Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Marie Antoinette's biography 
Noble
Noble

Post Marie Antoinette's biography
Hi everyone,
I just fineshed to read the Marie Antoinette's biography by Catalina of Habsburg a descendant of her family. Also I did read Stefan Zweig and Jean Chalot biographies about her. Wich other ones, you all think, are good ones. I will really appreciate the information. :)

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

To my mind the biographies of Nolhac ("Marie-Antoinette Dauphine" and "La Reine Marie-Antoinette") as that of Simone Bertière ("Marie-Antoinette l'insoumise") are the best. :wink:
But I don't know if they were translated into German...

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Thanks Louis-Charles, for the information, I will try to find those books here in Germany, but also I could buy them in english or spanish as well:wink:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi, Little-Trianon ! What do you think about the bio by Catalina von Habsburg ? I never heard about it...

Cronin's dubble bio of Louis and Antoinette is a good one, following all those who read it. I am for the moment... but still in the beginning !

I did not enjoy Zweig's bio and, the more I read this, the more I disagree with the man. However, it was my first bio of Antoinette...

Like Chou-Charles, I deeply admire Bertiere's works and serious researchs. And I have a special tenderness for Chantal Thomas' books, full of a peculiar sensitivity and... of an extra soul !

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've read the book of Catalina von Habsburg...I've liked the biography

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 pm
Noble
Noble

Thanks for your answer, and I will try to find those biographies of Antoinette, that you and Louis-Charles wrote about.

About the biography by Catalina of Habsburg, I found it ok, but not the best I did read, she wrote a lot about the family ( Habsburg) , but she obviated some details about history and some anecdotes about our dear Antoinette. Anyway, I bought the book in Spain, it is still not available in Germany. A good thing was, that in the book you are able to find some pictures and drawing of Marie Antoinette, Louis XVI some friends like, the Princess Lamballe, family,etc.

Other good book I bought was: "Walks through Marie Antoinette's Paris" by Diana Reid Haig. A lovely little guide book takes us on a fascinating tour of sites from palaces to prisons touched by the history of Antoinette.

Thanks again , for the tips
:)

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Waow... Looks interesting ! I will try to find these books too... The book by Catalina I'll try to read in German, so that I could learn it a bit more... I love German so much...

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:51 am
Noble
Noble

you can find the book: " Walks through Marie Antoinette's Paris" at Amazon, I bought it there.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks Little-Trianon I noted this information too :D

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:00 pm
Noble
Noble

As far as I am concerned, I think that Evelyne Lever biography (Les dernières noces de la monarchie_ there's also Louis XVI biography in it) and Hortense Dufour Biographie ( Marie Antoinette, La Mal Aimée) are excellent ones !
But I also advise the one written by André Castelot (Marie Antoinette) and in an other gender "Marie Antoinette, images d'un destin" by Xavier Salmon and Michel Lanfond. This shows you Marie Antoinette's life through paintings and portraits from the very first protrait of her to the last drawing by David. (very interresting, but I don't know anthing about possible tanslations in English or German...)

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Lever's biography of Antoinette is translated in English (and then, re-translated in French from English :lol: ). It's not my favorite one, for I learned nothing more while reading this, and I think madame Lever adds no peculiar information about our queen.

Her biography of the king takes no account of the Giraut de Coursac couple's works, while Bertiere, or Delorme, do, for instance, writing about Antoinette's relationships with Louis. The G de C are too fair to Louis, in my view, but they collected a huge material, and they proposed interesting theories.

I also enjoyed Dufour's book, but we must remember it is a fictictional biography, and most details come from the author's own imagination, as, for instance, these tender mention of "Fersen's little room just under the roofs of Versailles". Madame Albanel precised that such a secret room does not exist in Versailles !

Furthermore, madame Dufour made some mistakes.

As far as this Fersen affair is concerned, I have the deepest respect for Stanley Loomis for, even if he believes that Fersen and Antoinette once were lovers (and I don't), he gives us both viewpoints and analyses other historians' theories very seriously before telling his own opinion. There's no manipulation there, on the contrary, good historical critic !

Castelot's biography is full of details and its chronology is very precise. However, I find him rather unfair to our Antoinette...

I would like to add Philippe Delorme's biography of Antoinette, which I enjoyed very much. Both authors, Delorme and Bertiere, wrote a series about the queens of France. No doubt it's the reason why their works are so interesting... they both have a larger perspective.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]