Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 La princesse de Lamballe 
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: La princesse de Lamballe
Execution I understand completely, however dismembering them? I don't think that was necessary.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hellou wrote:

"Execution I understand completely....."

I don't! The Princesse de Lamballe presented a threat to no-one, but she was in fact family to the Queen.

She was mutilated, torn apart like a deer at the hunt, the crowd taking particular attention to the genital areas. There is no pardoning such behaviour, drunk or not. They deserved to be hunted down, which was my particular speciality! :twisted:

Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't understand execution either. Apart from the fact that I can't understand executions in general, but one can say that in the past it was normal; ok, but why executiong the Princesse de Lamballe? She was not the king, who had a political role (so that killing the King of France could be seen as killing the monarchy), and not even the Queen. Her only fault was to be a noble, and a friend of the queen. A lot of people were killed during the revolution without any other fault than being noble, and I can't understand that.

I think her case was the typical example of what hate can do. People hated MA, so they hated her because she was her friend; and pamphlets and propaganda had depicted the princess of Lamballe like MA's lover, the one who took part in the queen's supposed pleasures while the people starved. The extreme result was that terrible bloodshed. But still that something within me that cannot understand how people can turn into such beasts. :evil:

Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i think its all ridicoulus, revolution, pah! more like a rebellion of idiots, quit being lazy and farm for yourselves.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
They were drunk!?! How could have they been capable this committing these atrocities when they were drunk? I can comprehend getting into a brawl, or doing something incredibly stupid saying utterly ridiculous things. But ruthlessly raping a woman, murdering, tearing her corpse, placing her genitals, her head, and her breasts on a pike parading it around like a prize? It seems too callus or them to have been drunk.

Some years later in Sweden a similar thing happened to Fersen. He was killed by a mob in Stockholm, as you might know. Some people who wanted to give Fersen a lesson (for something they thought he did, but he did not) gave out free beer to the public when the atmosphere was already heated. That same day the drunks brutaly killed Fersen and did horrible things to him. So I'm not at all surprised that the mob that killed Lamballe also were drunk. Alcohol is the root of much evil.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:18 pm
Royalty
Royalty

I concur. It never seizes to amaze me. I suppose people were angry drunkards then? I find a little alcohol is all right, however getting drunk is unacceptable.

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh! I had no idea that Fersen met such a terrible end! That's awful :[
I would've stayed in America.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Destiny of princesse de Lamballe certainly wasn’t unique, many aristocrats died in a similar way. I understand suffer of the lower states, they were suppressed but, like always, they were just used for interests of others. Actually they didn’t have some huge benefits from the revolution, just change of power. However crimes like that are horrible, that was their revenge to aristocrats, alcohol made them to behave even worse.

While looking through the portraits by my favourite artists, I have found the information bellow. Revolution was indeed one of the sad chapters in history.

The Hon. Mrs. Thomas Graham (1757-1792). This portrait was created a year after her marriage to Hon. Thomas Graham. She fell ill and died during her journey to France in 1792. Her remains were defiled by the mob, as it happened during the French Revolution. Her husband, who loved her dearly, could not look at the portrait after her death. He ordered to take it away. The portrait was discovered by his descendants later and presented to the National Gallery of Scotland.

Attachments:
Thomas Gainsborough.  The Hon. Mrs. Thomas Graham. Exhibited R.A. 1777..jpg
Thomas Gainsborough. The Hon. Mrs. Thomas Graham. Exhibited R.A. 1777..jpg [ 44.77 KiB | Viewed 1465 times ]

Last edited by Marija Vera on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you for posting.
And the portrait is beautiful...and the lady is very beautiful too

Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You're welcome dear Rosalie.

Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:44 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Mon dieu...I am reading the biography of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire and it mentions how she was infatuated with Mary Graham for a while.....I did not know this poor lady was desecrated in such a terrible manner! :( Marija, who is your avatar portrait of, and do you know who painted it? Elle est belle!

Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:57 am
Royalty
Royalty

That is actually one of my favorite portraits. I thought "Oh what a lovely lady." and I thought nothing more about it. That poor woman! Thank you for sharing the information Marija Vera! :)

Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Délicate fleur wrote:
Mon dieu...I am reading the biography of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire and it mentions how she was infatuated with Mary Graham for a while.....I did not know this poor lady was desecrated in such a terrible manner! :( Marija, who is your avatar portrait of, and do you know who painted it? Elle est belle!

Yes, for my avatar I use portrait of Lady Worsley, painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds, 1776. I really like that portrait, in some way she reminds me on me. :)
I like looking at portraits from 18th century, on http://www.abcgallery.com (Olga’s Gallery) you can find many artworks from all sorts of artists and movements. I strongly recommend you to look works from John Singleton Copley (1737-1815), Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), William Hogarth (1697-1764), Jean-Antoine Watteau… Their works are amazing.

Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

the portrait is very beautiful!

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:05 am
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Almost everything from the 18th century is beautiful. I was born in the wrong century! :(

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next