Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Role Play 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Role Play
This might sound stupid; I hope that it does not. Has anyone ever thought about role playing? We could all be different nobles from the court. We could even start a new forum for it (or in this case a new topic). Let me know if you think this is a good idea. I would love to be the Princesse de Lamballe!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:57 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Role Play
can you explain it a little bit more??? Please! :angel8:

reine :angel6:

Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:05 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Something like this had already been proposed...Look:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1034

Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:20 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

reine wrote:
can you explain it a little bit more??? Please! :angel8:

Yes, I can surely explain it reine. My idea was to have a Royal Court in the style of Versailles. Different people would play different roles i.e. The queen, King, Princesses of the Blood, Dukes, Dutchesses, ect and so forth. We would all act as if we were that particular person. Form friendships, attend parties, and live our lives as an 18th century noble. That is my idea.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Rosalie wrote:
Something like this had already been proposed...Look:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1034

Thank you so much Rosalie; I had no idea of that post. Did anything ever come of it? I would love to see the idea realized.

P.S. I love that you live in Italy. My dear Princesse Lamballe was from Italy!

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:12 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

it sounds very interessting :queen:

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:59 am
Royalty
Royalty

You mean to creat a topic where we can discuss as the Princesse de Lamballe, Mme de Polignac, the Queen, Comte de Provence, Mme Vigée-Lebrun, le Roi, le Dauphin, Mousseline, etc. :?:

Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:47 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Yes, we can each have our own persona as a character. We would need to assign roles of course. Let me know if anyone is interested in a particular role! :o)

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:15 am
Royalty
Royalty

I do not know, maybe... :? it's not a bad idea, but at first I am curious, what do you think about this, dear Marija, Rosalie, Comte, Hellou, Dreamoutloud, Délicate Fleur, Christophe, Elle, Reine, Ludy and others who visit this forum nowadays :?: ah yes, and especially Adrienne who controls our discussion. Oh and I suppose, it also depends on the opinion of our Pimprenelle, Baron, Therese and Monsieur Andre who made this forum so great and who we're missing...

Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:00 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I have no objection to setting up a roleplay area here on these boards, but in my experience these things need careful management and strong commitment from skilled writers to succeed. I have belonged to several roleplay and creative fiction websites in my time and they take work! There was a Marie Antoinette roleplay at Pan Historia (http://www.panhistoria.com) for a long time that never quite took off as there was a problem with commitment from writers and really getting at the heart of the people who were being portrayed in the storylines over there.

Anyway, if you think there is enough interest and commitment here, send me a private message and we can talk about the best way to proceed.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:05 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sounds very interesting although I am not brave enough to choose anyone. :( You need knowledge and skills to present that person accurately and I am afraid I am not there yet. Still, I would like to see how you do it! :angel3:

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am
Royalty
Royalty

Marija Vera wrote:
You need knowledge and skills to present that person accurately

As a writer do not want to bring out a historical figure in a novel and rather write a biography, I couldn't write as one of MA's friends or family members... I agree with Marija, hoping that someone else can carry out this idea :)

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:40 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I would want to see how things develop before I would join in. Something that role plays often have is the option of creating a character instead of playing a real person. I don't know if that's something people would want to do, but if people don't feel confident playing a real person because they don't know all the facts of their life, but they still wanted to be involved, they could do that?

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:46 pm
Royalty
Royalty

For those of you who are hesitant to take up a role because of worries about accurate portrayal, you may like to consider a 'what if' approach to the story telling, where you begin the roleplay with a premise that changes the actual history. For example, "What if the coach was not stopped at Varennes?". In other words you assume the history up until that point and then write a new, fictional history using the same characters using your what if to guide you. Yes you would still need to take into account the character traits of any real character you might like to portrait (although we are talking historical fiction here which can be very accurate or very inaccurate!) but you have free reign when it comes to what happens next so to speak. Greater use of imagination, less need for historical accuracy, more scope for characters to grow and change without being locked into historical accounts.

Roleplay for me is about fiction writing and the greater the scope for your fiction the better. It's difficult to do well (in my view) if you try and write a blow by blow historical account and keep your characters within what scholarly research already tells us about them. Witness the disappointment of many here at Coppola's Marie Antoinette which did not distance itself well enough from claims to be telling a 'true story'.

As I've said, I have some experience with roleplaying and collaborative fiction writing online. I think my best advice is to use your imagination, play with the history a little, and you will find things much easier. Then when you want a dose of realism you can still turn to your non-fiction books or the works of some very talented fiction writers, like EM Vidal.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anyone who is interested should take a look at my work-in-progress roleplay : http://wildmask.proboards54.com/index.cgi
It's just an experiment. It's all fictional, although characters can be based on real-life people.
I've roleplayed for about four years, but I've never come across one that is based on the French Court, so I decided to make one... :wink:

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:25 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next