Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Children adopted by Marie Antoinette! 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Zoe
As of yet in all my documented research I still have not discovered Zoe's surname. This is what I do know of her. She was the youngest daughter of three. Her father was a Hussar in the retinue of Louis XVI. This youngest daughter named,"Jeanne-Louise Victoire" became know as Zoe when she became a member of the royal household. Her father and mother died within a few months of each other and when Marie Antoinette heard that the three girls were orphaned at once declared, "I adopt them"!
The two eldest sisters were placed in the Convent of the Visitation, in the Rue St. Jacques. "Zoe", who in 1790 was three years old like the second dauphin became his playmate. She was installed in the royal apartments.
She was the Dauphin's playmate in the Tuileries between 1790-1791 when the children passed much of the time with the Queen.

At the time of her flight to Varennes, Marie Antoinette had to take great precautions to place Ernestine and Zoe in safety. The former was entrusted to her father who was then living at Versailles, and to her father's home were even taken the toys, furniture, books, and piano which Ernestine had received as the same time as her companion. Zoe went back to her sisters at the Visitation Convent, and was to remain even after the return from Varennes.

In the Temple, Marie Antoinette was anxious about her adopted children.
She managed to ascertain from an obliging guard that Zoe and her two sisters had been taken to their father's family at Brives la Gaillarde. But she knew nothing about what became of Ernestine , whose father was guillotined during the Terror.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:16 am
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Very interesting thank you Princess Diana Lenska! :D

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:53 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This is extremely helpful. Thank you, Princess. I know that Zoe later joined the Visitation monastery and became a nun but she died at the beginning of the Restoration.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:31 pm
Post a to z on marie antoinette children and the ones she adopted
i would like a list of the children of marie antoinette and louis XVI cause i would like to know who they were and i am reading the book by antonia fraser called Marrie Antoinette the journey and would like to get some information about her care for children
luv adele x

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Children adopted by Marie Antoinette!
Princess Diana Lenska wrote:
I am starting this topic in reply to a request by members, severina", :) and "Elizabeth", :) about children Marie Antoinette helped/and or adopted. I thought this would be a good place for members to reveal stories of children adopted by Marie Antoinette. For many of the children she loved and helped are lost memories I thought as many as we know should be revealed in this forum. There is a story that is rarely revealed in most biographies of her life about a small black child given to her.
In 1787, Chevalier de Boufflers, a great traveler, brought back to the Queen from Senegal a parrot....and a young negro child. Instead of treating the black child as a little blackamoor, as was customary, and taking him into her service, Marie Antoinette took the little child in her arms and in front of the french court, kissed him, declared she was adopting him and then had him baptized at Notre Dame and gave him the christian name of Jean Amilar. Muller, one of the Queen's houseboys, was instructed to look after him. After the days of October, when revolutionary conditions made it difficult to find a lodging for him at the Tuileries, Marie Antoinette had him placed in an institution for children at St. Cloud and made monthly payments for him up to August 10th through
Monsieur de Salvert. When the monarchy fell and Marie Antoinette was made a prisoner in the Temple, nobody had the charity to look after this black child. Driven from the place where he boarded, he died of cold and hunger. THIS was the legacy of the revolution.

I missed the first part of this thread. Truly, this is very interesting, Princess! Thank you, so much!!

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2