Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Infamous Queens 

Which of the following do you think was the most interesting, powerful, and influential Queen that has ever reigned?
Poll ended at Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:22 pm
Queen Elizabeth I 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
Mary Queen of Scots 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Cleopatra VII 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Infamous Queens 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think each Queen like Elizabeth, Cleopatra, Marie Antoinette, Maria, Victoria, Mary Queen of Scots, and many more countless names they each contributed thier own influence upon thier people, some have unfortunately perished a tragic way dying for thier cause but others have lived through the day, but each have left behind a legacy. :)

Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:17 am
Post Infamous Queens
Yeah I agree with you Louis-Antoinette!!! There have been so many fascinating women throughout time. I apologize for the lack of people on the poll. ( I was just so eager to hear what everyone had to say that I didn’t even stop to think) But I would like to say that I didn’t put Marie Antoinette on the poll on purpose. Simply because I wanted to know what other Queens interested everyone. And well lets face it she was on the poll she would have won hands down!!! :D

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Out of Those Elizabeth but all three are interesting. I always found reading about Isabelle of Castille to be very interesting. Mary I (Bloody Mary) I've always felt was the victim of history being written by the victors.....
Tsarina Alexandre (Nicolas II's Wife) is another fascinating one...her and her tragic family are quite the read

Last edited by Monsieur Royale on Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, yes, Isabel, how could we forget her?

Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:55 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Mary Tudor, I really felt she was another victim. She was plagued by her own religious catholic ideas thinking England would be better off as a Catholic nation. Since a child she was neglected because of Elizabeth I. They felt Elizabeth had potential and Mary was weak.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, poor Mary Tudor, she may not have fallen into that bigotry if her father had not been so cruel to her mother. It sent her over the edge. Otherwise, she may have been a great queen, too. Very sad, for everyone involved.

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've always sympathized with poor Mary Tudor...it wasn't right what she did to Protesants but it wasn't right what her awful father did to the Catholics... (and she's the one who ends up with a nicname :roll: )
Henry VIII was just a monster in general....

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:26 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think it's sad that Elizabeth had to watch her first mother die, then her second step mother, she grew close with all the woman in general each one died or divorced. Such a tragedy!

As much as I love King and Queens I do not think it's all that fun to a certain extent, it's a serious job to consider.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, the movie "Cleopatra" is on; I'm going to go watch it! :shock: :wink:

Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:47 am
Noble
Noble

What about Ci Xi, the empress dowager of imperial China?

Aurora, are you also intesred in Ci Xi? :shock:

Great indeed, Ci Xi was really powerful in the Qing Dynasty, who got a firm command of absolute power, even far stronger than the emperor then. Rather, she controlled the emperor, the chamber and the whole China. Compared to her complete power, she was infamous for her autarchy and extravagance. Additionally, the bloody policies that she did to people provoked a vast hostility, resentment and antagonism towards her. Thus, she was quite a controversial queen (as an emperor in substantive fact) in Chinese history.

Please feel free to share your ideas with me about this powerful queen in China... :D

And, I want to mention another famous and beloved queen in history. That is Sisi! She is Elisabeth Amalie Eugenie, Princess of Bavaria, Empress in Austria-hungary. She was charming, natural, respectful and kind to her people. And she enjoyed a high reputation in Hungary. People of Hungary still see her as their beloved queen. I love Sisi.

Please be relaxed to talk about your thoughts...And I wonder whether it is some relationship between Queen Sisi and Queen Marie Antoinette? :wink:

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Sisi and Marie-Antoinette are no doubt related through the Stuarts and the Bavarian royal family.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:26 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes Christina! CiXi is one of the powerful women in history. Years ago when visiting Beijing I saw her palaces and it was all very interesting. However I don't think her being an extremely cruel or manipulative person. It was like her own "life-insurance" to survive in the very patriarcal system.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I was in Beijing with a travel group over the summer so the imperial palaces were part of the tour. It was an incredible experience to see where the emperors and their families lived--putting everything in a better sense.
Xi'an is a fanastic city to visit too--not just for the terra cotta soldiers.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:27 am
Noble
Noble

The palace where the emperors lived is really splendid. To know much about the last emperor's dramatic life and traditional royal etiquette in the Qing Dynasty, I want to introduce the film The Last Emperor (1987). You will get more ideas about the related stories.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:22 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Aurora wrote:
What about Ci Xi, the empress dowager of imperial China?

Great indeed, Ci Xi was really powerful in the Qing Dynasty, who got a firm command of absolute power, even far stronger than the emperor then. Rather, she controlled the emperor, the chamber and the whole China. Compared to her complete power, she was infamous for her autarchy and extravagance. Additionally, the bloody policies that she did to people provoked a vast hostility, resentment and antagonism towards her. Thus, she was quite a controversial queen (as an emperor in substantive fact) in Chinese history.

Hello Christina,
My sister-in-law is Taiwanese. So I have been very interested in that (Chinese) culture for a very long time.

There is a pretty old (1974) but very good book about Tz'u-Hsi (old spelling) "The Dragon Empress" by Marina Warner.

Any parallels between the Dragon Empress and the French Queen? We could start with both were literally taken from their home and dumped into the middle of a strange court, having to learn almost everything from scratch, having to produce a male child to secure a safe place........but it changes as only one survived, by her wits, cunning, even cruelty. She pulled herself from the ranks of the concubines to being the ruler of China. Maybe T'zu-Hsi had more in common with Catherine the Great?

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next