Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 What if Louis XVI had perished in March, 1789 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post What if Louis XVI had perished in March, 1789
i am re reading Antonia Fraser's bio at the moment and it mentions a near fatal accident at Versailles that almost ended the life of the King, and Ms. Fraser indulges in the What If Question. If he had died Louis Charles would've then been Louis XVII with Marie Antoinette as Regent.....just curious how do you thinks would've went then?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I am pretty sure Provence would have done all that he could to have Marie-Antoinette out of regency and locked in a convent, so that he could take her place !

Maybe he would also have the dauphin poisoned... so that the crown would miraculously fall on his big head !

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:38 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Alas... I read a theory that Provence may be involved in Louis-Joseph's death... I don't know what to think about that, but remember pieces of glass were found in Louis-Charles' food...

This man wasn't afraid of poisoning his brother's and sister-in-law's reputations nor of destroying his niece's hopes and life...

So ? For such a cold and calculative mind, only focused on power...

Last edited by Pimprenelle on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hah, if Provence would have become a king, then the french people could really have had a need for la Révolution!

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Alas again... On the other hand, as Provence was so involved in the process of this revolution, as he paied so many people for burning minds, maybe, if his brother was dead and Provence actually on the throne, there would have been no revolution at all...

However... There is still Orleans... All those awful people !

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know, Honey, I know, it breaks my heart also!

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:58 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is interesting about Provence poisoning Louis-Joseph and does not surprise me at all. Some also think he had influence upon the fate of Louis XVII, as well. Of course, since Provence did eventualy become King we know what kind of monarch he was - unscrupulous, politically liberal, with few convictions and goals outside of his own success.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:39 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In the marriage settlement, Marie Antoinette was free to leave France if Louis XVI died. With her children, I think she still would've stayed. With her vicious in-laws, she probably won't have lasted as Regent for long. Not everything was well in France (ie mounting national debt) so there still would have been social and political upheaval.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And even if Marie-Antoinette had wanted to leave, she could not, because the revolutionists did not want especially that she flees even out Paris :wink:
They wanted her death...

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally the romantic in me would like to imagine Marie Antoinette standing up to Provence. For at that point she answers to no one.

I never heard about Provence putting glass in Louis Joseph,'s food where did you hear about that Pimprenelle?
I wouldn't put it past such an awful man

As for the Social and political upheaval, MA offered stronger leadership skills then her husband perhaps she could've handled it slighltly better...What if's are hard :lol:

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:57 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I never heard about Provence putting glass in Louis Joseph,'s food where did you hear about that Pimprenelle?

I read this information more than once. I don't remember if these mentions were in bios of Antoinette or of Louis-Charles. And I am afraid I won't have time for searching for this specific point for the moment... Be sure I'll remember your question and that, as soon as I fall upon this quotation, I'll give you the references.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:01 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nothing about Provence would surprise me.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Did Marie Antoinette ever know how much Provence worked against her and her husband?
(I Don't ever remember reading that)

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]