Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 requiem 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post requiem
I just found this surfing random :
http://rogercalmel.free.fr/oeuvres/oeuv ... antoinette
Does anyone know about this requiem ?

Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:39 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have heard of it but not listened to it. It sounds magnificent!

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I had never heard of it ! I'd really want to listen to it... :shock:

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Similar for me I did not know this requiem ... but it seems interesting :o

Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have this CD. There are also the first movement Adagio-Vivace from the Symphony no 85 (La Reine) by Josef Haydn and letter of Marie Antoinette to Madame Elisabeth, which is read by an actress Elisabeth Tamaris. The Requiem is of course in present style, but it is pleasant to listen. I bought this CD in the bookshop of Conciergerie, have not seen it anywhere else, except in the net. It is by the way live recording from the Conciergerie taken in le 16 octobre 1993, from the memorial concert.

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is interessting indeed!
But I refuse to go to the Conciergerie... I have too much evil... :?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I never dared to visit it either, Chou-Charles... But the information is great, anyway ! Thank you so much, Aurora... Is it modern like, let's say, Michael Nyman, for instance ? Or Kronos Quartet ? Or Wim Mertens... ?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I would say it is close to the romantic post-modernism, but with effective chorus. Not so contemporary sounding (like Schönberg, Stockhausen), pleases a wider audience than strict modern works. Not Nyman, chérie..but you can listen it well, the emotions in the different parts are clearly written out, nice instrumentation. But honestly I think it was written to be an hommage à la Reine, that is its greatest value.

Yes my friends, Conciergérie is a terrible place, I have been there only three times in my whole life. First time as a teenager, and then only to check the re-creation of the cell of the noble and La Reine and the chapelle. The first time I visited I hit my head very badly when coming through the inner door between her cell and chapelle and nearly went to the first aid. I could only remember how Marie Antoinette hit her head in Temple...Life is strange.

But, I never felt that in Conciergerie is something from Marie Antoinette. In Trianon et Hameau, hmm that is a completely different athmosphere... So no need to be afraid of the evil in Conciergerie, all is left is deep tragedies and sadness and an old medieval palace so misused...

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:40 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you for all these informations, dear ! Each time I decided to visit the conciergerie, something happened that made me change my mind, or I had no time left... I guess that, deep inside, I am afraid...

I walked on the "place de la révolution" already, and felt very uncomfortable. I even got sick. I must be too sensitive... even in the Tuileries gardens, I felt weird. Too much unhappiness still floating in the air, maybe, too much bloodshed round there...

I was moved by your story in the conciergerie, and you hurting your head too... yes, life is strange...

Oh, I want this requiem ! I'll get there and buy it !

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Requiem par Calmel is an unique composition, so I think it is good to have. If you are interested in the memoralia pieces there is also for example Jan Ladislav (où bien Jean Louis) Dussek's (yes, the husband this time, haha ) The sufferings of the Queen of France op.23/C 98 for piano, also I think there are some religious-orientated pieces, perhaps Therese knows more. And of course these songs for example de Cléry etc., but I doubt if they are ever recorded.

Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I went to the Conciergerie while I was in Paris two years ago. Going to La Reine's cell, the chapel, and the women's courtyard allowed to me to get a better feel of history. Still it was sad. All those names of those who went to the gullotine...

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]