Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 So what do you all think... 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post So what do you all think...
of the term monarchy? Now, I know that some of you live in countries where you do not have a king and/or a queen, but do you support the idea of having a king and/or a queen?
Like here in Norway, we have our king Harald and our queen Sonja (plus the crown prince and princesse Haakon Magnus and Mette Marit), but they do not make any laws and rules on behaf of Norway. For that we have our prime minister and goverment. So they do not really serve any other purpose than to represent Norway. I feel things were a lot different In Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI`s days.
But, still I like the idea of having a king and queen, in adittion to all the little princes princesses running around.
What do you think?

Attachments:
File comment: I quite like Mette Marit my self, Norways own Cinderella.
Scale.jpg
Scale.jpg [ 165.01 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]
Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: So what do you all think...
That's an interesting post YvonneTheres, and I agree with you. I'm from the UK and I'm GLAD we've got our Royals!!! Apart from bringing money to the country through tourism etc. I think the Queen in particular is a fantastic representative for the UK, and the Royal Family as a whole participate with many charitable organisations. They are also our link to the Monarchs who ruled Scotland/England/Wales over the previous centuries and give us a good sense of our history. So I'm glad the Monarchy was restored after Cromwell, and I'm sure our history wouldn't be nearly as interesting if we'd stayed a Republic. However, my views are a wee bit strange in that being Scottish, I would love to see Scotland become an independent country again in my lifetime, so what would happen to the Royals if that happended!!! :queen:

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Haha, you make an iteresting point princess2. And I`m glad to know you agree with me.
When I think of the UK, the first thing I think of is the queen, Diana and the princes, so I don`t think the UK would be the same without. But I do not think it`s the same for Norway, I don`t think tourists travel to Norway to see our quite special royal family (don`t know if you have heard of the crown prince`s sister and her strange husband Ari Behn, she has an angel school, and belives in things that are a little out of this world)

By the way, have you heard the names of her daughters? Maud Angelica, Leah Isadora and Emma Tallulah (the norwegian people are not to happy with the last one, but I kind of like all of them)

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I'm sorry to say I've never heard of the Crown Prince's sister or husband but I actually think the names of their children are sooooooooo cute - especially Emma Tallulah!!! I can't see any of our lot breaking with tradition and going for a totally different name. But maybe that's why we like them so much - all the pomp, ceremonies and tradition. You can't really beat them for a bit of scandal either!!!

Is it the Crown Prince of Norway who married a commoner or someone who already had a child? I'm sure I remember reading about this in the newspapers, but maybe it was another country and I'm totally wrong :oops:

Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:33 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, princess2 she was a commoner and had a difficult life before meeting Crown Prince Haakon. Some say she dabbled in drugs and was part of some suspect "videos" (you know what I mean) but people have accepted her and her failings and love her. Perhaps not so much as someone like Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, but she is still accepted.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Wow, there's a lot here to comment on. Speaking from a country that does not have a monarch, I think modern day royals serve a very important purpose in terms of patriotism, continuity, national identity, etc. I often wish that the US had a royal family instead of idolizing mere celebrities who come and go and make very poor role models.

Princess2---I've heard of the movement in Scotland for independence, but do you really think such is possible? I mean, Scotland forms the northern part of the British Isle, and dividing the island into smaller nations could be a serious mistake. The trend in Europe seems to be towards unification, not further division.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:05 am
Royalty
Royalty

You make good points about Scotland, Christophe.

Re: a monarchy in USA. Well, obviously you know how that wouldn't work. And yet you idolize celebrities who don't do much. Now, I would argue that monarchs in the past and present worked a lot for their nation but I have also heard the other side of the argument. Why are monarchs so special, above others, when all they are is just a person. They are in a position of power, but they didn't "do" anything to deserve it. CEOs are powerful, and earn a lot of money but work hard to get to that point and maintain it. So why do we idolize monarchs?

So, whilst I love Marie Antoinette, the French monarchy, and heck - royals in general - it's more that I see that they are still people. I don't believe they are God's representative on earth. Just my opinion. :angel5:

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:02 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I would love to have royals :queen: but there are none in germany :roll:

reine :angel6:

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:12 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Christophe wrote:
Princess2---I've heard of the movement in Scotland for independence, but do you really think such is possible? I mean, Scotland forms the northern part of the British Isle, and dividing the island into smaller nations could be a serious mistake. The trend in Europe seems to be towards unification, not further division

Yes I do think it's possible. We have a devolved Parliament here, which the people of Scotland voted for and is really the first step on the road to independence in my opinion - okay there are some things which can't be decided on in this Parliament but important matters like health and education can be (we've always had our own, and it's been said better, education system to that of England/Wales - our legal systems are also different). And last year in the Scottish Parliamentary elections the SNP (Scottish National Party) were voted into power and our First Minister is now Alex Salmond - a HUGE blow for the Labour Party and indeed the Union, and this shouldn't be underestimated as they are the prime movers in independence for Scotland, as their party name suggests.

