Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Understanding Marie's Quotes 
Post Understanding Marie's Quotes
I was at a workshop (unrelated) this past weekend when someone quoted Marie Antoniette but, didn't know the meaning behind it. Does anyone know how this came about?

"If the people have no bread, let them eat cake.”

Thank you in advance!
Michelle

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi, Michelle ! First of all, Marie-Antoinette never said this awful sentence ! In french, it is "s'il n'ont pas de pain, qu'ils mangent de la brioche", and we know for long she never spoke so ! She was, on the contrary, full of compassion for other human beings' sufferings. She tried to help them the best she could, through charity, and even adopting poor children (Armand, Ernerstine, Zoé).

Now, why do people tell she spoke this ? Since years and years before the french revolution, pamphltes were published damaging the queen's reputation. I don't pretend she was perfect, but a lot of people had interests in detroying her image. Jealous courtiers, ambitious princes...

Later, the french rebels would use these writings for fighting against kingship by divine rights. They attacked the king for being impotent, and the queen for being too powerful... and Austrian, of course ! They said she was extravagant, selfish, debauched, stupid... a completely silly blonde, you see !

Well, she was extravagant, indeed, and she tried to hide the best she could in her little trianon, for raising her children with friends she loved. She wanted to have her way... and she paid high price for it !
People said that she lived hidden because she had horrible debaucheries to hide !

So, among others awful behaviours, someday, they added this sentence. When ? I really don't know... does it matter ? They did so more evil... they accused her of having abused her own son, aged 8.
Strangely, popular history forgot this true unjustice, while everybody remembers this false quotation...

Now... did someone even speak these famous words ? There are different options... another queen, long ago, or one of Louis XV's daughters ? Actually, we don't know...

But good-hearted Marie-Antoinette ? No way !

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:12 am
Post Quote Meaning
I really appreciate you going to all the effort in this explanation. I will forward that on to the one questioning it. It is unfortunate to be misquoted present or in the past. From everything I have read about Marie Antoinette she was caring. I was horrified when reading about the necklace scandal. Amazing how truth is always stranger than fiction.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I once read though that if Marie Antoinette had said "Let Them Eat Cake" it would've been a correct statement cause French Law at the time said that when there was not enough bread that cakes must go for sale at the price of bread so they people wouldn't starve

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The queen of Louis XIV may have said, "Mon Dieu, why do they not eat pastry crust?" when she heard the people of Paris had no bread. The patisseries in Paris often gave their leftovers to the beggars. But Marie-Antoinette never said any such thing.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:12 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh I know she didn't but its something to point out to people when they say it was a stupid comment.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]