Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Catherine Hyde, Marquise de Gouvion Broglie Scolari 
Noble
Noble

Post Catherine Hyde, Marquise de Gouvion Broglie Scolari
Hyde "edited" the memoires of the Princesse de Lamballe, which were published at least twice in the 19th C (or once, and then, again, in 1901). I would like to know if there is any biographical material on Hyde (same name as Earl of Clarendon and, hence, Queens Mary and Anne); were they related? What is the Gouvion Broglie line? Was Hyde related to Mme de Stael (daughter?)? I would be most grateful to hear from anyone having information on this subject. Thanks

Last edited by jack rogers on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Welcome, Jack! My information about Catherine Hyde is that Madame de Lamballe "found" her at a convent school in Paris and that she was an orphan. She may have been someone's love child, as so many "orphans" turned out to be. Madame de Lamballe adopted her and guided her in becoming a Catholic. Catherine was a linguist and so assisted Madame de Lamballe in her correspondence, thereby having access to her papers. She was very witty and could mimic lower class accents and often went about the streets in disguise to gain information for the royal family, so she claims. I have been wondering whether the Broglie she married had any connection to the Duc de Broglie who was Madame de Stael's son-in-law but have not discovered that yet. I will dig around some.

Let me know if you find anything out! :wink:

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah...this good Lamballe! :wink:

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:12 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Lamballe was good. Catherine loved her like a daughter and was shattered by her brutal death. Catherine was also close to Madame Elisabeth. She loved the queen and described her as having "heavenly blue eyes."

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Heavenly blue eyes... it is so beautiful !

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:34 pm
Noble
Noble

Therese: Thank you for your rapid and helpful reply> I wonder where you got the information about her you have included in your notes. I hav e the Lamballe "memoires" (1901 edition) and in her interpolations she
gives some information about the way she and Lamballe and the queen met (a singing master was the axis mundi--he raved about her voice) but I have not yet obtained any biographical information about her other than what is in the Memoires. She wrote at least two more books (most think the wrote Lambale's memoires though she says she only edited them: the voice is exactly the same), but it is hard to find biographical reference to her in third parties. The deStael/Broglie connection is probably correct, though what it is I have yet to find out. She certainly was daredevil: 4 languages, traveled all over Europe incognito, and married a Marquis. Not bad for a little convent girl (with, of course, a voice)!

I hope I/we will learn more.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:05 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I got it all from the same Memoirs, Jack. Otherwise, there is not much. There is a more recent edition available from Amazon.com.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Catherine is a minor character in the novel Trianon by Elena Maria Vidal. The quote in the front is from her, as a Marquise.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A link with more information about Catherine Hyde. I had heard she was an orphan but here is something about her alleged parentage. Very mysterious; I wonder who she really was....

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0013-8266(189507)10%3A39%3C588%3ASMOTRF%3E2.0.CO%3B2-9

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:47 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't think the above link works, but I found out more. Catherine Hyde claimed to be descended from one of the Clarendon Hydes by way of a "private marriage" with a "Polish lady" which probably means that she was a indeed illegitimate. There is no record of the Hyde gentleman she names as her father being an ambassador to Poland, as she claimed. She claimed that her Polish mother left her in England and went back to Poland. Catherine ended up in a French convent school. Her edited "memoirs" of Madame de Lamballe were published in the 1820's, 30 years after the events, and the original manuscript "disappeared," just when authentic letters of the Princess de Lamballe would have cost a fortune. Catherine died in 1846 with no word but her own to substantiate that her Memoirs are indeed based upon the true recollections of Madame de Lamballe. Wikipedia claims that the "Memoirs" are apocryphal but with Wikipedia anyone can put anything. Still, I would like to know more about the origins of this person and this book, which is widely read as a source of information about the queen. Maybe they are apocryphal, as Pimprenelle has said before....

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:20 am
Noble
Noble

Post Catherine Hyde
Thanks for the information, Therese. Intriguing that she may have been a left-hand Clarendon/Hyde. First earl, whose daughter married James duke of York (later infamous James II) fled abroad at the time of James's accession (1680?) and so could not be pere. I wonder what other Clarendons went/worked abroad...All the rest of your posting seems very reasonable to me, and I share your skepticism as to how much of the Lamballe stuff comes from Lamballe. Hyde story is intriguing, though, isn't it? Hope there is more Hyde & seek.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I will google her alleged husband sometime and see what I can find. In some ways, Hyde's book is more like a novel of Lamballe, probably with some genuine anecdotes woven into the text, but not totally reliable.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 pm
Noble
Noble

Therese: Thanks for the response re C Hyde. I tried your link (JStor) and got nothing. Also I will have to inquire from an associated library as JStor doesn't recognize non-accredited scholars like myself. I hope for more Hyde & seek.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Therese: I tried your link (JStor) and got nothing. Also I will have to inquire from an associated library as JStor doesn't recognize non-accredited scholars like myself. I hope for more Hyde & seek.

JSTOR is a database you'll find primarily in academic libraries.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next