Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 a what-if question... 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post a what-if question...
when the fate of the royal family was still being decided, it was suggested that the royal family might be sent to america. what do you think would have happened if they actually had relocated to america? it would have been a much more agreeable fate, i think. but how do you think they would have spent their lives, and do you think it would have any noticeable repercussions for america itself?

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In America, in England, in Italy... I don't care ! All that I see is that Antoinette would be safe... Actually, the only way for this royal family to escape from death would be to run away from France. Indeed... their enemies were inside, unfortunately.

So, I often dream that they fly away... the destination does not matter... only their lives !

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

How I wish that they actually did go to America...if only it was true :cry:

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:44 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I have a better idea: the Royal Family travels no further than back to Versailles; let their tormentors cross the ocean... to Cayenne (a well known labour detention prison extensively used in the 19th century) :D

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

i wonder, if the royal family had been sent to america, how this would have affected relations between america and france. surely most of the family's enemies would continue calling for them to be put to death. the question is, how far would they have gone to see that through? would french revolutionaries have attempted to bring the royal family back to france? further still, how would america have responded?

Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:33 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

And how would other nations have viewed it? I doubt George III would have been very cofortable with it. It might, ultimately, have led to another war.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:42 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

i wonder how america itself would have responded. on one hand, france was instrumental in helping with the american revolution. on the other hand, as a new nation founded under all of these ideas about independence and liberty, would they have refused to hand the royal family over, considering them citizens? it's been a long time since i've brushed up on my american history (since high school, in fact!) so if anyone has other ideas, please enlighten me!

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Antonia Fraser mentions stories of houses in Maine being prepared for La Reine if she were to come the US. With Maine bordering Canada, a great opportunity for French-speaking locals!

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:34 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Yes I remember reading that too Arietta! It certainly would have been a better fate for the French Royal Family had they been sent to America. As another poster mentioned above, this would have created interesting added tension between America and England.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:54 am
Royalty
Royalty

I think the Royal Family would have been fine here in America because remember, if the French hadn't halped us in the Revolutionary War, we probably wouldn't have won.

Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]