Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 About the French...... 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post About the French......
How come many of Americans and British don't like the French?

Mon May 21, 2007 10:09 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Honestly Monika I don't know. I am both American and British but I don't hate the French. The reason might be cuz I am French though. :wink: :lol: :D :) :P :idea:
One can never know about other countries and their opinions

Your truley,
Marie Antionette/ Jessica

Tue May 22, 2007 12:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think that French refusal to sanction the Iraq war (and I entirely side with the French frankly) has made France exceedingly unpopular in the US - there was that ridiculous debacle with French Fries being renamed 'Freedom Fries' for one thing!

Wed May 23, 2007 10:35 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This phenomenon was reciprocal Moose... in France also the image of American was blackened... but with time it improves :wink:

Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Wed May 23, 2007 2:51 pm
Profile YIM
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I think that there are some ostilities among French and british since more time, from Louis XIV's period. :shock: :D I agree with french :lol:

Wed May 23, 2007 4:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The French and British have a long history of fighting yeah :) I prefer to think of it as being friendly rivalry these days tho.

Thu May 24, 2007 4:42 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

The French and the Scots have a long history of backing each other up against the English. The 'Auld Alliance' dates back to the 13th century.

Thu May 24, 2007 7:20 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thu May 24, 2007 9:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu May 24, 2007 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Who in the world actually likes the USA now??!? :lol: I don't think the majority of US actually dislikes the French, I'm not sure, I think the French dislike US more. :?:

Fri May 25, 2007 2:03 am
Noble
Noble

Who in the world actually likes the USA now??!? :lol: I don't think the majority of US actually dislikes the French, I'm not sure, I think the French dislike US more. :?:

Many Americans don't even like the country (or least its present condition). It seems like the most common topic of discussion at school is how stupid Americans are. :roll: I think it's more of a problem of humans being stupid. *Jokes :wink:

Fri May 25, 2007 3:18 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: About the French......
weeloveschickens wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:

Many Americans don't even like the country (or least its present condition). It seems like the most common topic of discussion at school is how stupid Americans are. :roll: I think it's more of a problem of humans being stupid. *Jokes :wink:

Just a clarification - Many Americans do not like the POLITICS of the country, the country of America is a wonderful place. I have never known anyone who wants to leave. All Americans are NOT represented by the American government. And even if some Americans TOTALLY ARE completely stupid (which I agree some are) it's too bad schools are discussing the stupidity of it's citizens rather than educating them to not put a whole country of people into the same category by assuming that because you live here, you must hold the same political views as the government.

Alot of Americans have the idea that the French hate Americans. Before both my trips to France, I was told this by someone or another. More than once. Well, I found absolutely no evidence of this whatsoever! And if I ever hear this statement made, I correct the person making it. The French people could not have been more wonderful on both my visits. I think that if you go anywhere acting like a jerk then you will have a problem with people - we are all responsible for our behavior and if you act right, people treat you right (generally).

The French-English thing might have some root in religion - My Grandparents were French and English- the problem families had with them being together was that he was a French-Catholic and she was from the English Church. They were allowed to get married but my Grandmother had to become Catholic.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Because the relation of my country and America I can’t judge that, but I agree that American politics isn’t very popular so many countries have the negative attitude towards the Americans too.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:25 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Lilly wrote:
The French-English thing might have some root in religion - My Grandparents were French and English- the problem families had with them being together was that he was a French-Catholic and she was from the English Church. They were allowed to get married but my Grandmother had to become Catholic

I think it's a geographical/historical thing between the English and the French - only the English Channel separated them and at certain points in history, monarchs of each country desired the throne of the other. They were also willing to take advantage of the other country's weaknesses, which is where Scotland came into it with the "Auld Alliance" with France - they would, as someone said previously, back each other up against England to their mutual benefit......so before the Union with England, Scotland and France had always been on relatively good terms.

From the Declaration of Arbroath (Scottish Declaration of Independence), 1320.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next