Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 monarchy or MA?- 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think that monarchy is a beautiful institution... but even if the Queen is regnant and not consort that is fabolous.. Elizabeth I for ex.

Sat May 19, 2007 10:15 pm
Profile YIM
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I completely agree with you Pimprenelle and Therese about Louis XVI.
He wasn't inactive at all!
I'm really not sure how that notion got out into the world or what on earth it could possibly have been based on since he worked tirelessly his entire reign, maybe a bit less during the times of his great losses but he was never inactive. It wasn't in his temperament to be. I have just been re-reading Bernard Fay and highlighting all of the steps he took to make France a better place to live and to save his family and himself. It's quite exhausting to be honest. I'm also impatiently waiting for an order of books by Girault de Coursac on him.

I do find it unbeleivable though, that the most devoted and Liberal of kings should get his head chopped off. He did the most for France! the only difference was that he also had the most people working against him , him and Antoinette actually.It makes me really sad. But it kindove goes with the saying " only the good die young".
I think that it might be that the weak willed persona generally attributed to him (grrrr) , is partly because he was moderate and also timid. It seems his enemies took whatever they possibly could of his character to turn against him and consequently M.A. as well.

As to his religion, i don't think it was a screen at all, in fact I honestly beleive that it was what helped him get through and deal with all that he had to and still be able to face his problems head on with strength and dignity.Actually, reading about his piety , and how strongly he believed made me see religion in a different way. I can say that i honestly have more respect now for genuinely religious people.

hmm, about the monarchy.. well i don't think it's such a horrible idea , but i do think it would be ill suited to our times. However if we did have a king who was like Louis XVI, then i would be for it 110 %

Mon May 21, 2007 1:18 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I completely agree with you Pimprenelle and Therese about Louis XVI.
He wasn't inactive at all!
I'm really not sure how that notion got out into the world or what on earth it could possibly have been based on since he worked tirelessly his entire reign, maybe a bit less during the times of his great losses but he was never inactive. It wasn't in his temperament to be. I have just been re-reading Bernard Fay and highlighting all of the steps he took to make France a better place to live and to save his family and himself. It's quite exhausting to be honest. I'm also impatiently waiting for an order of books by Girault de Coursac on him.

I do find it unbeleivable though, that the most devoted and Liberal of kings should get his head chopped off. He did the most for France! the only difference was that he also had the most people working against him , him and Antoinette actually.It makes me really sad. But it kindove goes with the saying " only the good die young".
I think that it might be that the weak willed persona generally attributed to him (grrrr) , is partly because he was moderate and also timid. It seems his enemies took whatever they possibly could of his character to turn against him and consequently M.A. as well.

As to his religion, i don't think it was a screen at all, in fact I honestly beleive that it was what helped him get through and deal with all that he had to and still be able to face his problems head on with strength and dignity.Actually, reading about his piety , and how strongly he believed made me see religion in a different way. I can say that i honestly have more respect now for genuinely religious people.

hmm, about the monarchy.. well i don't think it's such a horrible idea , but i do think it would be ill suited to our times. However if we did have a king who was like Louis XVI, then i would be for it 110 %

I totally agree.

Mon May 21, 2007 1:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4