Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 It's very quiet around here....... 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: It's very quiet around here.......
Welcome again, Rosalie! I am happy that this log-in problem has solved. You must had a great time in Germany! You saw beautiful places! Europe is full with nice castles, I'm sorry that you couldn't visit the Castle of Potsdam...
Which painters' works are exhibited in Berlin?

I hope Marija will return as soon as she can, too!

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I'm happy as well! :angel1:
I've seen a lot of different and beautiful artworks. In the Schloss Charlottenburg there's a charming collection of painters, expecially from XVIII century France (so you can figure my excitement!). First of all, I made in mistake in my previous post, for which I apologize. The castle was built by Frederick I as a summer residence for his wife Sophie Charlotte, and after her death the building was renamed after her. Then Frederick II (or Frederick the Great) enlarged the palace around 1747. The castle then underwent further changes after his death.
The guide explained that, being often busy with war, Frederick the Great was fascinated by paintings that depicted a very different, idyllic and peaceful atmosphere. So he was very fond, for example, of Fetes Galantes, and in the castle there are some beatiful paintings of this kind. I was particularly impressed by works by Antoine Watteu, for example the Pilgrimage to Cythera:
http://images.google.it/imgres?imgurl=h ... 2%26um%3D1

and the Shop sign of Gersaint:

http://www.avenuedstereo.com/modern/wat ... rsaint.jpg

The Gaemaeldegalerie, on the other hand, is a very rich art gallery, with many beautiful paintings from different European countries from the Middle Ages to the 18th century. As for the XVIII century section, there were portraits by Joshua Reynolds and Thomas Gainsborough, as well as by French painters.
My favourite one was the Portrait of Lady Sunderlin by Sir Joshua Reynolds:

Attachments:
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG [ 49.41 KiB | Viewed 1749 times ]

Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:38 pm
Royalty
Royalty

You were very lucky to see "Gersaint's shop". I received a Watteau album and I am able to look at this painting for a long time, analyzing every detalis, such as the ladies' gown or the other paintings.... amazing! The little dog on the right appears in other works of him.

I haven't been to these castles, but I can imagine how imposing can be a castle built during Frederick the Great!

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm
Noble
Noble

Hey all,

I had a busy summer! I took a class, wrote a lot, and helped with my mom and sister (who are both sick)(though, I have a chronic illness, but, thankfully, I am a bit healthier than they are). Anywho, I am glad to be a back at college! I am taking some interesting classes this year! Unfortunately, none of them are related to Marie!

Sincerely,
Erica

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I had some problems to access the forum but even before I have noticed that there had been many people missing and that we were in lack of some challenging discussions so I understand Delicate fleur for opening this topic.

I am in Paris now where I enrolled in some courses to finally learn some French and I will stay here for a while. I have met Baron who helped me with many recommendations of places to see and events to attend here. He is a member of French forum as well and I could say that they live the 18th century here! Well, it is not very hard in Paris, with easy access to all sources concerning the 18th century. :queen:

Anyway it is good to be back! Thank you Adrienne for solving the technical issues. :rainbow:

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Rosalie wrote:
The Gaemaeldegalerie, on the other hand, is a very rich art gallery, with many beautiful paintings from different European countries from the Middle Ages to the 18th century. As for the XVIII century section, there were portraits by Joshua Reynolds and Thomas Gainsborough, as well as by French painters.
My favourite one was the Portrait of Lady Sunderlin by Sir Joshua Reynolds:

Wonderful!
Here i can enjoy many artworks by Lebrun, Greuze, Boucher etc. I think you all know what pleasure that is for me. 8)

Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I thought about you infact :rainbow:

The painting of "Gersaint's shop", as Anouk remarked, is impressive: it takes almost one full wall of a room!
And of course the castle is very beautiful, and surrounded by a gourgeous park (where I haven't been able to go, however: time was too short!). I was particularly impressed by the room they used for parties: it was very airy and light-coloured, and all its decorations recalled the garden (that you couls actually see through the big windows), so that people had the impression of being in the open air...

Marja, it must be wonderful to spend some time in Paris! I understand what you said about living in the 18th century: I had more or less the same impression when I went there a couple of years ago: it was like everything spoke about something I loved. Enjoy your time, and tell us about the beautiful places you will see!

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes it was fun meeting up with Marija and giving her some tips on 18th century Paris! We're very lucky on this site to be able to get to know like minded people sharing a quite unusual passion.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree! If ever I was to pass from Paris again I'll let you know :D

Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Please do. It would be a pleasure to meet you. Any friend of MA is a friend of mine! :)

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

:) :)

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:10 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Oh I have totally forgot I promise I will be better now I have been soo busy with school :]

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:09 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes you are right, things have slackened off in here a bit lately and I dont
think its just the summer vacations.
Dont forget there is a way for the owner of this forum to send out
an e mail to everyone.... why not do it ... once a month say ?
the e mail will give a direct link back to the forum.

It could be just a few words and maybe a list of 6 or so interesting threads that have been
added in the last month... or some Royal news or other.
That would at least remind people that the forum still exists and might tempt them
back for a while.

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:15 pm
Royalty
Royalty

silverstar wrote:
Yes you are right, things have slackened off in here a bit lately and I dont
think its just the summer vacations.
Dont forget there is a way for the owner of this forum to send out
an e mail to everyone.... why not do it ... once a month say ?
the e mail will give a direct link back to the forum.

It could be just a few words and maybe a list of 6 or so interesting threads that have been
added in the last month... or some Royal news or other.
That would at least remind people that the forum still exists and might tempt them
back for a while.

It's an interesting idea silverstar, but verging on the spammy side IMO. I'd rather not send out email unless it's absolutely necessary, and certainly not at the moment while the rest of the site is still in a little disarray. If I can work out a way of setting things up so that people might opt in for an email reminder every now and then I would do so, but I will never send mail out to everyone without their prior consent.

I am thinking of other ways to bring people here, including a presence on twitter and facebook (if I must!) once the site comes back. I'll keep you all informed.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

During the existence of this forum, there had already been rarely-visited periods. It is a quiet time again, though I it wouldn't be everlasting! A busy time will come soon, as usual.

Perhaps the recent problem can be new members are a bit overshadowed by old members (sorry about the phrasing, I am looking for the good locution). On the one hand, they may feel a bit oppressed by others. On the other hand, there are some subject already discussed and new members doesn't really look for the subject in previous topics, in general. And this can be boring for a member who has been visiting here for a while. There are so many pointless topics!
The other cause is old members' absence, obviously. I'm sure they will be back. However, there are always members who front!

Ad on facebook is a good idea, Adrienne. We really need "freshening" and we also need old friends back!
Reminder would be useless I think. If somebody is busy, he couldn't visit the forum... If somebody forget this forum- it just cannot be! =)

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next