Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Declaration of the rights of Women and the Female Citizen 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Declaration of the rights of Women and the Female Citizen
Written by Olympe de Gouges it was addressed to Marie Antoinette. Does anyone know what the Queen thought of the document? I've never read anything about her thinking anything of it...

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:36 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It does not say anything either to me... but it interests me to know the opinions of Marie-Antoinette on these things :o

What did she think about the conditions of the women in this century? Few historians speak really about this subject damage :cry:

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
i guess we keep forgetting that even though she was queen she was also a teenager...she was very young when married...she did not exactly get any guidance from her husband...and she was living a life often termed as "extravagant" but in those days every royalty and aristocracy of europe lived a life of extravagance. Given time, she might have proven to be a good queen...but she was unpopular from the beginning...never givena chance...how then could she really have spent much time on thinking on the plight of other women when she herself was trying to make a place for herself...

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

At her trial she said, "I was the wife of Louis XVI and bound to conform to his will." That was the traditional view of the role of women, although Marie-Antoinette did things that broke the mold such as make a woman the court portrait painter. Feminism such as we know it would have been completely foreign to her, however.

Last edited by Therese on Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Of course, it would be an anachronism to call Marie-Antoinette a feminist... even if our today feminists may recognize her protofeminist... She had the model of her mother, an effectively ruling Caesar, and of her sisters, Carolina, for instance, who truly reign over Napoli.

So, Marie-Antoinette, in my view, was a woman used to feminine power. In her family, the traditional model was reversed : Maria-Theresia dominated, and her husband agreed with that. All of Maria-Theresia's daughters tended to reproduce this pattern. In old Salic France, Marie-Antoinette could not.

However, even if put aside to "menus plaisirs" by her powerful husband, she kept on her own way, as much as a woman could do, furthermore a queen, trying to win little bits of decision from "this poor man".

Her "protofeminism" is also clear when seeing how she admired and tried to protect clever and independant women. She did so for Mme Vigée-Lebrun, but also for Rose Bertin, her dear milliner, for Françoise Raucourt, her favorite actress.

On this peculiar account, the famous letter to Mme de Tourzel is interesting, when Marie-Antoinette talks about a Mme de Friminville she specialy admires and appreciates. This lady was the daughter of some lady of her suite. "I kept an eye on her, she said. I married her". Then, she adds she would like to have her for teaching her children instead of l'abbé d'Aveau.

These words, in my opinion, summarize the way Marie-Antoinette was a feminist : not a political one, not like Olympe or Théroigne, but, I'd say, a day to day one.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I agree, Pim. On a practical level, she protected women. She gave dowries to brides, and took care of unwed mothers. She was a feminist in the way it really counts.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:09 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

thanks for the Actual MA quote, Pimpernelle Always great to hear her own words!

Were a lot of the women causes charaties under her patronage?

Another way MA was progressive women was that all though she had very little to do with politics early on she still out shined the King

Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]