Marie Antoinette Online Forum
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/

So who was guillotined?
http://forum.marie-antoinette.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=704
Page 2 of 4

Author:  versailles [ Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

Elizabeth wrote:
Mme Campan escaped, which has been stated only due to the fall of Robespierre. She lived in the end of her life at Mantes and died in 1822. Her Memoires sur la Vie privee de la Reine Marie-Antoinette published the year after her death. Of course, Madame Royale survived and her story is very much worthy of further reading. :wink:



i read that!!! but it was translated

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Re:

versailles wrote:
Elizabeth wrote:
Mme Campan escaped, which has been stated only due to the fall of Robespierre. She lived in the end of her life at Mantes and died in 1822. Her Memoires sur la Vie privee de la Reine Marie-Antoinette published the year after her death. Of course, Madame Royale survived and her story is very much worthy of further reading. :wink:



i read that!!! but it was translated

mhm!

Author:  Faye [ Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

I’m not sure where to post this question and I have searched through a lot of the topics so please excuse me if this is already in another thread... (and would appreciate re-direction)

I would like to know where exactly was the place where MA and Louis were guillotined – and was it the same spot?

We thought it may have been the Place de la Concorde? (Which was renamed from place de la revolution?) But not specifically where .... couldn’t find any information around that spot whilst there ....

Any help would be great!

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Place_de_la_Concorde

Author:  Faye [ Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

thanks muchly .. have read that before and sorry may have completely missed it but is the obelisk where the guillotine was?

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

I flipped through the site and the youngest person was in prison and they were 14 years old. And the oldest person who was either executed if I can recall was 96. I think.

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

The youngest person was 14 and he was condemned to 20 years in prison.


"SAINT - MARRY A.F ., 14-year-old, born in Paris, ex-nobleman, condemned in 20 years of imprisonment, and six hours of exhibition, waited its age, as persuaded to have declared itself enemy of the people, and been a party to the conspiracy of the prison of Luxembourg where he was detained."

However I have yet to remember the oldest person.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

Faye wrote:
thanks muchly .. have read that before and sorry may have completely missed it but is the obelisk where the guillotine was?


That'd be my guess.

Author:  Faye [ Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

It is very strange, from a foreigners point of view, that there is so little information in a place of so much significance!

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

Faye wrote:
It is very strange, from a foreigners point of view, that there is so little information in a place of so much significance!

Honestly, I prefer not to think about it.

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

The reason maybe is that it is a place that is so versatile that there has been different purposes had been intended at different times. For instance it could have been a market. While you think that Marie Antoinette was guilitoned there, some one else would think " Oh. That's where the old market used to be."

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

Hellou_Librorum wrote:
The reason maybe is that it is a place that is so versatile that there has been different purposes had been intended at different times. For instance it could have been a market. While you think that Marie Antoinette was guilitoned there, some one else would think " Oh. That's where the old market used to be."

Yeah.

Author:  Faye [ Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

yeah i agree .. shows how different countries are ... If someone famous so much as sneezed here there would be signposts about it! haha

Author:  Hellou_Librorum [ Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

This is off topic but, on the HMS Victory ( Admiral Nelson's Ship at the battle of Trafalgar) has a sign were Admiral Nelson fell.

Author:  Comte de Provence [ Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: So who was guillotined?

Faye wrote:
yeah i agree .. shows how different countries are ... If someone famous so much as sneezed here there would be signposts about it! haha

I know. It's ridiculous anymore.
Were so into showing historical signifigance, but we lets marvels fall into ruin.
Like this;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72219410@N00/407708747/

Page 2 of 4 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/