Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Who really started the French Revolution? 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Who really started the French Revolution?
Of course! There was much to be changed. But still, I think it could have taken place in very different ways. And I think the responsibilities for this were on both sides, and, what is maybe more tragic, most of the actors didn't want it to take place as it did. I think great part of them tried to do their best, including the king, but made mistakes. I've talked about this somewhere else, I remember (even if I can't remember where now!).
I think you're right, Anouk, about there being a point in th "chain" where things change. Personally, I think in the French Revolution it was veen before; I think already at ht etake of Bastille, because it was the first moment when violence not only exploded, but brought to a general collapse of public control. I'm reading S. Schama's Citizens now, and I'm at the point where it describes the situation all around France after July 14th. there was an xplosion of violence and fear throuout the countrysides, and in all the districts of the Country, and no-one realy understood who was in charge of things.
But I think in the Revolution there were more than one "break points". A very important one is of course the king's execution, because it changed avery perspective, and also represented the beginning of the Terror.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Yes, you're right. After the Basille's fall violence diffused.
And maybe an other fault was the Girondists' extraction... But this event is far from the original topic what is about the beginning of the revolution :roll:

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, I think it's not really far...I mean, as you said the Revolution was a sequence of steps, so...it's interesting ti see how it changed due to some events. And I agree, the Girondins' disgrace was another turning point!

Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4