Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 It's very quiet around here....... 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: It's very quiet around here.......
I think you r'e wrong Adrianne, the members would welcome
an e mail say once a month from this forum.... a list of 5 or 6 interesting threads
with direct links to them.... would be a welcome e mail not spam atall.

The software in the forum gives you the ability to do this...
why not use it ?

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:04 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Silverstar, I have already said why I will not do it, you think I'm wrong, you're entitled to your opinion.

There are almost 500 members of the forum at the moment (I periodically go through the list and delete the very old registrations with no posts), the vast majority of those people sign up, have a look around and then decide to go elsewhere in their internet travels. Yes, maybe some of them would return if I sent out an email, but by my guess at least 400 of those emails would be deleted instantly, perhaps half of those with a groan about wishing they hadn't used that email address to sign up for a forum when they didn't realise at the time it would result on email arriving in their inbox more than once.

Furthermore, I have promised time and time again to those who are warey of internet scams, viruses and spam that you will never receive unsolicited bulk mail from the marie-antoinette.org address, and that if you do it should be deleted immediately. Sending out email to everyone who has joined the forum when they have not specifically requested it flies in the face of this advice.

Finally, and least significantly, producing such an email in a way that does justice to the forum is time consuming, too time consuming I believe for the effect it would have.

If you'd like to take this up with me privately please do, but as far as I'm concerned there will not be a regular email sent out from this forum any time in the near future.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I take it thats a no then ?

yes you re right, these things are time consuming
I think you do enough keeping this forum in order.

Its the people who post that make up a forum... people who are
perhaps a little opinionated and outspoken.

They make the post and others react to it.
I have an idea to get a post together about Beaumarchais
you know, the guy who wrote the play Figaro
Ill have to do a search and see if theres already a thread
for this interesting guy .

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with Anouk, I also think it's normal that there are quiet periods and then very busy periods. When I first signed up, almost two years ago now, there was a very lively discussion, but then it got even busier after some months, when new very active members signed up. Then there was a quiet period, and then again a busy one (if I remember well). Probably now many people have been away for the holidays and they're busy about organizing their new year at work, so they don't happen to be around very often...But I'm sure it will change. It's the same thing that happened to me last year: after a year abroad, I was at home again, and my life-rythms changed completely; so in the first months, I rarely had the time or chance to come to the forum, and when I did I found a lot of posts I had not read! But then, as I settled down again, I came back, above all because I was missing our talks very much!
It's true also that many older members are not often on the forum either, and this is a real pity, because they would have much to say! But I hope (as I think everyone does here) that they will be around again. In any case, I think there's not very much to do, apart from waiting, and of course writing new posts :)

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:37 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

There are other things you could be doing Rosalie, like housekeeping... hoovering etc
the web is a great time waster... e mail is addictive, (as I know to my own cost.)

By the by, most forums I seem to get into quite easily from an e mail link, but this one...
I always have to sign in.... is that really necessary ?
Is there some software that could be tweaked to allow members to come back in
without the signing in ceremony ?

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:40 pm
Royalty
Royalty

silverstar wrote:
There are other things you could be doing Rosalie, like housekeeping... hoovering etc
the web is a great time waster... e mail is addictive, (as I know to my own cost.)

By the by, most forums I seem to get into quite easily from an e mail link, but this one...
I always have to sign in.... is that really necessary ?
Is there some software that could be tweaked to allow members to come back in
without the signing in ceremony ?

You need not sign in each time silverstar ... next time you login check the box that says "Log me on automatically each visit" and you shouldn't need to log in again unless you clear your browser cookies ...

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:45 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Sorry I haven't been posting lately. I have been reading and very busy. After all it is an extremely important year for me academically! I'm alive don't worry. :)

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:37 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I havent been on this site for about a year now. I've missed it so much! Has anyone ever gone through on any local meetups? I'd really love to host one.

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome back, my dears! It's always a pleasure to read you :D

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

YES I think the forum has quietened down in the last few months.
I posted a new thread about Beaumarchais.. the writer of Figero etc
2 weeks ago and in all that time.... only 13 views !
thats not much is it !

Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3