Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 My misunderstandings... 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

They were also quick to villify Charlotte Corday. I read an essay on the internet about it once. It discusses how they did it to Marie Antoinette during her life and Charlotte Corday after her death

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:08 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Here's Baudry's answer to David's painting. With the map in the background, Corday is presented as a representative of the people of France: they'd had enough of these psychotic Parisians.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

thanks for posting ot

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've seen a paint ing similar to this one--Charlotte Corday is standing much closer to the bathtub.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:31 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It is truly sad that our beloved Antoinette didn't curb her extravagance in time to save her.........

Why must revolution be so bloody? The slaughter of the monarchy was not necassary! Honestly. I have heard rumors of what the did to Princesse de Lamballe and I was completely horrified~

I suppose that we can sympathize because of the possibility of past lives,ne?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In my view, Marie Antoinette's expenses had nothing to do with the revolution. They were but a pretext... The revolution is due to structural causes most of all, and Marie Antoinette was not responsible for that.

About Mme de Lamballe, dear, we can hope that she did not suffer too much... I've read that the first blow that hit her head killed her. Let's hope so...

How could it be possible that any human being would feel no compassion when hearing about someone else's sufferings ?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:29 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

They weren't human beings. They were monsters! They all recieved their justice. And making her son sing songs of the Revolution?! Abissmal!!!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

They were handled, and plugged by the crowd's movement and the beautiful principles of freedom and equality which were used to them as pretext. :?

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

They weren't human beings. They were monsters! They all recieved their justice. And making her son sing songs of the Revolution?! Abissmal!!!

I did not mean them. I meant us. I think it is normal that we feel affected by such sufferings.

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:21 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Oh! I'm sorry!! I often misread things! Lol! thank you for clearing it up though

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Don't be sorry, La Dauphine... Surely I was not clear enough ! :wink: It often happens to me.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

It's quite alright! I misread things on an almost daily basis! And last night I was watching TV and the 1938 Marie Antoinette came on. As it was based on Steven Zweig's biography it didn't really show Marie Antoinette as a kind person at all. The newer version (while horribly condensed) contains more historically accurate costumes and at least treat Marie with kindness instead of the venom she has been subject to ever since she was born.....

I do wish the newer version would have shown the Revolution and Diamond Necklace Affair!

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Weeell, I don't think Zweig's book was so bad. In my opinion he tried to be objective as for the times he lived and wrote it. Besides too sweet books are not so good as we know that there is not a perfect man. They would not be reliable

But, another point - revolution. Each revolution is cruel, its leaders need the main culprit - it is not important if you are guilty or not. They want destroy every man who has a different opinion. Look at the Russian Revolution. It was the same. Killing people with different opinion was the main aim, just to destroy people and their children, not to leave even the one person who could be a danger for the in the future. Look at holocaust, nazi wanted to kill all Jews. And it was the same with French revolution - to kill each aristocrat who would want rebuild monarchy in the future, to kill opponents of revolution, because they could be widening their opinions. No mercy ! It was revolutionists or nazists motto.

One way or another - revolutionists would have killed the queen even if she hadn't called Austrian for help her family and monarchy.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:53 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Weeell, I don't think Zweig's book was so bad. In my opinion he tried to be objective as for the times he lived and wrote it. Besides too sweet books are not so good as we know that there is not a perfect man. They would not be reliable

But, another point - revolution. Each revolution is cruel, its leaders need the main culprit - it is not important if you are guilty or not. They want destroy every man who has a different opinion. Look at the Russian Revolution. It was the same. Killing people with different opinion was the main aim, just to destroy people and their children, not to leave even the one person who could be a danger for the in the future. Look at holocaust, nazi wanted to kill all Jews. And it was the same with French revolution - to kill each aristocrat who would want rebuild monarchy in the future, to kill opponents of revolution, because they could be widening their opinions. No mercy ! It was revolutionists or nazists motto.

One way or another - revolutionists would have killed the queen even if she hadn't called Austrian for help her family and monarchy.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:57 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:

Indeed! And then Fouquier-Tinville did not have the evidence on this treason during the lawsuit... they wanted to kill her just because she had been Reine, and Austrian.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next