :wink: But I admit I do annoy people with it to some degree. Don't we all?? And I love it!

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I try not to talk about it. My closest friends are not so interested in history and I don’t want to bother them with it because they don’t bother me with economy, law… We talk about it but very rarely. However, opinions are different. Some of my friends find it cute that I find inspiration in the 18th century that reflects my everyday life. Still some of them can’t understand why M.A. “What significant did she do?” and so on.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:10 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

My family respect that I like MA however, people are another story... whenever I say that I LOVE MA they say to me... 'Why? She was an stupid queen' (I use stupid but I could be using some stronger word...) The good thing is when I ask them... 'Why do you think she was stupid?' and they do not know what to answer because they know nothing about her... It's just the role that society gave to MA, they believe in it but they do not know how to defend it... It's crazy.
I remember once, that a mate at work told me... ' I thought you were more intelligent than that' when I told him about my passion for MA... :x

Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:44 am
Royalty
Royalty

agila13 wrote:
whenever I say that I LOVE MA they say to me... 'Why? She was an stupid queen' (I use stupid but I could be using some stronger word...)

My brother too...

Marija Vera wrote:
Some of my friends find it cute that I find inspiration in the 18th century that reflects my everyday life.

That's a great phrasing, Marija! It must be true. We're closer to the XVIIIth century than others and I think it can be seen on us. My mom, at first, hadn't realized MA was so important for me, then I explained her, why I honour this queen so much. Recently, she's bought me some books about XVIIIth century life before the revolution, and it made me really happy. Finally, she understood my passion :)

Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:02 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

well the most people around don't even know who Marie Antoinette is.....

unbelievable :shock:

and a few bring up the sentence "let them eat cake".....well they have no knowledge at all :roll:

reine :angel6:

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:58 am
Royalty
Royalty

I was shocked when I read someone's nickname on a social network site. It was "Marie Antoinette- not that one who was executed" :?

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:01 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Anouk wrote:
I was shocked when I read someone's nickname on a social network site. It was "Marie Antoinette- not that one who was executed" :?

oh noooooooo!! :shock:

reine :angel6:

Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:59 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, there're some not so intelligent people who not simply do not know who was she or who were other famous persons, f.e. musicians, historians... but do not wanna to know about them :help: :angryfire: :banghead:

Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anouk wrote:
but do not wanna to know about them

Yes! It is very important to have the desire to learn. I like to talk a lot but I also like to listen to people who have some knowledge. I know I don’t know a lot about many things but I like to learn! :angel10:

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:19 am
Royalty
Royalty

This is what tells you from others :)

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next