Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Why exactly was Marie Antoinette hated among the French? 
Post Why exactly was Marie Antoinette hated among the French?
I know this may seem like a silly question, but I'm trying to get a brief answer because whenever I try to come up with an answer, it seems too broad. Please help!

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:49 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

She was used as a scapegoat by the people to justify their cruelties in the revolution. She was 'picked on' for her suppossed lavish spending and immoral behavior (both of which we know were exaggerated, and down right untrue!) She was the victim of politics and the growing unrest in France which led up to the French revolution.

I will wait for others to give a better answer than myself! :D

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:54 pm
That was a great answer. Thanks SO much! She was used as a scapegoat, and it was downright cruel.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:57 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

i can't say it any better than was already stated. the french people needed someone to blame, and many of the things they blamed marie antoinette for were based on rumor, exaggeration, and downright lies.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:07 pm
Thanks. And I have another question. I tried to read the diamond necklace affair articles, but they are WAY too broad? Could somebody summarize it for me? :]

Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:27 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

And French people didn't like Austrian people very much. People of the Versailles have been taught to "hate" Austrian people, because they were enemies. And like papillon said, the French people needed someone to blame and because Marie Antoinette wasn't from the France, it was her.
I hope you understan :)

Someone who can write better English can answer to that question :lol:

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:04 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

And French people didn't like Austrian people very much. People of the Versailles have been taught to "hate" Austrian people, because they were enemies. And like papillon said, the French people needed someone to blame and because Marie Antoinette wasn't from the France, it was her.
I hope you understan :)

Someone who can write better English can answer to that question :lol:

Yes Arianna, the Austrian-Franco alliance was frowned on by many, so even French aristocrats were against her from the beginning. Her ninckname at court was "L'Autrichienne" loosely meaning the Austrian bitch (sorry, but it's true!)

As to a diamond necklace affair summary, I'm afraid I'm no good there! I'm waiting for one of our more exerienced members to answer that one! :lol:

Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:42 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Arianna wrote:
Yes Arianna, the Austrian-Franco alliance was frowned on by many, so even French aristocrats were against her from the beginning. Her ninckname at court was "L'Autrichienne" loosely meaning the Austrian bitch (sorry, but it's true!)

As to a diamond necklace affair summary, I'm afraid I'm no good there! I'm waiting for one of our more exerienced members to answer that one! :lol:

Didn't they also call her "Widow Capet"? (Sorry, I don't know what "capet" means...)

And about the Diamond Necklace Affair, I found some interesting (and broad too!) articles. A while ago I wrote an essay on it and so, here goes my summery...

A jeweler offered Marie a fabulously expensive necklace, but she turned it down with, "Better to buy a new ship of the line than to spend a sum on a necklace, regardless of how beautiful..."

Then Countess de Lamotte forged a letter to the jeweler saying Marie changed her mind and would meet him at night to recieve it.

So Lamotte found a prositute who looked like Marie and dressed her in a dress that matched one of Marie's. The woman met the jewler and took the necklace giving it to Lamotte and the Revolutionists with more propaganda.

Please correct anything if I made any mistakes. Or comment! ^_^

Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Didn't they also call her "Widow Capet"? (Sorry, I don't know what "capet" means...)

Capet was like the usual surname of Louis XVI, all the Bourbons belonged to the Capet's family. :D
Thus like Marie-Antoinette married Louis XVI, she was also a Capet :wink:

Yes you are right, the "affaire du collier" was disastrous for her reputation, even if she were innocent. :?

I spoke about it here : :wink:
http://www.marie-antoinette.org/forum/v ... .php?t=561

Last edited by Louis-Charles on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Thank~you for explaining, Louis-Charles. :D

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:41 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Here is an article about what the king and queen tried to do for their people:

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... marie.html

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:20 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post it's the aristocracy's fault
I always thought Marie Antoinette became the scapegoat because of the aristocracy, as mentioned earlier here. I mean, saying she's a scape goat is a good start, but doesn't answer the "why her". and the answer, I think, is that there were strong aristocratic factions interested in discrediting her, either from self-interest or from being offended by her behavior. there is Provence and Orleans, who wanted to be king, and had an interest in casting doubt on her children's legitimacy; there were the aunts, who hated her for being Austrian and pretty and young and higher than them; there were older aristocrats offended by not being included in her circle. they started the rumors, and they published the first lampoons.

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:18 pm
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I agree with that analysis as well. The enemy within and without. MA could trust only her immediate family and a few close friends...

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next