Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 France braces for mass walk-out 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post France braces for mass walk-out
After reading this article, I can't help but think of the women who went storming to Antoinette for flour. And well, just about most of the storming, just a modern version. So many people are going to be effected by this in a bad way.
Quote:
France braces for mass walk-out
A mass one-day strike by public and private sector workers in France is set to severely disrupt transport, hospital and education services.
Passengers have been warned train services will be disrupted
Hundreds of thousands of workers are expected to take to the streets to demand more government action to protect their jobs and wages.

Three-quarters of French people and all the main trade unions back the strike, which was organised by eight unions.

Air France flights will be cancelled and train services will be disrupted.

The protestors are demonstrating against the worsening economic climate in France and at what they believe to be the government's poor handling of the crisis.

Hit hard

Last summer, President Nicolas Sarkozy boasted that these days when there is a strike in France, nobody notices, says the BBC's Emma-Jane Kirby in Paris.

There are other ways to make oneself heard than striking
Eric Woerth
French finance minister

But this time, our correspondent adds, the strike will hit hard.

Schools and post offices will be shut and courts, hospitals and power companies will also be affected.

Many people are angry French banks were given a multi-billion euro bail out while floundering industries and businesses were offered far less help.

With unemployment looking likely to hit 10% by next year, the French are now looking for assurances from their president that he will drop his programme of cost cutting reforms and instead turn his attention to relaunching the ailing economy, our correspondent says.

But French Finance Minister Eric Woerth condemned the strike organisers, accusing them of scare-mongering during a time of economic uncertainty.

"There are other ways to make oneself heard than striking," he said.

"Blocking a country, preventing transport from working, bothering people when they are still extraordinarily worried and fearful of the future, is adding fear on top of fear, worry on top of worry."

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7857435.stm

They say,"There are other ways to make oneself heard than striking," he said."
However, from my limited knowledge, people who are striking feel that they have tried every way to be heard but we not. Striking is normally a last resort. But I'm not sure that striking in the mass will help anyone or anything.
I really hope everything works out fast! With everything that is being shut down, or half maned, I worry. Especially when it comes down to the hospitals.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: France braces for mass walk-out
Oh no. it's already gotten worse.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7857435.stm

My heart goes out to all those being effected by this. I'm not going to comment on weather I think it's right or wrong, simply because I don't know.
I do know that NOTHING good comes from riots and mobs. I really hope this end soon with the best possible outcome before anyone dies due to the violence. I do care about humanity no matter what country and seeing this makes me a little sad. Especially for all the innocent victims.
My thoughts of light and love go out to them all. :(

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I didn’t know how terrible it is. I shall watch the news more often.
In most cases I am against the strikes even I live in the country were strikes are almost normal. Sometimes people can use that method to make a crucial change in the country, when all methods are out, but without unnecessary violence, it had happened, but it is very rare. I am always a bit nervous when it comes to it, some people seem to enjoy in the anarchy.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:54 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I agree with you above, there are always people who capitalize demonstrations, but fundamentally strike is a way to visualise democracy in truth.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Don't worry, it was just another strike. Here its' like cleaning your teeth....they say nothing works, but I love strike days. There are always some buses, and they are half empty..plenty of leg room.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

LOL, I guess there are silver linings to everything. ;)

Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

baron de batz wrote:
they say nothing works, but I love strike days. There are always some buses, and they are half empty..plenty of leg room.

What an interesting way of observing things. :biggrin:

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]