Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Infamous Queens 

Which of the following do you think was the most interesting, powerful, and influential Queen that has ever reigned?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:22 pm
Queen Elizabeth I 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Mary Queen of Scots 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cleopatra VII 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Infamous Queens 
Post Infamous Queens
Hey everyone,

The other day I was thinking about how powerful Maria Theresa was as a Queen. Then I realized that there have been quite a few women that not only ruled with grace, but also changed the way women were perceived. I would love to know which Queens you feel were the most powerful, successful, and fascinating. (Other than Marie Antoinette :D ) If your favourite isn’t on the list feel free to let us know who, and why.

Thanks!!!

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:22 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I believe Queen Elizabeth I was a very influential Queen. She suffered as a child watching her mother beheaded, even her step mother beheaded, and of course the hearing of her cousin's beheading. My favorite quote was when she was standing in front of the people of England and showed them her golden ring on her finger stating, "I am married to England!"

She used to have even secret church services in her home, loved her chambermaids as her friends, and helped many explorers. She was so powerful and influential, it's nice she introduced the Protestant religion unlike the bloody Mary Tudor. Mary Tudor begged her in her deathbed to introduce the catholic religion to the country but Elizabeth thought otherwise. She saved many christians and helped the persecuted. She was the type that was born to be a Queen and died as a loyal Queen.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:50 pm
Post Infamous Queens
Yeah I also think that Elizabeth was one of the greatest Queens. She grew up in such a negative enviroment but she never let her depressing childhood effect her when she was an adult. I also think that Victoria was a great Queen, I can't believe I forgot to put her on the poll :(

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ah yes! That is another Queen I admire, Queen Victoria! She introduced the collie dogs :D

Many Queens I believe were very great, I think Marie and Queen Elizabeth are very much alike but however, I think Queen Elizabeth
could handle her people better, I don't mean by Marie is a bad Queen
I mean, Elizabeth had enough authority to control the people and such. In other words, Elizabeth had the intentions of becoming a Queen and knew of the responsibilities, unlike Marie, was interested in politics and made sure everything economic wise was in function. Marie was more free spirited who wanted a life, wanted to help people, have friends, and have a husband settle down. She was more of a mother figure and was condemned for it. Queen Elizabeth had a duty to her people, and let's not forget that all she had time for, the people. She never had a family to worry about.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

La Reine Marie Antoinette is my hero in every field. She is my example for women's power (yes, like an early feminist), intelligence and caring for the weaker people and talented in arts like professional.
From these other queens, I chose Elizabeth I of England, an independent character.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:08 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I could not agree with you more, Aurora ! :wink: And I chose Elizabeth the first, who had real political power, and was a true ruler. No salic law in England... Even now, French people wonder if they could accept a lady for president... We have no salic law in Belgium either, and, should Belgium still exist, we would have a queen Elisabeth. But kings ans queens have no real power. And we have no lady for prime minister !

But, to me, the word "queen" will always refer to Marie-Antoinette.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:46 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Ever time I hear the story of Marie's death it seems like it is new to me each time I hear, I fall in love with her life but I always seem to forget she died by the gullotine, and each time I hear it, it feels I am growing through sorrow like I still can't believe it. I hear her death about a hundred times but each time it makes me go through the same feeling.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Alas, dear... She did live these awful events... She really did... :cry:

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

As for other great queens, I think that Empress Maria Theresa, who ruled several nations, was extremely influential and her policies exerted an influence which endure to this day. Likewise, the Great Catherine, who carved a nation out of the vast Russian empire with her brains and force of personality.

But I love Marie-Antoinette the most.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I vote Elizabeth but think Maria Theresa, Catherine the Great, Christina, Victoria, Marie de Medicis, and our own Marie Antoinette should be added to the poll.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:43 am
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

What about Ci Xi, the empress dowager of imperial China?

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:34 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Cixi is definately interesting and wielded some power but whether or not she was a successful ruler is another question entirely *laughs* I think that is the key to making a choice on Jasmine's quiz. Cleopatra and Mary Queen of Scots I would also mark down as unsuccessful rulers, both lost their Kingdoms in the end. Elizabeth I ruled long and successfully, as did Victoria - both good choices I think. Eleanor of Aquitaine is a favourite figure of mine and quite possibly up there with Elizabeth and Victoria, definately a woman of great influence in her time ... one to ponder ...

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, especially since Eleanor was only a queen consort and not a ruling queen - but she knew how to successfully wield power, even from the castle where Henry II imprisoned her for ten years.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next