Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Marie-Antoinette's Reputation 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Marie-Antoinette's Reputation
How could have Marie-Antoinette changed her reputation with the people of France? It seems that there was so much political influence on the negative propaganda circulating about her. Could she have taken different actions considering the circumstances surrounding her? Could Louis have made a difference in how she was viewed? And the nobility ~ did they support her or did they do little to protect her reputation?

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is especially towards 1783-1785 that the reputation of Marie-Antoinette started to be really bad: lampoons on her expenditure, her sexual tastes and her inaccuracies, the business of the collar where she was implied even if she was innocent, and the beginning of a financial crisis in France. :?

Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post initially
And initially, she was at least liked. Now, she did what she thought of to cultivate her reputation, like responding nicely to cheers; but I think she could do much more. been seen talking to the poor in paris; making her charity much better known, doing it in public, not in secret;
and even after they were kindapped to Paris - at least try to make herself more accessible to the simple people. It seems when MA really tried to charm, she could. my impression is for most of her time as queen she did not try to charm her people, only her coterie, so she left clear room for her detractors.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:44 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dorit, M-A did receive the common people many times, such as when the Dauphin was born. Versailles was open to the public and she lived surrounded by her subjects. She visited hospitals and orphanages with Madame Royale and even a masonic lodge. Being at the Opera was a public appearance in itself. Even at Trianon, she had those peasant families whom she had brought to live there. Yes, she withdrew more when her children started dying and she needed to be alone to keep her sanity.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:06 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

my impression is for most of her time as queen she did not try to charm her people, only her coterie, so she left clear room for her detractors.

I really wonder about that... Actually, isn't it the impression we get from Mercy's reports to Marie Therese ?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:09 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I honestly don't think she could've done a thing. She was their scapegoat for all their problems :cry:

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:10 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I honestly don't think she could've done a thing. She was their scapegoat for all their problems

I am thinking more toward this also. And, I think that she was Austrian did not help either, once the revolution got started.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:31 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Yes, this is a good question because it seems like the main reason why Marie Antoinette is so commonly misunderstood today is because people say that she did absolutely nothing to help the starving people of France. But she did care about them. Is there actually anything that would have been within her power to do? If she found a way to feed the hungry, would it have saved the country (and herself) from the revolution? Was there a way she could have provided for them?

~*vive la reine*~

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Is there actually anything that would have been within her power to do?

No... Indeed... She had no effective power about this situation. All she could do was chrities, adopting children, giving things to poor people, employing them in her domain of Trianon... all drops of water in the ocean of poverty, alas... :cry:

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]