Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Vive la Reine de France 
Post Vive la Reine de France
Greetings! My name is Brent Cormier and I am writing from Houston, Texas. I would like to say that I became interested in Her Majesty, Marie Antoinette about 15 years ago after seeing the movie[i] Marie Antoinette starring Norma Shearer, Tyrone Power, and John Barrymore. I fell in love with Her Majesty's memory upon seeing this. However, I did find the movie a bit melodramatic and a little off-colored after doing extensive research on Marie Antoinette and l'ancienne regime.
In addition to all my reading about Her Majesty, I was very fortunate to have been to Paris, Versailles and la Basilique St. Denis and many other places that coincide with the history of Marie Antoinette. Unfortunately, I have not been to Vienna to see her birthplace.
I was very saddened to see where she was imprisoned at la Conciegerie. What a horrible way to spend the last days of such a regal maonarch. I think that the crowning jewel of one of my visits to Paris was when on Oct. 16, 1992, I got to visit St. Denis where the Society of the Memory of Marie Antoinette was having a memorial mass for Her Majesty. Also, I was allowed to enter the area of the crypte royale between the ballustrades so that I could lay flowers upon the tomb stone of Her Majesty.
I am very excited to have discovered this site. I hope that I will learn much from other admirers as well as impart some things that I have learned.

Peace to All -Brent

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi, Chou d'Amour ! It's a pleasure to meet you ! I've been very touched by your story. I've been to Paris many times, and to Versailles too. I'm a Belgian, it's not so far or me ! But I hadn't courage enough to visit the conciergerie... On the contrary, I wandered in the little park they built on the Madeleine cemetery. It's so peaceful I'm happy she had rest there...

I share your feeling about Vienna. I'd love to get there, so so much !

Très amicalement,
Pimprenelle

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I just love Provence ! I used to spent wonderful holidays with my parents in Provence. This rose soil... these rose rocks... it's so beautiful !

It's very special to be a Belgian, because, as frenchspeaking people, we are raised in french traditions, while being different. It's obvious concerning Marie-Antoinette : during her life, and even during the revolution, we, in Brussels, were Austrian people !

We definitely never guillotined her, and, with regards to this awful event, don't feel the same way... I can see it when I surf on french boards. Amazing !

Have you read our comments about Coppola on this board ?

Have a nice day, dear Chou d'Amour !

Amicalement,
Pimprenelle

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:38 am
Post hey!
Hello, Pimprenelle! Just acknowledging your message that you sent last. It is about 1:30 am here and I just got back from a birthday party that my best friend took me to. It was rather boring.
However, I told my friend about my discovery of this site. He did not sound too impressed. He is more in to producing his music - techno. I did tell him that he has to at least go and see Marie Antoinette with me when it releases this fall.

Well, I think that I need to go to bed. Je suis fatigue! I hope to here from you soon.

Aurevoir et bon nuit, mon amis!

Chou d'amour (Brent)

p.s. Please tell me that you know where I got my site name, Chou d'amour from.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course, dear Brent ! Chou d'Amour was the tender name Marie-Antoinette and her friend, the governess Madame de Polignac, gave to little dauphin Louis-Charles !

You can find this adorable nickname (for a so lovely boy !) in a letter to Gabrielle de Polignac, date december 29th, 1789. "Le chou d'amour se porte bien..." (the chou d'amour (underligned to catch Gabrielle's attention) is OK).

I have a copy of this letter, in a book, written from her own hand ! Woaw ! I love it !

Hope to read you soon ! Much fun for you next party !!! :lol:

Pimprenelle is a wild flower :wink:

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:37 am

I guess that I should have known that you would know what chou d'amour was. I am so happy to have made your acquaintance. Enchante des faire votre conaissance! I hope that I spelled that correctly. I guess that you can let me know. By the way, thank you for letting me know what Pimprenelle means. I did not know that!

Anyhow, I finally got to view the trailer for Marie Antoinette today! To be honest with you, I liked the music used for the preview. I grew up with New Order if that who it is. It sure sounds like it.

I really feel that (before actually seeing the movie in its entirety) that MA would have appreciated Coppola using modern music and actors to portray her life. I mean, she was a very modern gal. She brought the Court of Versailles a youngness and new vitallity that it had never known. I think that is why she had a lot of problems with Mesdames - Louis V's sisters. They were kind of "not with it."

I think that I am going to like this movie. I am glad that they chose not to use music composed by Mozart or any other of MA's contemporaries. I know that Coppola needs to reach a more modern audience. And, if using modern day music and motifs is what is needed to educate people in this day and age about MA, then I am all for it.

In short, I think that Her Majesty would totally approve! Please let me know what you think!

Adieu et bonjour!

Chou d'amour

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]