Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Fleur de Lys 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Fleur de Lys
Yesterday as it was a sunny day In Paris and I was eating my lunchtime sandwiches in the Square Louis XVI close to my work, I browsed around the entrance to the Chapelle Expiatoire. In a presentation cabinet there there are a number of MA/Louis XVI souvenirs to buy dvd's, brooches, books, mugs etc There were rather nice discreet gold plated fleur de lys pin badges for a man's jacket, and I hesitated about buying one. I then thought to myself (je me suis raisonné) that this was in fact impossible. To wear such a badge in France would be asking for trouble or at least disobliging remarks...it does not go down well to have sympathetic feelings for royalty in this country even over 200 years later. Indeed royal sentiments seem linked politically to the extreme right here. I would be interested to hear reader's comments on this..do they think I was right to hesitate buying such an article, and do they agree that this may have led to some disparaging remarks, and if so why? Is there really freedom of speech or thought in modern day France?

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:24 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

What an interesting post. I have no information/opinion to offer on this subject, but I will watch - with great interest - how this thread developes.

Viv

Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, an interesting question which applies to so many decisions, really, in our daily lives in many ways, from the macro cutlural 'expectations', to the micro parent-child relationship or what have you. For me personally, my decision is somewhat different in various situations. However, for the most part, I follow the passion of my heart without flaunting it. I may not follow the 'crowd', but I think it is more important to be true to myself. Hopefully, (it is delightful anyway when I do), I will run across someone else on this journey that has similar feelings to share! I am not afraid to rock the boat, and be it a character flaw maybe, this is where I am at right now in my life! I do admire those that have strong opinions and are willing to express them. As far as freedom of speech in France, or the 'climate' there I have no knowledge. Lets say, would you enjoy your lunch in the Square Louis XVI any less if you had adorned a fleur de lys pin?

Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that I would have enjoyed it even more...I often feel a deep need to show open support of our two favourite mistreated sovereigns, but I still feel that it's far from being a neutral subject over here. You should see the comments in the visitors book of the Chapelle Expiatoire, quite amazing, like slogans written in 1789, for and against the revolution, and vehemently so!
And Baron de Batz was always "un homme de l'ombre" and more effective for being so....

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

lol You're entitled to like what you like regardless of what the common joe says. What do most of them actually know about the French Revolution?

I am a bit of a troublemaker but I would want to invite any remarks Against Marie Antoinette...SO I could correct them and then give my opinion on Robespierre and the other pyschotic Revolutionarys :D

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:34 am
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Fleur de Lys
baron de batz wrote:
Yesterday as it was a sunny day In Paris and I was eating my lunchtime sandwiches in the Square Louis XVI close to my work, I browsed around the entrance to the Chapelle Expiatoire. In a presentation cabinet there there are a number of MA/Louis XVI souvenirs to buy dvd's, brooches, books, mugs etc There were rather nice discreet gold plated fleur de lys pin badges for a man's jacket, and I hesitated about buying one. I then thought to myself (je me suis raisonné) that this was in fact impossible. To wear such a badge in France would be asking for trouble or at least disobliging remarks...it does not go down well to have sympathetic feelings for royalty in this country even over 200 years later. Indeed royal sentiments seem linked politically to the extreme right here. I would be interested to hear reader's comments on this..do they think I was right to hesitate buying such an article, and do they agree that this may have led to some disparaging remarks, and if so why? Is there really freedom of speech or thought in modern day France?
haha i go to france every summer for a progam i attend and my friend i stay their with gave me a fleur de lys necklace that was incrested with cubic zircornias. i wore it walking down the street to a cafe with him and i did get some weird looks from people but hey i saw like for other french woman wearing them so i felt ok. one guy did yell stupid american but i developed a highly accurate accenta and when i shot back a reply he thought i was french. but i think its ok for you there is very much freedom of speech in france. i cant remember where but i think it was in avignon people wore those articles like they wore underwear. but i think you should go back and buy it.

La devise des coeurs : Je moeurs ou je m'attache
Gaston.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:56 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks Mademoiselle Lia, I now have a fleur de lys cushion cover bought at great expense from the Conciergerie boutique, so I think I'm slowly getting braver...love your poem at the bottom. For those non French speakers: (free translation)

When the ivy embraces the tree
And its common fate by the swing of the axe
It seems to say to those whom love unites
The common idiom of the heart
We are one even in death.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:25 am
Noble
Noble

Oh merci i found it off a really old postcard i saw somewhere in a musem and i quickly wrote down the french. well thats good. i hope your bravery gets you to do more things and not have your thoughts of what people think bring you down

La devise des coeurs : Je moeurs ou je m'attache
Gaston.

Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:01 pm
Royalty
Royalty

To anyone who is French here, I don't mean to be rude, but those French really need to, suffice to say, get over it! I mean, they're still fuming over a group of people they killed 200 years ago when they really had no reason to kill them in the first place. I wonder what would happen if someone walked down the Place de la Concorde with a big fat picture of Marie Antoinette on their t-shirt!

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

baron de batz wrote:

I also agree that you should go back and buy one Baron, or many! I live in Australia and people here hate royalty in general, but I think to wear the fleur de lys its very commendable in France. I guess the thing is to not think about other people's stupid mass opinions formed from bad publicity 200 years ago, do it for Marie!

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

I realize that this is an old thread but I couldn't help but reply! I have myself been wondering what the current opinion is of MA and the rest of the Royal family in France - this is interesting to hear! Is there a group of "Royalists" in Paris/France at this time?

I have recently purchased a Fleur de Lys necklace (I live in Canada so not much reaction from anyone about MA or Revolutionary ideas) and I wear it every single day. I work for a company that employs several French Canadians and I thought that some of them might comment on it, but no one has said a thing - which I found surprising! The Fleur de Lys is very much a part of French Canadian history, as well as France and the royal family.

I think if I were living in Paris and had to endure the comments and looks, I can't say that I would wear it. I know a little something about the struggle between fitting in/being accepted and expressing your individuality and beliefs. It's a tough decision! I'd be interested to know what the outcome was...did you buy anything, and are you wearing it?

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:16 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As a belated reply to your question there is a royalist current in France, byu minor and fairly underground. It is also quite strongly linked to catholic undercurrents and movements. I did not finally buy the Fleur de Lys jacket pin. I have a fleur de lys embroidered cushion cover, a poster, a Marie Antoinette bust, portraits of various figures of the ancien régime, but all in the safety of my home. I would not feel at ease openly sporting the fleur de lys emblem in France.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:40 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I don't think its the fact that it is an infraction of the freedom of speech, its French society that does not like the fleur de lis, and unfortunately, we all lie down all of morals and desires to please the rest of society. That is a wise decision. I would have not purchased it either. Why are the French so sensitive about any "royalist"?

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:20 pm
Royalty
Royalty

It is rather sad that that is true and it makes me think less of the people of France that they are somehow still afraid of a restoration. I wonder, how would they react if one sported about bumblebees with a big "N" in the middle?

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I agree, it does make me think less of the French too. It happened oh only 217 years ago. I understand people feeling the pain and misery of the holocaust because it was such an atrocity to endure. The holocaust only happened 60 years ago. When I went to Dachau, I picked up a rock so I would never forgot that I set foot there. The rock was like a metaphor of the woe of the people. When we were watching a movie a girl was crying when she saw it. Although I did not cry I was solemn the rest of the day. The statue of the twisted gnarled skeletal forms with the words "Never forget". In Anne Frank's house I caught a glimpse of a video of naked corpses about to be thrown in their fiery grave. As to why one would like to murder masses of innocent people, makes my heart sink lower. Why kill innocent people?

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next