Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 La princesse de Lamballe 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: La princesse de Lamballe
welcome to my life. :[
who is the portrait of?
id guess lamballe?

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:16 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I guess a lot of people in this forum share this feeling, Comte...I do, at least

Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:55 pm
Royalty
Royalty

As strange as this sounds however when I was younger I thought that all the people who wanted to live in the 18th century should form a country and live there, or at least wear clothing from the 18th century!

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

madame, you've read my mind, you can all live in my garden ;]

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sign me in! :)

Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Ah merci. I will make it my personal to rid of any annoying insects, and keep the beneficial ones in the garden! :)

Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

ah yes! although all of the guest qaurters are outside the cour de Honneur, so we can frollic later :]

Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Noble
Noble

Thanks for your answers. I believe the people many times is manipulated by hateful person. I hate all the barberies on the french revolution. the masscres of September must have been frightful for the unfortunate persons who if found in the prisions. :twisted:

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:41 am
Royalty
Royalty

It must have been terrifying!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

When I think about the revolution, I try to see both sides, the subject is very sensitive and I don’t want to be unfair. I try to imagine like that is happening now.
Shortly before the French revolution, France had had over 25 million citizens. Over the 22 million were members of the third estate and many of them had lived in very bad conditions, not because they didn’t work but because the bad weather –cold winters- and crazy taxes- tax on a member of a household, church tax, tax on salt…Aristocrats had lived in wealth only because they were lucky enough to be born in noble families, to own land and live in a favor of the king who could increase their benefits. Differences between the large group of people, who had been working very hard but had lived in poverty, and much smaller group, that had had everything often by doing nothing and had had all political power, were huge. Aristocrats of higher rank coasted the French state about 107 million livara (I don’t know the translation of this custom) each year. People of the third estate had been fighting for their rights many times in history before the French revolution with more or less success. They sow aristocrats as some people, for example, see Paris Hilton today- as shallow, extravagant, egocentric, hypocrite…Imagine that your kids are dying of starvation and many diseases caused by bad conditions, that you are facing to lose your house, suffer in terrible poverty but still have to pay numerous taxes while beautiful carriages are passing buy with beautiful ladies inside, in priceless gowns and with fixed hair to be up to one meter high. That of course leaded to dissatisfaction and rage. People were also affected by the great propaganda and perverse stories connected to their queen.
France was in great debt during the reign of Louis XV. During the reign of Louis XVI, things became even worst and France was facing a financial brake down so changes were necessary. King, influenced by noblemen, refused two proposed financial reforms because they could lead to estate equality and the end of feudalism. In the 1789, when the revolution started, royal family was stroked by the tragedy- son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette had died. One man, revolutionary, asked them why they were crying for their one son when thousands children had already died in France from starvation.
The revolution was based on good ideas, to make all people equal, to give them the same possibility to success. Among the revolutionary were many intelligent, rational people who deserve deep respect but despite their effort, unfortunately, they couldn’t overrule the angry, bloodthirsty mob. Situation was the same among the aristocrats, many of them were aware of necessary of changes and wanted to cooperate but couldn’t overrule the others, blinded by their greediness and proud, who refused to make even a slightest compromise when the catastrophe might had been avoided.
The French revolution ended so badly because disability of the two sides to make a compromise. That’s the great example of one proverb- The way to the hell is built by the good intentions (Put do pakla poplocan je dobrim namerama) - how good ideas can easily be used in such a bad manner.
The point is that the things are never black or white, but gray. I appeal to all of us who like Marie Antoinette and have negative attitude towards the revolution, to look at the things objectively and avoid unfairness which is so often while talking about this subject, whatever side you are on.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you so much for your information Marija!

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

I couldn't agree more Marija Vera.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I perfectly agree with you, Marija Vera. The situation of France and the subsequent Revolution involved many different trgedies, and both parts had their reasons and their losses.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I felt need to make that clear. I am very glad that you think the same.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i also agree, i just cant get it out of my mind that it was so awful, its such a sad story.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next