If you go back to the Union of 1707 the common Scottish people were against this - England were the "auld enemy" afterall!!! Some of our Scottish nobles/MPs were bribed by the English to vote in favour of this - what idiots!!! And apparently the particular Parliament that was held in Scotland to decide on the matter of the Union with England was poorly attended. Robert Burns said they were "bought and sold for English gold" - how right he was - so basically they sold us all down the river without a second thought.

Also, we have such a strong sense of our history, culture, identity and traditions in Scotland and the Scottish and English mentalities are different - my nationality, first and foremost, is Scottish. But can I also state that I'm not anti-English!!!

PS. I will shut up now and stop boring people with Scottish politics!!! :angel1:

Last edited by Princess2 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Délicate fleur wrote:
Yes, princess2 she was a commoner and had a difficult life before meeting Crown Prince Haakon. Some say she dabbled in drugs and was part of some suspect "videos" (you know what I mean) but people have accepted her and her failings and love her. Perhaps not so much as someone like Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, but she is still accepted.

Thanks for that Delicate Fleur. It's good to know that the Norwegian Royal Family have moved with the times and accepted someone from not only a much less privileged background, but someone who has had problems and overcome them.

Délicate fleur wrote:
So, whilst I love Marie Antoinette, the French monarchy, and heck - royals in general - it's more that I see that they are still people. I don't believe they are God's representative on earth. Just my opinion.

I don't think any of the modern day Royals believe they're god's representative on earth either. The Queen is the Head of the Church of England but that's as far as it goes I think. Afterall, I think they're all constitutional monarchs so they surely can't believe in the Divine Right of Kings.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Princess2 wrote:
I don't think any of the modern day Royals believe they're god's representative on earth either. The Queen is the Head of the Church of England but that's as far as it goes I think. Afterall, I think they're all constitutional monarchs so they surely can't believe in the Divine Right of Kings.

I was talking more about the justification in the past for monarchy. I know that most royals today wouldn't believe that! :lol:

Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:22 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Wow, it`s great to read all your replies. I find this topic very interesting because a lot of people in Norway wants to get rid of the king, and get a president like in the US instead. Personally I do not agree, I like the royal familiy with all it`s history and all the wierdness as well (the angel school I mean).

Princess2 wrote:
I'm sorry to say I've never heard of the Crown Prince's sister or husband but I actually think the names of their children are sooooooooo cute - especially Emma Tallulah!!! I can't see any of our lot breaking with tradition and going for a totally different name. But maybe that's why we like them so much - all the pomp, ceremonies and tradition. You can't really beat them for a bit of scandal either!!!

Yes, I like them as well Princess2, but most of the norwegians are more traditional and find the names too wierd.

Délicate fleur wrote:

You are absolutely right Dèlicate fleur, Mette Marit was just an ordenary girl from a really shady background who met the prince and became a princess. She accually DID do drugs, and came clean to the Norwegian people trough a speach where she cried and appologised. I personally admire her a lot, I think she was really brave marrying into the royal family with her past the way it was, and her little boy has been so welcomed into the royal family. The king has accually said that Mette Marit`s son is his grandson in any way possible exept trough blood.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:45 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

In Spain, we also have a princess that was a commoner and married the prince. She also had a dark past but as she is journalist she managed to hide it. However my question is: If princes, princesses, etc are just loke anyone else and may even marry someone like me.. Why do they still live in a big palace and earn more money than everyone else? I LOVE MA and anything that had to do with Spanish or French monarchies (specially dealing with the Habsbourg dinasty) but in the past, they worked (very) hard, took decisions and even commanded wars to earn money and land. What do they do now? Do they travel and have fashion dinners/lunches to 'promote' our countries? What a job!
Please, I just give my opinion but I obviously respect everyone else's opinions.. Do not understand this as an offence... It is only an opinion!!!!

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I do understand your point, but I think they have a hard job accually, because everyone knows who they are, so they can never just walk down the street, they are always judged and looked down on, and I would guess that that is not that easy to deal with. They are expected to look their best and represent their country in the best way ALWAYS, even on a really bad day when you can just stay home.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:14 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

YvonneTheres wrote:
I do understand your point, but I think they have a hard job accually, because everyone knows who they are, so they can never just walk down the street, they are always judged and looked down on, and I would guess that that is not that easy to deal with. They are expected to look their best and represent their country in the best way ALWAYS, even on a really bad day when you can just stay home.

Yes YvonneTheres, they might have a very privileged lifestyle etc but their status is what they were born to/with, not something they choose like any old celebrity whose main aim (in most cases) is to be famous. So I think they can't have an easy time of it when they're constantly in the public eye and suffer many intrusions into their private lives (especially in the UK).

agila13 wrote:
in the past, they worked (very) hard, took decisions and even commanded wars to earn money and land. What do they do now? Do they travel and have fashion dinners/lunches to 'promote' our countries? What a job!

I understand your point Agila13. I can't comment on other monarchies, but here in the UK we can't complain if that's all they do because their rights to make important decisions and to rule the country etc. were taken way from them when it became a constitutional monarchy - it's not something we can blame our current Royals for :queen:

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next